Interference Random Movie Talk III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO8x2zu44CE

This is what appears to be some kind of international trailer for Woody Allen's new film, Vicky Christina Barcelona.

It looks AMAZING. Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Scarlett Johansson, and Rebecca Hall (Christian Bale's wife in The Prestige).

Keep your eyes peeled for the Scarlett-Penelope MAKE OUT scene. Ay, caramba!

lazarus said:
I already saw this. I read AICN daily, though I rarely post in the talkbacks anymore, which have become more and more juvenile. I was all over that thing 10 years ago. Would you believe there used to be intelligent discourse about film on that site?

Sorry, nice rack, is that what you wanted to hear? :eyebrow:

I wouldn't mind undoing that doodle.

Ah, shoulda figured you saw those pics already. I've tried reading the talkbacks... it's impossible.

I hate pasties.

Youth Without Youth came out on DVD today, in case anyone wanted to know.

Pretty sure it's $20 over at Best Buy.

Coppola always has great commentaries so I'm sure this will be no different, and it looks as though there are several other documentaries on there as well.

explode.gif

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/13/konami-says-paul-thomas-anderson-is-circling-metal-gear-solid/

aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

This needs to be true.

Son of a mother's lover...

I really hope the guy didn't confuse the Thomas and the Wanky Shit. Like really, really.

Tarantino doing GTA would be hilariously awesome, too. He'd have to do Vice City, that's just too much fun to be missed.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
Son of a mother's lover...

I really hope the guy didn't confuse the Thomas and the Wanky Shit. Like really, really.

I don't think Konami much less Kojima himself would allow that hack within 100 miles of their bread and butter franchise.

Lancemc said:

I don't think Konami much less Kojima himself would allow that hack within 100 miles of their bread and butter franchise.

Even after the triumphant Resident Evil trilogy and upcoming Castlevania and Death Race flicks?

The only compliment I can give the guy is "at least he's not Uwe Boll."

Quick change of subject, just saw Goodfellas for the first time today. I'd like to watch it sync'd up with Boogie Nights and see how they compare.

lazarus said:

Keep your eyes peeled for the Scarlett-Penelope MAKE OUT scene.

WHAT???

Is this a joke? Because if this is a joke, it's not a very funny one. Don't mess with my emotions like that, man.

Will they be horizontal or vertical during said make-out session? I picture ScarJo on top....in control of the action.

Anyway, that's the best news I've heard all day.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Quick change of subject, just saw Goodfellas for the first time today. I'd like to watch it sync'd up with Boogie Nights and see how they compare.

Yeah, Boogie Nights definitely feels less impressive when you reflect on how derivative it is. It's hugely entertaining, but pretty lightweight compared to what it's inspired by.

No further comments? I'd like to hear your comparison of its blunt realism in portraying the mob to The Godfather's operatic glorification.

And of course, you also need to see Once Upon a Time in America to watch what I believe is the best of all the gangster films.

lazarus said:

Yeah, Boogie Nights definitely feels less impressive when you reflect on how derivative it is. It's hugely entertaining, but pretty lightweight compared to what it's inspired by.

No further comments? I'd like to hear your comparison of its blunt realism in portraying the mob to The Godfather's operatic glorification.

And of course, you also need to see Once Upon a Time in America to watch what I believe is the best of all the gangster films.

I was waiting until you were on to have some type of discussion. It would be interesting to watch GP 1 and 2, then Goodfellas, to see the time progression and change in mafia or something.

Joe Pesci's an absolute force in every scene he's in, definitely the most entertaining character of the whole movie. Although I did enjoy Paul Sorvino's restrained father figure conflicting with De Niro's slick worse influence.

I really dug Scorsese's use of color - reds during scenes of debauchery or violence in particular and decision to make the coked-up section of the flick filled with as many crazy shots and jumpcuts as Michael Bay's biggest wet dream.

This is something I'll enjoy far more upon second viewing or discussion, but I can see it falling into my favorite movies list in the future.

9 or a 10 for me.

lazarus said:

I love that little eyebrow-raise that ScarJo gives at 0:55.

Desktop'd.

D-Day in Nine is just about the craziest news all week. That would be insanely amazingly spectacularly awesome.

As for Goodfellas, now one of my favorite Scorsese picks. Expertly made to be sure, but it just doesn't rock me too much. Not a particularly big fan of Liotta, and even less so of DeNiro.

Watch Once Upon A Time In America LMP. Best gangster movie of all time, and in my overall top 10. Despite the DeNiro-age in it.

I saw GoodFellas when it came out, and perhaps my nostalgia has clouded my judgement. But I feel that it's been ripped off so many times its merit and originality is hard to appreciate now.

If you consider the glorified mafia films of the past, it was a very refreshing and sobering look at the life those people lead. It's also totally responsible for the existence of stuff like The Sopranos.

Lancemc said:
D-Day in Nine is just about the craziest news all week. That would be insanely amazingly spectacularly awesome.

As for Goodfellas, now one of my favorite Scorsese picks. Expertly made to be sure, but it just doesn't rock me too much. Not a particularly big fan of Liotta, and even less so of DeNiro.

Watch Once Upon A Time In America LMP. Best gangster movie of all time, and in my overall top 10. Despite the DeNiro-age in it.

I liked Liotta, but he was the weakest link in the cast for sure. You're not a big De Niro fan? I haven't seen enough of his "big" films to make a proper assessment, but I've enjoyed him when he doesn't mail it in.

Once Upon a Time... is definitely on the radar, thanks for that suggestion, guys.

And yeah Laz, that's what I loved so much about this film, it objectively looks at the lifestyle they lead and doesn't make any attempt to glorify it. That turns me off from any crime-based or super amoral film - American Gangster is a prime example.

Looks like Uncle Jim will in fact be following Avatar will a much smaller dramatic picture.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3iddf6bb69274592b7ec2e40457c0ebf76

Turns out it's likely to be The Dive, a controversial film he's been attached to for a long time. I say expect to this thing one some time in 2011.

Of course that means Battle Angel won't likely see the light of day any time before 2012 now, probably even later. But I'm fine with that. I really want to see The Dive come to fruition.

Lance, read your Speed Racer review. I really enjoyed reading it and appreciate the effort you put into conveying your thoughts. I have spoken to a few friends back in LA, some in the industry, some not in it, and have heard mixed things. I want to see it for myself on an IMax screen, regardless of the reviews and such. I suspect I'll not like it nearly as much as you did, but it still seems like something I need to see in a theater.

I seemed to appreciate and enjoy Speed Racer in much the same capacities in which I appreciate and enjoy the Matrix sequels (which I both appreciate and enjoy much more than most people seem to). Meaning in terms of their ambitions, technical innovations and visionary conceptions, beautiful compositions and often unrivaled action sensibilities. All three films suffer in other areas though, but I feel it balances more in their favor (Revolutions less so, however, I'd still score that one about a 6) from my perspective.

Just the same, I think Speed Racer is the easiest of the three to enjoy in a more superficial and relaxed manner, though I may be wrong there too considering the generally negative critical and commercial responce.

If a film's easy to bash and has inklings of negativity, it's gonna snowball into a full-blown spiral of hate, which is pretty much what's happened to Speed Racer.

By the time Indy and probably Kung Fu Panda come out (gonna go IMAX), Speed'll probably be out of theaters.

Oh yeah, Speed's days are definitely numbered. But it's likely to see a pretty healthy run in Japan supposedly, which might at least rescue it from complete financial destruction.

Lancemc said:
Oh yeah, Speed's days are definitely numbered. But it's likely to see a pretty healthy run in Japan supposedly, which might at least rescue it from complete financial destruction.

If it makes $150 mil worldwide, it'll be lucky. Hopefully merch and DVD/Blu-ray will help re-coup. If I get a Blu-ray player anytime soon, I'd definitely want to rent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom