Interference Random Movie Talk III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I don't want to steal your thunder.

hello-kitty-darth-vader.jpg

Screwtape2 said:
I'm watching Star Wars Episode One and I can't tell what was the worse idea: the pod race or Jar-Jar Binks.

Help me out people.

The pod race is at least a thrilling sequence, even if it's a bit too long.

Jar Jar can fucking blow me. If that wasn't a terrible caricature of Rastafarians as the Nemoidians are Chinese and Watto's an Italian or Jew, I don't know what to think anymore.

LemonMacPhisto said:

The pod race is at least a thrilling sequence, even if it's a bit too long.

Jar Jar can fucking blow me. If that wasn't a terrible caricature of Rastafarians as the Nemoidians are Chinese and Watto's an Italian or Jew, I don't know what to think anymore.

I thought it was humorous that Jar-Jar still made an appearence in Episode 2 after all the backlash. Not a terrible movie even with Jar-Jar and Anakin's terrible acting.

Screwtape2 said:

I thought it was humorous that Jar-Jar still made an appearence in Episode 2 after all the backlash. Not a terrible movie even with Jar-Jar and Anakin's terrible acting.

True, but he does bring about the downfall of the republic by calling for Palps to have that SuperMega Power. That alone is hilarious.

Anakin, in every movie, was terrible. No question about it.

You know, I thought there was an original plan to have Jar Jar play the fool, only to redeem himself by sacrificing his life to save the twins or something, but Lucas just relegated him to the sidelines. Which was good in that we didn't have to deal with him by the third film, but lame in that it made his character completely frivolous. At least there could have been a point to him being around in the first place.

As for Darth Maul's appearance, you may have noticed Qui-Gon and Anakin are both running before he shows up, without any explanation as to why. I think there's a deleted scene (which may or may not be on the DVD) where Qui-Gon discovers and destroys one of the probe droids, which causes him to accelerate their return to the ship. It's definitely in the screenplay.

lazarus said:
You know, I thought there was an original plan to have Jar Jar play the fool, only to redeem himself by sacrificing his life to save the twins or something, but Lucas just relegated him to the sidelines. Which was good in that we didn't have to deal with him by the third film, but lame in that it made his character completely frivolous. At least there could have been a point to him being around in the first place.

As for Darth Maul's appearance, you may have noticed Qui-Gon and Anakin are both running before he shows up, without any explanation as to why. I think there's a deleted scene (which may or may not be on the DVD) where Qui-Gon discovers and destroys one of the probe droids, which causes him to accelerate their return to the ship. It's definitely in the screenplay.

If Jar Jar wasn't such an ill-conceived character, I would've liked to see that.

You also see Anakin getting into a fight with a young Greedo in that same scene, which is cool to see.

Good read. It conveniently skims over many of the film's glaring flaws though, in light on reading far too deeply into the thematic or artistic relevance of the picture. He addresses some or the performances weaknesses, but ignores the often painful dialogue they're asked to read.

However, I do think he read the film's intentions correctly, and it's the moments of fleeting beauty that make it lovable. It's remarkably light-weight for Wong, and less narratively-propulsive than pretty much anything he's done before. As such, the flaws are extremely present. But like I said, it's still rich with his style and keen eye for beauty, and unexpected moments like Weisz' final monologue, a cameo appearance from Chan Marshall, and a candid look at Portman's character's only scene alone in the film really make a case for its power. Yeah, it's light fare, not really comparable to something heady like Happy Together or 2046, but when taken with Chunking Express (a similar film in tone) MBN really falls short.

Fortunately WKW falling short is still more satisfying than a lot of other directors' greater efforts.

I started with 2046. It worked out beautifully for me, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it first.

Chunking Express is probably a decent start, but it's fairly light-weight, and not one of my favorites of his (still probably a 9/10 just the same).

Haven't seen Ashes of Time. Waiting for the Redux of that which is supposed to debut at Cannes next month.

I'd say start with Days of Being Wild, his second film, and it's easy to see his career grow from there. Maybe watch In The Mood For Love after that, which leads nicely into 2046. Check out Chunking Express and Fallen Angels somewhere in the middle of that. Fallen Angels is my second favorite of his, and pretty much untouchable in its own ways. Happy Together could fit in anywhere in there, as it's a fairly self-contained project.

Lancemc said:
I started with 2046. It worked out beautifully for me, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it first.

Chunking Express is probably a decent start, but it's fairly light-weight, and not one of my favorites of his (still probably a 9/10 just the same).

Haven't seen Ashes of Time. Waiting for the Redux of that which is supposed to debut at Cannes next month.

I'd say start with Days of Being Wild, his second film, and it's easy to see his career grow from there. Maybe watch In The Mood For Love after that, which leads nicely into 2046. Check out Chunking Express and Fallen Angels somewhere in the middle of that. Fallen Angels is my second favorite of his, and pretty much untouchable in its own ways. Happy Together could fit in anywhere in there, as it's a fairly self-contained project.

So, in this order?:

Days of Being Wild
Chungking Express
Fallen Angels
In the Mood for Love
Happy Together
Ashes of Time
My Blueberry Nights?

Twice-approved. Don't forget about As Tears Go By, which I actually really enjoyed. Watch it before or after My Blueberry Nights.

Alright. Blueberry's his first English language-film, right?

I've got a few movies to watch on the Netflix queue, but I'll start adding these in there, too. Thanks for the input, guys.

lazarus said:

It's not on the DVD. Would have made a great scene though. :up:

Screwtape2 said:

It's not on the DVD. Would have made a great scene though. :up:

You're a big Lynch fan, where's a good place to get started? I've already seen Dune, which is weird and awesome in a whole bunch of ways, but think it's time to actually watch his stuff.

Is Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive good start-off points?

LemonMacPhisto said:

You're a big Lynch fan, where's a good place to get started? I've already seen Dune, which is weird and awesome in a whole bunch of ways, but think it's time to actually watch his stuff.

Is Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive good start-off points?

I think Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is his best work but Blue Velvet is sort of the template of his style: dark, violent and surreal. I'd start there though the pilot episode of Twin Peaks is a good next step. It is two of the best hours in television history.

Screwtape2 said:

I think Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is his best work but Blue Velvet is sort of the template of his style: dark, violent and surreal. I'd start there though the pilot episode of Twin Peaks is a good next step. It is two of the best hours in television history.

Alright, thank you. Would this be a good way to do it?:

Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
Twin Peaks / TP: Fire Walk with Me
The Elephant Man
The Straight Story
Wild at Heart
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
Inland Empire
---
His various short films and etc...

I'm going to watch this all on my iPod, too, just for him.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
The Elephant Man
The Straight Story
Wild at Heart
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
Inland Empire
---

That sounds good. :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:

Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
The Elephant Man
The Straight Story
Wild at Heart
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
Inland Empire
---

This and your WKW lists are pretty good, like peeps have already said.

And I know that last comment is tongue in cheek but you really are doing most films a disservice by watching them on an iPod. My parents were strict on films I could and couldn't watch before I was 15 and 18 too but it's really better to wait. There's no shortage of other great films to watch in the meantime. :D

monkeyskin said:

This and your WKW lists are pretty good, like peeps have already said.

And I know that last comment is tongue in cheek but you really are doing most films a disservice by watching them on an iPod. My parents were strict on films I could and couldn't watch before I was 15 and 18 too but it's really better to wait. There's no shortage of other great films to watch in the meantime. :D

I'm going to re-watch every movie I saw on it as soon as I can. There's no way I was able to take everything in on a screen that small, but I was so anxious to see those movies that I couldn't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom