Interference Random Movie Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still see Juno getting a Picture nom over Sweeney Todd and Atonement getting the Babel treatment.

DDL took home the People's Choice award too, as did the Coen Brothers & Javier Bardem, not to mention best movie. Still haven't seen anything that you guys have discussed here. I phail :reject:

Oh, and I've never seen Mad Men. When is it on, what channel? :reject:

It's on American Movie Classics, Lila. Not sure when, as it's inbetween seasons now. If you check the AMC website they'll tell you when repeats are gonna be on.

BIG ups to the H'wood Foreign Press for awarding Mad Men twice, and Extras! Take that, network television mediocrity!

LemonMacPhisto said:
I still see Juno getting a Picture nom over Sweeney Todd and Atonement getting the Babel treatment.

Well, here's the deal: Oscar noms were due by Saturday the 12th, so the Globes can really only affect the winners, not the noms. Atonement hadn't been doing too well with the guilds, so it's very possible it might not show up on the BP slate. It still LOOKS like a BP on paper, though. Hard to say.

Juno's lack of success here might affect its chances of actually winning anything big, but I feel its popularity and perfect timing (it started to bust wide open right when the nominated process started) will probably propel it hear.

Sweeney Todd--a very tough call. Probably didn't provide the rush that Chicago did, and will wind up getting the Moulin Rouge treatment. Some tech noms and Actor for Depp may be it. Even with tonight's win, I'm still having a hard time seeing Depp go all the way. Not even nominated for a SAG, that's tough, especially if DDL takes it over Clooney.

Bardem has to be considered a shoo-in at this point. I don't even think a sentimental win for Hal Holbrook is possible. The Amy Ryan/Cate Blanchett race looks to be the toughest. Julie Christie and Marion Cotillard seem headed for the finish line, but I don't know if enough voters are going to see La Vie En Rose to give the latter a chance. Christie may have won already but that was like 40 years ago, and she's kind of royalty at this point (and prob came very close to winning back in '97 with Afterglow).

Oh, okay, that makes sense.

I wonder if Into the Wild, apart from the Holbrook nom, will sneak in there and surprise.

Juno may still win Original Screenplay, much to your chagrin.

Into the Wild SHOULD make it, because Penn has a lot of Hollywood respect, and it's been nominated by all the guilds. It received SAG noms including ensemble, director's guild, writer's guild, etc. That's a good resume.

This is the other thing to consider. If Michael Clayton DOES make it to the BP roster (and it's been getting as much Guild love as Into the Wild, TWBB and No Country), and Juno doesn't, I feel like they'll have to give Clayton a booby prize. It's not likely to win anything else, so Original Screenplay may be the one.

The thought of Diablo Cody's obnoxious acceptance speech is too horrendous to even think about.

Look, they're dying, Artoo. Curse my metal body!

Can they take back Oscars? Like taking away Annie Hall's Oscar and giving it to Star Wars.

Come on!

LemonMacPhisto said:

But you're the one who thinks Jedi is the best.

...yeah.

I never said Jedi was the best film. It's easily my favorite to watch though. Empire is clearly the best, and the only one of the series I'd consider truly excellent.

Lancemc said:

I never said Jedi was the best film. It's easily my favorite to watch though. Empire is clearly the best, and the only one of the series I'd consider truly excellent.

Alright, I can't read. Fair enough.

Empire's only fault is that it's not self-contained, while the original can be watched whenever. I always feel like I have to watch Jedi after Empire... even if I don't really want to.

No spoken words said:
Pee Wee's Big Adventure > Over the Top > Howard the Duck

Pee-Wee's my 2nd fave Burton film after Ed Wood. It's a classic.

Is it a problem that I want to see Jumper just to see Sam Jackson beat the hell out of Hayden Christensen with an electro-whip/grappling hook-thing?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Is it a problem that I want to see Jumper just to see Sam Jackson beat the hell out of Hayden Christensen with an electro-whip/grappling hook-thing?

I don't think so, no.

Even when Hayden does a decent acting job, like in Shattered Glass, I still want him to go back in time and get his ass kicked in Fight Club.

No spoken words said:

I don't think so, no.

Even when Hayden does a decent acting job, like in Shattered Glass, I still want him to go back in time and get his ass kicked in Fight Club.

Just think, in some alternate universe, Christian Bale was cast as Anakin. And George Lucas didn't suffer severe head trauma while writing the dialogue for the prequels.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom