Interference Random Movie Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Malick's films, all of them. I will never forget watching Days of Heaven many years ago, not knowing a damn thing about him, and just being mesmerized the whole time.

No spoken words said:
I did like it again.

I just like Timothy Dalton a lot. He can actually act, and it shows. Yes, for sure, it is not nearly as lighthearted as the Moore films, but, there's a certain intensity to it that I liked. You'll never convince me that Brosnan was better, that's for sure....and I like Brosnan in many other films.

He's fucking awesome in Hot Fuzz.

I think mesmerizing is a great word to describe it. I just bought The New World on DVD today, so I'm in a Malick state of mind right now. Austin Lynch's making-of documentary on there was pretty fascinating. Malick is a real naturalist and historian. Brilliant man. I haven't seen Badlands yet, but it's in the mail right now from Netflix, along with All The Real Girls (finally!).

And have you seen any of Wong's short films? You could check them out in the meantime before your Wong-A-Thon later on. I think they're all on youtube. I could post them if you'd like. Some of them are rather brilliant.

Lancemc said:
Wong-A-Thon later on.

I'm sorry, but I giggled.

No spoken words said:
I have yet to see Hot Fuzz.

He's in The Lion in Winter, albeit at a young age.

He was in fucking Flash Gordon, of all things.

You'll love it, and it looks like I'll love The Lion in Winter.

Lancemc said:
I think mesmerizing is a great word to describe it. I just bought The New World on DVD today, so I'm in a Malick state of mind right now. Austin Lynch's making-of documentary on there was pretty fascinating. Malick is a real naturalist and historian. Brilliant man. I haven't seen Badlands yet, but it's in the mail right now from Netflix, along with All The Real Girls (finally!).

And have you seen any of Wong's short films? You could check them out in the meantime before your Wong-A-Thon later on. I think they're all on youtube. I could post them if you'd like. Some of them are rather brilliant.

As you do not need me to tell you, the Director of All the Real Girls is an obvious and admitted Malick devotee. I've seen 2 films by Green and enjoyed both. Badlands is lowest of the Malick films for me, but that's relative. I still liked it very much.

I get single minded with things sometimes, so, the Bond-a-thon trumps everything except watching Lost and The Wire. All other shows/films will wait until I'm done. Do you think that the short films are worth watching after the Bond-a-thon but before the WKW-a-thon starts in earnest? The Bond-a-thon will be done by week's end, at the latest.

I don't think the short films really have much pertinence one way or another. They're minor distractions really, little snippets of his style and thematic content explored in exercises of short-form narrative. I love them though, if only because they're more WKW. I'm not sure if you should watch them before or after the main catalogue, though I don't think it matters much either way. :shrug:

I'll stick to after, I think.....I will ask you to post them, though, when the time comes....thanks for making me aware of them/offering to post, I appreciate it.

You're just an afterbirth, Eli.

The All the Real Girls guy is directing Pineapple Express, which will arguably be the funniest movie of this year.

Lancemc said:
This might be a completely random and worthless question of taste, but I'm curious, specifically from Laz since I know you've seen almost all of the entirely of these two director's catalogues, which talent you prefer/believe to be the greater?

Wong Kar-Wai

or

Terrence Malick

I've been trying to reach a conclusion all night to no avail, though I'm not sure why it even matters. On the surface at first it seemed like a wholly incomparable pairing, but there really seems to be a remarkable similarity between these two filmmakers. What say you?

That's a very tough one. Malick is somewhat the elder statesman, yet WKW has like twice as many films. I think I ultimately have to go with Malick, because of the intelligence of the mind behind the camera. While WKW's films cast a spell on you, they are very much impressions, and it's really up to you to fill in the blanks with your own memories and regrets in life. With Malick, he also can bedazzle you visually, but I think he is saying so much more in each of his films.

I mean, I can tell you right now that I would take Days of Heaven over anything else by either guy. That film is just a slice of cinematic perfection.

Thanks for the insight Laz. I know what you're saying, though it's hard to weigh Malick's intellectual expression against WKW's ability to open taps into very deep personal spaces through his more impressionistic (as you put it) motivations. Likewise it's near impossible to pick the more visually or aurally stimulating filmmaker between the two.

I'm curious though, have you seen all Wong's shorts and commercials and stuffs?

I watched them all on fucking Youtube.

I should buy the DVD.

I should print my DVD list out one day, it's not great, but not bad. I keep adding to it, though.

Back
Top Bottom