Interference Random Movie Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No spoken words said:

You see what you get when you mess with the Orphans!?!!?!?

I'm actually a part of Tobias' tough-dancing street gang, but I can understand the confusion.

Lancemc said:
As far as films this decade that give it a run for its money... personally,

Punch Drunk Love
The New World
I'm Not There
Mulholland Drive
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

A few others.

It's certainly in good company as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with those, save for Punch Drunk...nothing against PTA or the film, but I'm not sure if it's as important as the others. A great little poem but a bit slight, and I think Eternal Sunshine is similar but much more profound.

I would also add Spirited Away to that list, and I still think Gangs of New York belongs on there, above TWBB.

Yeah, I forgot Spirited Away, that's definitely up there.

I can't justify placing Gangs with those other films though, no matter how much I love it. Too many flaws to overlook.

It is flawed for sure, and that final cemetery scene is wack, but there's just SO much amazing shit in there...I think 20 years from now its rep is only going to be better.

Daniel Day-Lewis' acceptance speech for his Best Actor award at the SAGs tonight was beautiful and heartbreaking, far from the cheap tribute it could have been. I was choked up. Again, the classiest act around, and I'd say after this the Oscar is LOCKED.:

"Thank you. I’m very, very proud of this. Thank you so much for giving it to me. And I’m very proud to be included in that group of wonderful actors this year.

You know, for as long as I can remember, the thing that gave me a sense of wonderment, of renewal, the thing that teased me with the question, how is such a thing possible, and then dare you to go back into the arena of one more time, with longing and self-doubt, jostling in the balance. It’s always been the work of other actors, and there are many actors in this room tonight, including my fellow nominees who have given that sense of regeneration and…

Heath Ledger gave it to me. [applause] In “Monster’s Ball,” that character that he created, it seemed to be almost like an unformed being, retreating from themselves, retreating from his father, from his life, even retreating from us, and yet we wanted to follow him, and yet we’re scared to follow him almost. It was unique. And then, of course, in “Brokeback Mountain,” he was unique, he was perfect. [applause] And that scene in the trailer at the end of the film is as moving as anything that I think I’ve ever seen. And I’d like to dedicate this to Heath Ledger. So, thank you very much. Thank you so much." [applause]

U2DMfan said:

at any point and time in this film, I thought there was going to be some gratuitous buggery, Tarantino-style.

I can see why you thought that. I think. :)

I'm down with a flim that's going to offer you good old fashioned street fighting...no CGI, no special effects, just some dudes with bats, or spray paint, or roller skates, or a molotov cocktail. Subways, buses loaded with punks, or maybe a bunch of dudes with hockey sticks out for a day at the beach. Lovely lovely stuff.

And one of my favorite movie quotes, ever:

"Why'd you kill Cyrus?"

"I just like doing stuff like that!"

Yeah, I think the reaction..especially over on that thread to Heath Ledger's passing has been hyperbolic and ridiculous, ultimately offensive to what he was. Seriously and respectfully.

He never would have asked for the comments, the papparazzi, to be compared to James Dean, Kurt Cobain, River Phoenix, on and on. It's an embarassing display. Most of it seems fine, shock, dismay, sadness. A few of you jumped the sanity shark.

All that said, Daniel Day Lewis gave a magnificent speech.
Wasn't too caught up in the self-importance of acting.
Ya know, acting, which kids call 'pretending' I think het gets it.
It's why I love him even more. Great actor, in all probability, a good man.

Anyhow, you can be a brilliant 'milk man', let's say and to overtly praise and bemoan the importance of your existence is actually, IMO, insulting. What's the point? Why would others do this?

Heath Ledger, I'd bet my house, never took himself as seriously as some of you have. Some of us lost someone whom we actually knew in the flesh in the last few months and weeks. I did.
It's borderline ludicrous, this reaction. God bless him but God help you people.

I'm sorry, it had to be said.

U2DMfan said:
Yeah, I think the reaction..especially over on that thread to Heath Ledger's passing has been hyperbolic and ridiculous, ultimately offensive to what he was. Seriously and respectfully.

He never would have asked for the comments, the papparazzi, to be compared to James Dean, Kurt Cobain, River Phoenix, on and on. It's an embarassing display. Most of it seems fine, shock, dismay, sadness. A few of you jumped the sanity shark.

All that said, Daniel Day Lewis gave a magnificent speech.
Wasn't too caught up in the self-importance of acting.
Ya know, acting, which kids call 'pretending' I think het gets it.
It's why I love him even more. Great actor, in all probability, a good man.

Anyhow, you can be a brilliant 'milk man', let's say and to overtly praise and bemoan the importance of your existence is actually, IMO, insulting. What's the point? Why would others do this?

Heath Ledger, I'd bet my house, never took himself as seriously as some of you have. Some of us lost someone whom we actually knew in the flesh in the last few months and weeks. I did.
It's borderline ludicrous, this reaction. God bless him but God help you people.

I'm sorry, it had to be said.

Still drunk?

I think it's time you took a break yourself. No need to tell people how to react and feel. God help us? Fuck off. I lost someone I loved dearly myself this year. I know how it feels. But what the flying fuck does that have to do with my reaction to the death of an artist I admired? Artists ARE different from milk men, in that they consciously choose to reach out to a huge audience of people with their own personal expression. It's their job to form connections to people they don't know.

Bah, whatever, no point me rambling on about this.

No spoken words said:

I can see why you thought that. I think. :)

Haha .....

and for the first time ever, I'll use the term.....

touche!!

I don't really know what it means.

Have you ever drank a boot-full of beer with some clamato poured in there?

Lancemc said:

Still drunk?

I think it's time you took a break yourself. No need to tell people how to react and feel. God help us? Fuck off. I lost someone I loved dearly myself this year. I know how it feels. But what the flying fuck does that have to do with my reaction to the death of an artist I admired? Artists ARE different from milk men, in that they consciously choose to reach out to a huge audience of people with their own personal expression. It's their job to form connections to people they don't know.

Bah, whatever, no point me rambling on about this.

I'll edit it.

I didn't tell you how to react and feel, I told you what I thought about it. I think it's absurd. There you go. Take it or leave it. If you loved someone so dearly and lost them and it was as deep to you as Ledger's passing is, then I think that says it all. All
inclusive.

I thought the reaction was absurd, that's just my opinion.

I didn't go to that thread to belittle people. I didn't go to that thread at all.
I don't want to disrespect people in this post.
I want to say, get some perspective.
That's all, this is the edited version.

Last edited:
lazarus said:
Daniel Day-Lewis' acceptance speech for his Best Actor award at the SAGs tonight was beautiful and heartbreaking, far from the cheap tribute it could have been. I was choked up. Again, the classiest act around, and I'd say after this the Oscar is LOCKED.:

"Thank you. I’m very, very proud of this. Thank you so much for giving it to me. And I’m very proud to be included in that group of wonderful actors this year.

You know, for as long as I can remember, the thing that gave me a sense of wonderment, of renewal, the thing that teased me with the question, how is such a thing possible, and then dare you to go back into the arena of one more time, with longing and self-doubt, jostling in the balance. It’s always been the work of other actors, and there are many actors in this room tonight, including my fellow nominees who have given that sense of regeneration and…

Heath Ledger gave it to me. [applause] In “Monster’s Ball,” that character that he created, it seemed to be almost like an unformed being, retreating from themselves, retreating from his father, from his life, even retreating from us, and yet we wanted to follow him, and yet we’re scared to follow him almost. It was unique. And then, of course, in “Brokeback Mountain,” he was unique, he was perfect. [applause] And that scene in the trailer at the end of the film is as moving as anything that I think I’ve ever seen. And I’d like to dedicate this to Heath Ledger. So, thank you very much. Thank you so much." [applause]

That was a fantastic speech. :up:

I almost went and saw There Will Be Blood over the weekend but another showing of U23D ranked higher. :nerd:

Next weekend for sure. :yes:

Patience is a virtue old chap.

You could always pass the time watching his other films that you haven't seen yet.

But that's easy for me to say seeing as it comes out here in like three weeks...

I started with In The Mood For Love and it absolutely captivated me, so I'd say start there.

Have a feeling laz and Lance would suggest otherwise though.

Yes. It's a bit depressing. Personally I'd go with Chungking Express, and then the companion piece (they were all supposed to be in one film originally) Fallen Angels.

Then I'd do In The Mood For Love and 2046.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:

PP31150~The-Godfather-Posters.jpg
godfather2_poster.jpg

LemonMacPhisto -- Death sentence for not watching the Godfather films.

I think Chunking is a good place to start as well. I've been planning on watching Fallen Angels some time this week. Maybe do that afterwards.

Then I saw go with the "Su Li Zhen trilogy" which is Days of Being Wild, In The Mood For Love, and 2046.
I still need to see Happy Together as well.

Lancemc said:
I think Chunking is a good place to start as well. I've been planning on watching Fallen Angels some time this week. Maybe do that afterwards.

Then I saw go with the "Su Li Zhen trilogy" which is Days of Being Wild, In The Mood For Love, and 2046.
I still need to see Happy Together as well.

Thanks, Lance.

Oh, okay.

I'm gonna try and finish the first one before I go to sleep tonight.

Later fellas.

Back
Top Bottom