Interference Random Movie Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:
Well, the way to rationalize the NYC exterior stuff is just to consider that what happens for most of the film is taking place in Bill's head. If you look at it as a dream or fantasy of New York City, then it's perhaps less distracting.

And yes, Solaris was hugely underappreciated. I think it was advertised as something completely different because it was a sci-fi film produced by James Cameron. And kudos to him for letting Soderbergh make the film he wanted to, even if it wasn't very commercial. They should have given it a slower art-house release and tried to build word of mouth.

There's a sad lack of intelligent science fiction film for adults, this is about as much as you could ask from the genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Idk6WtsAs&feature=related

AMAZING music.

Books and not film, but, Laz, have I ever asked you if you've read anything by Gene Wolfe? Since we're talking Sci-Fi for adults.

No spoken words said:

Buried alive......

khaaaaaaaaaaaauniz9.gif

I'm hooked on phonics right now, so maybe I'll give it a shot when I can understand basic grammar.

lazarus said:

And yes, Solaris was hugely underappreciated. I think it was advertised as something completely different because it was a sci-fi film produced by James Cameron. And kudos to him for letting Soderbergh make the film he wanted to, even if it wasn't very commercial. They should have given it a slower art-house release and tried to build word of mouth.

There's a sad lack of intelligent science fiction film for adults, this is about as much as you could ask from the genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Idk6WtsAs&feature=related

AMAZING music.

I fucking loved this movie.

Like a lot of people, everytime I see a flick, soon after I go to imdb or rottentomatoes and read the reviews. I remember that movie getting a Marcellus treatment. Unfair. Jeremy Davies was a creepy fuck in that movie, especially when he did his mom...oh wait.

The score is tremendous.

^^^ Viola Davis FTW. Man is she good. She also had a brief cameo as the crack addict mother in Antoine Fisher, and she KILLED.

NSW: No, I haven't read any Wolfe. Gene, Tom, Thomas, or Virginia. But I do own books of the latter 3 that I haven't read yet.

lazarus said:
^^^ Viola Davis FTW. Man is she good. She also had a brief cameo as the crack addict mother in Antoine Fisher, and she KILLED.

NSW: No, I haven't read any Wolfe. Gene, Tom, Thomas, or Virginia. But I do own books of the latter 3 that I haven't read yet.

Look into Gene Wolfe, Laz. I've read Tom and Thomas, too, but no Virginia.

lazarus said:

She was incredible in Antoine Fisher, even as brief as it was.

The more I think about Jeremy Davies, the more I think his new character on 'Lost' might be a fucking madman. I have no idea though, I don't read spoilers. He could be as harmless as Upham.
Fucking pussy Upham, sitting there with his thumb up his ass while the Hebrew Hammer was gettin impaled upstairs. Fuck you for that character, Spielberg.

I'm also still freaked out about 'Spanking The Monkey'.
Even after all these years.
What a skin crawling escapade.
Talk about something sneaking up on you, I was watching that on IFC about 10 years ago (whenever) and I was mortified.
Did anyone see it?

I never saw 'Million Dollar Hotel'.

Is that movie a steaming pile?

I know his narration on the soundtrack makes me want to throatpunch him.

Why is this douche talking about Jeremy Davies?

I dunno. Dopplegangers are freaky.

Speaking of 'Solaris', Cliff Martinez has done a bunch of other music for several other films, some I've seen, 'Traffic', 'Wonderland' and he also did 'Havoc' which I haven't seen. I don't remember anything particularly noteworthy about those compositions. He's also credited on 'Pump Up The Volume' and 'Sex, Lies and Videotape'. In any event, the 'Solaris' themes were ace.

Million Dollar Hotel was absolute rubbish. Think of every ramble Bono has ever done during an interview, except for 2 hours and featuring Mel Gibson.

Milla Jovovich is HOT.

You don't need another reason to see this.

Though Peter Stormare singing Beatles songs is pretty great too.

I liked this. It's an oddity. I think you're more prone to like it if you go in with careful expectations. I'm a long time Wim Wenders fan, so I knew a bit more what to expect. His films are usually pretty divisive.

It certainly ain't no Until the End of the World, though.

I want to find a version that keeps the boobs, but censors Chris Tucker.

That would be worth 20 bucks, probably more.

I rewatched gangs of new york last night for the first time in a few years.

Here's a few preliminary thoughts before I head out.

1. Bill the Butcher is easily in my top 3 favorite characters of all time.

2. I think that Leo Dicaprio is a fantastic actor. I've really come to respect him as an actor and I like to see his films. That being said, he looks like he's just horsing around next to DDL. It just goes to show how much better he is than everyone else out there.

3. Is DDL the greatest actor alive? Two, is he the greatest actor ever? I simply cannot remember an actor that makes me forget about his acting and concentrate on his character as much as DDL. Most of the time when I watch an actor work I think, "Oh he's doing a great acting job in this film." With DDL i'm not thinking, I'm riveted by his character.

4. I had this random thought last night during the film. Leo Dicaprio is Marlon Brando. I thought both are/were great actors, but they bring Leo or Marlon into every film that they do.

That's a very astute observation, Dalton. But I don't know if that makes Brando a lesser actor; I think it's actually more impressive what he does.

DDL totally disappears into his roles, and not only do you not hear any trace of the original man, but he's often physically unrecognizable as well. Brando, on the other hand, has the ability to play just as many types of characters, but instead of being consumed by the role, he absorbs it into his own persona, which is larger than any of them. So while you don't often forget you're watching "Brando", he is believable as another person every time, his accents always convincing (if not perfect) and he appears to do so with such natural ease. I mean, The Godfather is a wholly realized creation that couldn't be anyone else but Brando, yet at no point do you question the existence of the character in reality. It's iconic now, and people love to do their impersonations, but if you look at Brando in a film made the next year, Last Tango in Paris, it's night and day.

He certainly doesn't have to try as hard as Daniel Day-Lewis does. Brando has the ability to use the "method" without having to do the work--it's completely innate, and that's something we will doubtfully ever see again.

I originally had planned to watch the NHL All-Star Skills competition, but there's a Godfather marathon on A&E. :drool:....so that will get most of my attention tonight. Godfather 1 and 2 back-to-back, what can bet better than that?

The theme song gets me everytime. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom