Interference Random Movie Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:

If you want to....sure. I would be happy to...but I'll let you know if any complications arise

This one turned out pretty good.

picturebt0.jpg

I feel like kind of a jerk about suggesting everyone change their avatars and then not being able to do so myself because of my non-premium status.

It's nice to see all of the Heaths, though.

Anyway, this is somewhat tangentially related, but I was reading an interview with the Men of No Country For Old Men, and at the end Tommy Lee Jones was asked about his final monologue, and whether or not the world was beyond hope. Here's his response:

JONES: No, not all is lost. What I think is the book and the movie, in general, is a contemplation of morality. And the character of Ed Tom feels somewhat overwhelmed by a new character of evil and says so to his wiser and older uncle, and his uncle tells him that that's vanity, that evil doesn't change and that you, Ed Tom, do not live in the center of the universe. You can't be overwhelmed. It's the same old deal. Then he tells the story about these Indians who ride up to another uncle's house maybe a hundred years ago, kill him on his front porch. And when he recounts the story, if you look at it on the face of it, it seems like a recounting of a scene from a grade-B Western, but somehow you get the feeling that if you were there on that day, you would have seen real evil. And it would have impressed you; it would have been real. And I think that's important to this movie's outlook. No matter how overwhelmed you might feel, it's not about you. ... And like all considerations of Cormac, the questions are far more important than the answers. The question that arises there is that wonderful dream of riding ahead and reuniting with your father in the warm fire place in the cold, in the dark, hostile country. And if it is a dream, does the dream have any efficacy at all? If you wake up from a dream, what have you woken up from? Have you woken up from reality? So these get to be pretty sophisticated questions and I really appreciate the Coen brothers' careful reading of Cormac's moral thinking. Finally we're left with the really good questions, which are better than any simple answers. Did that make any sense?

Something to think about. Heavy stuff from the Rhodes Scholar.

You can change your avatar without being a premium.

And Agent K knows his shiz.

I shit my pants every time I see Javier Bardem.

Meaning, I wear a diaper every time I read one of your posts, NSFW.

Getting back to movies, I just found myself thinking about Eyes Wide Shut for the last 15 minutes or so.

It's amazing really, how this film hasn't fully left my mind since I first saw it 2 months ago. :ohmy:

It's one of those films that you can keep bringing new insight and experience to, and keep getting new things out of it.

Which is why in the future it may very well be remembered as the best film of the 90's, esp. after people have shedded the Tom & Nicole baggage. It's certainly one of them.

lazarus said:

Probably because you're a Douchebag McStupidfuck.

That's a good point, actually.

Laz, I saw you mention Solaris in another thread.

I think that I'm the only person I know that really liked that film. I remember seeing it either right before or after Punch Drunk Love, and wondering why the fuck people did not like these 2 films better.

lazarus said:

Probably because you're a Douchebag McStupidfuck.

That's a good point, actually.

Laz, I saw you mention Solaris in another thread.

I think that I'm the only person I know that really liked that film. I remember seeing it either right before or after Punch Drunk Love, and wondering why the fuck people did not like these 2 films better.

I really like Eyes Wide Shut, but I'll admit to something sort of lame. I find the street scenes distracting, sort of. I'm from NYC and it was obviously a re-creation of NYC and it sort of took something away from the film for me. That's insanely minor, I know, but it was a visceral reaction, not something I pondered. I'll agree, though, that I found it haunting in its own way and it was most definitely lodged in my head long after seeing it.

Well, the way to rationalize the NYC exterior stuff is just to consider that what happens for most of the film is taking place in Bill's head. If you look at it as a dream or fantasy of New York City, then it's perhaps less distracting.

And yes, Solaris was hugely underappreciated. I think it was advertised as something completely different because it was a sci-fi film produced by James Cameron. And kudos to him for letting Soderbergh make the film he wanted to, even if it wasn't very commercial. They should have given it a slower art-house release and tried to build word of mouth.

There's a sad lack of intelligent science fiction film for adults, this is about as much as you could ask from the genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Idk6WtsAs&feature=related

AMAZING music.

lazarus said:
Well, the way to rationalize the NYC exterior stuff is just to consider that what happens for most of the film is taking place in Bill's head. If you look at it as a dream or fantasy of New York City, then it's perhaps less distracting.

And yes, Solaris was hugely underappreciated. I think it was advertised as something completely different because it was a sci-fi film produced by James Cameron. And kudos to him for letting Soderbergh make the film he wanted to, even if it wasn't very commercial. They should have given it a slower art-house release and tried to build word of mouth.

There's a sad lack of intelligent science fiction film for adults, this is about as much as you could ask from the genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Idk6WtsAs&feature=related

AMAZING music.

How does it compare to the original?

Oh, and I started re-watching Magnolia on my own TV - it's sad to say that it's progress, but it really is. I fell asleep during the scene where John C. Reilly's talking to the little rapping black kid. I'll resume watching after dinner.

Back
Top Bottom