Interference Random Movie Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm about 40 pages in now, really great stuff. Beautiful evocative writing. I really have NO idea where the story is going, but it doesn't really matter, it's already a joy following the man and his son as they live day to day in a barren after-world.

I'm a bit distracted though, because my best friend here is treating me like a complete son-of-a-bitch asshole tonight, and I feel like either beating the shit out of someone or crying. /rant.

Just needed to get that out some way or another....sheesh.

Good book though. :)

I'm already picturing Viggo have these quiet conversations with the son. Perfect casting thus far, even though he doesn't really look anything like what I'm picturing the man as (despite having no physical description thus far).

I need to get my hands on some Cormac.

Was originally going to read No Country, but now I'm thinking Blood Meridian or The Road. Thing is, if I read the first one I'm going to wind up regretting it before Ridley Scott's going to fuck it up royally and ruin the experience. I have much more faith in Hillcoat, and wouldn't mind seeing his version first.

No spoken words said:
Lance, I cannot wait until you get to the end of that fucking book.

It's a remarkably fast read...I hope to get there by the end of the week. :drool:

I think I read it in 3 days. I finished it at the Toyota dealership while my car had its 15,000 mile check up. Most of his books prior to No Country are a lot denser, not easy to plow through, but The Road and No Country are quicker reads....I cannot verbalize how much I loved the Road.

Jonny Greenwood's score for There Will Be Blood has been disqualified from competing for an Oscar this year, I'm sad to say.

Apparently, there was more music from other artists included than original music.

Funny, as I noticed as the film went on that there wasn't as much music as there had been in the first half, and I also noted several pieces that did not sound like they were Greenwood's (I remember seeing Brahms mentioned in the credits).

Kind of sucks, as this was pretty brilliant work, but it's understandable why they can't consider it.

I'm about to go see No Country for the second time. Let's see if I like it even more.

Alright, I can't sleep and just read about Michael Keaton's film at Sundance. Crazy thing is I had "cast him" as a regular guy by day/hitman by night in Lance's Make-a-Movie thread.

That's fucking awesome.

lazarus said:
Thing is, if I read the first one I'm going to wind up regretting it before Ridley Scott's going to fuck it up royally and ruin the experience. I have much more faith in Hillcoat, and wouldn't mind seeing his version first.

anti-Ridley Scott or just generally pessimistic about what his treatment would be?

Funny thing, I'm not a mega-huge Ridley Scott fan (doesn't everyone love Alien and Blade Runner?) but after watching Hannibal for the first time in a good while just the other day, I thought maybe the strongest redeeming qualities of that flick was how beautifully shot it was. Maybe it was just location or Zimmer's awesome score.

Also, I was trying to 'will' that movie into being better than it was.
It's 'second act' is great (Italy), first-forgettable, second-disappointing. I thought the script itself was a turd.

I don't have any animosity towards Scott, I just think he's a bit overrated by genre film fans. He's very hit-or-miss to me. Look at American Gangster--on paper this should have been a classic with that story and those actors. But it would up just being a good-to-very good film, and didn't really do anything original or unique.

I would rather have a great novel in the hands of someone a bit more consistent, even if they don't have classics like Alien and Blade Runner under their belt. I haven't read the book so I'll refrain from making random suggestions, but I have a hard time believing Scott would be the best choice.

He's one of the few big name directors that would bring people to see it though.

I'm not saying that's a measure of quality, but you know how it is.

Can you just get him on my last day? You know, to make sure no screw-up happens.

Sean Penn should direct. It would make Lance happy.

Nothing but violence makes Lance happy.

Ok, has anyone in here ever seen "The Name of the Rose"? I'm currently reading it, but was curious if someone had seen it, and if so, if they enjoyed it? Sean Connery is in it, as well as a young Christian Slater. Now if that's not sasssssssssy, I don't know what is.

LemonMacPhisto said:
He's one of the few big name directors that would bring people to see it though.

I'm not saying that's a measure of quality, but you know how it is.

Well Scott's movie won't come out until long after No Country For Old Men possibly wins Best Picture, and The Road should come out earlier as well. I imagine those two films will feature heavily in promoting Blood Meridian.

"From the Academy Award-winning screenwriter of The Departed" ain't gonna look too shabby either.

lazarus said:

Well Scott's movie won't come out until long after No Country For Old Men possibly wins Best Picture, and The Road should come out earlier as well. I imagine those two films will feature heavily in promoting Blood Meridian.

"From the Academy Award-winning screenwriter of The Departed" ain't gonna look too shabby either.

I agree.

But the sad thing is, when most people I know hear Ridley Scott, they only think of Gladiator and American Gangster. I haven't seen Gangster and I like Gladiator, but they don't know what the hell "a Blade Runner is."

Anytime I see a preview "from Oscar nominee/winner X" or "Oscar nominee/winner Y," I cringe a bit.

any interest in 'Righteous Kill'?

Deniro and Pacino together again. Coming out April 2008.

My expectatations are actually quite low all things considered.

If they add Waingro to the cast, then my expectattions shoot through the roof. Head slam into the diner table. Maybe even a token Trejo sighting. Oh and Buffalo fucking Bill, he makes any movie 14 times better, just like his humps.

Back
Top Bottom