Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VIII: First Contact with Lance's Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
District 9 was a blast; the word 'visceral' comes to mind. It turns into a pretty standard action film towards the 3rd act, but before that it was scratching the surface of some stellar science fiction mixed with badass action. Plus it didn't seem like it was too sure if it was a mock-documentary or a straight narrative... kind of weaved in-and-out of it as the film progressed before it ditched it almost entirely later on.

And oh yeah, people blow the fuck up.

Hopefully I'll get around to seeing both that and Inglourious Bastards before I go back to school Saturday. Then when I'm in DC I have some catching up to do with Ponyo, Thirst, and 500 Days

Also turns out in fact that both Ponyo and 500 Days opened in my local theater as well this week. I'm tempted to indulge myself.

Pun intended?

I liked it a lot as well, certainly its own movie.

Hopefully will see the Basterds this weekend.

:)

I hope to see Basterds some time this weekend or next week. In the meantime, I'll just look in a mirror.

Also turns out in fact that both Ponyo and 500 Days opened in my local theater as well this week. I'm tempted to indulge myself.

Def see Ponyo. A must for the kids' voice acting alone, which (to my year-old memory) is at least as good as the Japanese language version. Possibly better, in the case of the mini-Miley.

Who's got two thumbs and will be watching The English Patient for the first time tonight? This guy.

I hope Peterman doesn't fire me if I don't like it.

Say what you will about Spielbergo*, that D-Day landing really is faaaaaaantastic.

220px-Spielbergo.jpg

I think I'll try to catch a matinee tomorry. Suggestions?

What do we think about this new Mike Judge comedy starring Michael Bluth, Mila Kunis and Ben Affleck in long hair and beard? Doesn't look half-bad.

Feel free to totally ignore this:

My gf was in town over the weekend, and we watched The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray. It's the first Blu-Ray film I've ever seen/owned, and it looked fantastic.

Then, I was up all night last night due to being under the weather, and at 4am or so I decided to flip around and see what was on TV. 10 Things I Hate About You was on, and, I sat there and watched it. Cut to this afternoon, flipping around again, and A Knight's Tale is on, which I also sat and watched. I'm not telling anyone that these were great movies, you need not pass judgement on the quality of the films, it's immaterial....

This is all coincidence, of course, I did not go out of my way to watch three Ledger films, good bad or otherwise, in a 48 hour span. But, the point I'm slowly trying to make is that.....even though tons of actors, musicians, athletes and authors have died during my lifetime, for whatever reason, I cannot shake the powerful sadness I feel when I think about Ledger's early demise. I honestly don't know why his death continues to impact me in this way, but it's undeniable.

It's just such a fucking shame, an untimely demise....and you can say that about myriad people, famous or just the person next door......but this one stays with me.
Anyway.

Same here, really. Celebrity deaths rarely affect me very much, probably because no one I truly adore outside of Phil Hartman have passed, and even then I was too young to really appreciate the gravity of the situation. But Ledger still smarts. A lot. Can't wait for Imaginarium, although I'm sure I'll find myself more upset seeing him in that than I did during TDN.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to reread his death thread. If memory serves, everything was pretty somber and respectful. It's just a shame that this was a case of real appreciation coming after tragedy. I mean I always liked the guy, but his death really put his talent in perspective. The best part was the focus on what a huge talent he was. It'd be easy to characterize him as a handsome teen idol sort of actor after 10 Things and Knight's Tale, but I'm so glad those aren't his legacy. As it stands, my lasting impression of him will be as Robbie in I'm Not There, what I consider his finest performance.

As far as TDN Blu Ray goes, it was my present for my dad last Christmas. Those IMAX sequences looked absolutely unreal.

And GAF, I'm cautiously optimistic about Extract. Definitely plan on seeing it though. I can't get enough JK Simmons, Mila, or Chareth Cutestory.

I love pirate lawyers.

Well said, Impy.

The first "celebrity" death to impact me was Thruman Munson's. I was eight, and baseball meant everything to me. I hadn't really dealt with death up until that point of my life, and it was very hard to come to terms with.

The next celebrity death to impact me was John Lennon's. Even at that age, I sure knew who he was, but it was more the reaction of those around me that impacted me. Also, he was killed right after my b-day, not that such a thing matters.

After that, like you, Hartman's death hit home. He is one of my 3-4 comedic heroes and I was shaken up when learned of his demise.

Outside of that, there are deaths in my lifetime that are holy fuck moments, like Len Bias' death (by the way, 16 year old me is in the Youtube clip of Bias getting drafted. I'm in the audience), or River Phoenix, Andy Kaufmann, Stevie Ray Vaughn or, for some, Cobain, etc. But, none of these really resonated with me, cannot really speak to why.

Yet, for whatever reason, Ledger's did and apparently it still bothers me.

Those are two movies (not going to name them so as to avoid quote mockery) that I usually don't change the channel if they're on TV either, NSW.

Derrick Thomas' death is one of the first celeb deaths I remember being really upset by, he was my favorite football player through jr. high and high school. I still think it's pretty sad.

Harry Kalas' death is the only one in recent memory that I had any issues with. At the time of Ledger's death, he was pretty unknown to me, so it's only later that I've grown to appreciate him.

My gf was in town over the weekend, and we watched The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray.

There's a YLB 3D-type joke in here somewhere. Any takers?

"Let's put a SMIIIIIIILE on that face!"

I also still feel a great sadness at the death of Heath Ledger. Maybe I need to switch back to my I'm Not There avatar. Because a Piss-On-Michael Jackson's-Grave avatar is still in some way advertising the pathetic cartoon that is MJ, and that's something I really don't want to do.

There's a YLB 3D-type joke in here somewhere. Any takers?

"Let's put a SMIIIIIIILE on that face!"

I also still feel a great sadness at the death of Heath Ledger. Maybe I need to switch back to my I'm Not There avatar. Because a Piss-On-Michael Jackson's-Grave avatar is still in some way advertising the pathetic cartoon that is MJ, and that's something I really don't want to do.

Do it. Follow your heart.

Back
Top Bottom