Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VII: You Inglourious Little Basterds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he dance?

/oddquestion

Not that I saw. It was more of a hipsters standing around party, though supposedly there was dancing inside somewhere.

I just bought this.

WIN.

Seeing Cuba Gooding Jr. in Shakey's and talking about Boyz in the Hood was fun, but little did I know at that point that everyone sees Cuba.

Wow, Cuba Gooding saying "Show me the money!" to you is like the irresistible force meeting the immovable object, or something.

Weirdest celebrity encounter? A tough call, but working in Los Angeles retail has provided a lot of material. Either:

1. Selling a used, $10 rainbow-striped windbreaker to Sir Ian McKellen, in town for Gay Pride, who took his credit card out of a pink velcro wallet (the kind you'd expect some little Japanese girl to have), while I had a copy of The Two Towers behind me, which I was reading before the film came out. My girlfriend (a LOTR junkie after seeing Fellowship) never forgave me for failing to get an autograph.

or

2. Receiving a call at my store for Diane Keaton (who had been shopping but just left) from an assistant that said her phone had been left at home, and having to go down Melrose to look in other stores for her. I was then like "Ms. Keaton, hi, I work at the store you were just in? Your assistant is on the phone for you." Walked back with her, and was looking forward to eventually saying something (as she's probably my #2 favorite actress, ever), but the call appeared to be regarding some kind of emergency/crisis and I didn't feel it would be a good time to chit-chat.

Those are both great!

You haven't lived until you've played Blackjack at 3am with Mark Messier and Mrs. Costanza, though.

Oh, and, look, you made a Jew/Cuba joke. Laz, I saw him at fucking Shakey's. I've been to Shakey's once.

Yeah, I've been once and it was enough for a lifetime.

Did he ask for one of your "mojos"?

Your Vegas references make me think of Bill Simmons. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I've been once and it was enough for a lifetime.

Did he ask for one of your "mojos"?

Your Vegas references make me think of Bill Simmons. Just sayin'.

We went during lunch one day. I had some pizza, that's about it. Then Cuba walked the fuck in. Those Mojos looked like shit to me. I think there's like a Mojo deluxe, too. No thanks.

Sadly, Simmons and I have a decent amount in common.

Have I ever asked you if you can be found at House of Pies or the Astro Diner?

I think maybe you did. I don't hang out in Los Feliz anymore, but I don't like pie so even when I was living around the corner I never went in.

Are you referring to Astro Burger on Santa Monica and Gardener? I think we ordered from there at work once, but that's about it. I'm rarely in West Hollywood anymore. Hell, I'm rarely west of the 101. Spend most of my time in Echo Park, Downtown, and Silver Lake.

Oh, okay, I know that place. I drive by there several times a week.

But I've never been in.

And I know House of Pies had food, just never had the urge to go in.

My favorite eateries:

Mako, the little Japanese place underneath the marquee of the Los Feliz theatre, where you can get Chicken Yakisoba + salad for $3.75

Portos, the Cuban bakery and restaurant in Glendale & Burbank, I usually get a Cuban or Medianoche sandwich, and a bunch of their little food pastry things like Potato Balls, Meat Pies, or Ham Croquettes

Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock, in my opinion the best pizza in Los Angeles, that traditional New York Italian pizzeria kind, that that bullshit Chicago style or California style with all kinds of crazy ingredients

Wurstküche is a place that recently opened downtown so you wouldn't remember it, but they serve all kinds of different sausages, from standard brats and kielbasa to shit like alligator, rattlesnake and other interesting meat varieties, as well as vegetarian selections. They also serve Belgian fries with a choice of like 10 dipping sauces, my favorite being the blue cheese walnut and bacon. Then they have like 25 Belgian and German beers on tap. It's amazing.

I've been to Casa Bianca. I had a very close friend in Silver Lake, was at her place 2-3x a month, and we would take a drive out there now and again. Great pizza, top 3 in LA for sure. I always liked Dagwoods on Wilshire too.

Wurstküche sounds interesting, doubly so cos it's downtown. I can count the # of meals I ate downtown on one hand, not counting when inside Staples.

My absolute favorite restaurant in LA is a small little Chinese place in Santa Monica. It's in a mini-mall, and I tried it my first week in LA cos it was close to where I was living at the time. It's called Dragon Palace, not that you're ever in that area, but still. Most people would probably say it's average, but the dishes I happen to love, they knock out of the park.

Quite. Fairly inexpensive as well, at least as far as bus shelter size posters go.

Also makes me wonder why the French trailers for Miyazaki films in particular are always so much more awesome than those of every other country.

The one for Nausicaa is surprisingly spoilerish, so just be warned for whoever hasn't seen that film yet.

YouTube - Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä French Trailer

YouTube - Princesse Mononoke Trailer French

YouTube - Chihiro Spirited Away

YouTube - Ponyo sur la falaise - bande annonce 1 (français)

Spirited Away was absolutely gorgeous. I don't know if that's a good starting point, but I certainly enjoyed it.

I do plan on responding to you NSW, but I'm saving it for the new thread so it can actually become a discussion should it need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom