Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VI: Return of Lance's Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I got to talk briefly with Benicio tonight. After the Q&A I basically just thanked him for answering my question and congratulated him on the film. I took a number of pictures of him throughout the night, but I haven't uploaded yet so I'm not sure how good or bad they are. If they're worth posting, I'll share them here. I didn't ask for a picture with him unfortunately, because he was getting mobbed by people for a good 20 minutes, and by the time he got near me he was clearly tired and annoyed and just wanted to get in his car to go home. He was still very gracious the whole time though, and took more than the fair chunk of time to sign autographs and stuff for people.

But, I did get to ask a question earlier, which wasn't a particularly great question admitedly, but it still garnered the best answer all night. I asked something like "I know the film was in production for nearly 8 nears, and that Terrence Malick was working on the script and attached to direct for a while, so what do you think might have been different had the film been done in any prior period of production or do you think this was the right time for the film to be made?"

At first he said, "Well you know they old saying 'If my aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle.' "Then he went on to talk about Malick's particular contributions to the film, and having gotten to actually work with Malick for a pretty long period of time during the pre-production of the film learning a great deal in the process. Another fun bit of trivia too: apparently the two of them went to school together. Cool shit.

That's fantastic, but you still should've asked him about Battlestar Galactica.

I nearly asked about a possible future collaboration with Chris Carter as well. Though I feared for the safety of Interference upon his answer.

I'm glad to hear reports that it's exciting, but I want it to have some weight to it that makes sure it's still Star Trek and not some soulless sci-fi actioner, you know? The Leonard Nimoy scenes will probably quell that thought, I hope.

Read an interview with Orci and Kurtzman the other day that pretty much solidified my faith in the integrity of this film. They went super-hardcore into the science behind the story and how everything fits within the Trek canon and what not. More than anything though it just demonstrated how hardcore they are into the Trek mythos and they clearly have a deep appreciation for it. I'm not particularly worried.

That's re-assuring. There's an overview of a prequel tie-in comic on AICN that sounds cool as shit, if you haven't seen it already.

Yeah I saw that. I'll probably check out those comics some time before the film releases.

I'd love to as well. Anything that makes sense out of Post-Nemesis/Voyager Trek is good by me.

I never really followed any of the TV series outside of TOS, but anything that can at least attempt to redeem Nemesis certainly deserves a chance.

I watched some Next Generation here and there back in the day, and occasionally in syndication, but never followed it week-by-week. I'll still take TOS any day though.

How much have you seen? I mean, if you haven't watched some of the episodes that are considered to be the best of the series, it seems strange to pass a judgment like that.

How much have you seen? I mean, if you haven't watched some of the episodes that are considered to be the best of the series, it seems strange to pass a judgment like that.

I'm not passing judgement, I'm just saying from what I've seen, which is considerably more than a couple episodes, I'm not particularly drawn to TNG. I never found any of the characters especially interesting anyway.

Hey all, I have a question.

How much Holocaust stuff is in The Reader? Are we talking camp scenes? Striped pajamas and shit? Because I'd like to see it, but I cannot do concentration camp stuff. I just can't.

No. Just descriptions during a trial.

However, you might have trouble with all the sex and full-frontal male nudity.

TNG > TOS

Fact

Definitely... the best episodes of TNG are the best of the entire run of Trek, no matter how much I love Kirk fighting the Gorn in TOS.

I'm not passing judgement, I'm just saying from what I've seen, which is considerably more than a couple episodes, I'm not particularly drawn to TNG. I never found any of the characters especially interesting anyway.

Picard, Data, and Worf are the stand-outs for me in terms of fucking awesome characters, but Riker's shenanigans crack me the hell up.

Most of the great TNG stuff is focused in Seasons 3-5, with a smattering of awesome stuff in Season 1 ("Conspiracy," arguably the most graphic Trek episode ever) and some towards the end, even if the Worf/Troi/Riker shit was a little bothersome.

Definitely... the best episodes of TNG are the best of the entire run of Trek, no matter how much I love Kirk fighting the Gorn in TOS.

Picard, Data, and Worf are the stand-outs for me in terms of fucking awesome characters, but Riker's shenanigans crack me the hell up.

Most of the great TNG stuff is focused in Seasons 3-5, with a smattering of awesome stuff in Season 1 ("Conspiracy," arguably the most graphic Trek episode ever) and some towards the end, even if the Worf/Troi/Riker shit was a little bothersome.

What he said. Riker cracks me up too, plus I think Frakes is a dead ringer for young Orson Welles. I love him in Frame of Mind. AMAZING.

What he said. Riker cracks me up too, plus I think Frakes is a dead ringer for young Orson Welles. I love him in Frame of Mind. AMAZING.

That's a fantastic episode, especially when Riker goes right up to the camera and smashes it like glass. Fucking amazing.

Gotta love the Riker ep where he goes at it with an androgynous chick. He's like Shat, but with a beard and less charisma.

Another great episode: "The Game"

Pros: Ashley Judd
Cons: It's a fucking Wesley episode.

darmok.jpg

darmok08.jpg

Some time I'll try to go throw some Next Gen stuff and pull out some of the better episodes then. And I do admit I dig me some Jean-Luc.

Still though, in the case of TOS, I feel the whole is clearly greater than the sum of its parts. I really haven't seen anything on television that matches its unique personality, cultural perspective (implicit and explicit), or thematic foresight. Nor have I watched anything so addictively charming. Same goes for the TOS-era films. I suppose it just hits all the right notes for me, all the more reason I'm particularly nerding-out for the new film this Summer. And seriously, Kirk and Spock are among my absolute favorite characters in fiction, Bones not too far behind.

But regardless, I don't want to diss on TNG. Trek is Trek, so you'd suggest seasons 3-5 as the best?

Some time I'll try to go throw some Next Gen stuff and pull out some of the better episodes then. And I do admit I dig me some Jean-Luc.

Still though, in the case of TOS, I feel the whole is clearly greater than the sum of its parts. I really haven't seen anything on television that matches its unique personality, cultural perspective (implicit and explicit), or thematic foresight. Nor have I watched anything so addictively charming. Same goes for the TOS-era films. I suppose it just hits all the right notes for me, all the more reason I'm particularly nerding-out for the new film this Summer. And seriously, Kirk and Spock are among my absolute favorite characters in fiction, Bones not too far behind.

But regardless, I don't want to diss on TNG. Trek is Trek, so you'd suggest seasons 3-5 as the best?

Even 6 is not too bad, but it definitely hits its stride once Season 3 starts.

I should add that I do love TOS as well, just prefer TNG. Kirk FTW.

Very much looking forward to the film.

Back
Top Bottom