Interference Random Movie Talk & Robin: The Thrilling Fourth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Royal Tenenbaums is probably next.

Tenenbaums is Anderson's best, easily. I don't give a shit what anyone says about fuckin Rushmore.

Paltrow? Check.

Hackman? Check.

Suicide? Mordecai? Tennis? Incest? Baldwin narration? Cigarettes? Mice? Boardgames? Stiller afro? etc.? Check.

"All right, all right I'll ask her. Miss, miss! Do you know where the high school girls hang out around here?"

"We all have stories."

"I'm gonna make Gretzky's head bleed for super fan 99 over here."

There are so many lines to quote from that movie, I could fill 2 pages (Die Hard style). Swingers is a major classic. For some strange reason, the big underground following and love it had when it came out hasn't sustained over time. You think the film that essentially made both Favreau and Vince Vaughns careers would at least still have some following. It's the kind of flick I think every guy I know who's actually seen it absolutely loves, unfortunately most people haven't seen it.

I agree....don't know too many guys that have seen it that dislike it.

I also semi-relate to it, as I moved from NYC to LA about the same time this film was released. I was not a comedian or actor, nor was I hanging out at the clubs these guys were at, etc, but I did experience some of the other things Mike went through......

"How about if I wait six weeks to call. I could tell her I found her number while I was cleaning out my wallet, I can't remember where we met. I'll ask her what she looks like and then I'll ask her if we fucked. How about that? Would that be money?"

"Haven't you seen Boyz N The Hood? Now one of us is going to get shot."

"Not so much from my reading, he had his own things going on"

Whether or not you believe it and whether or not it's cool I don't care...

My friends and I quote Swingers all the time.

And yes, we quoted it A LOT on our recent excursion to Vegas.

"My boy is all growns up!"

FilmFour here in the UK are having a week long Ingmar Bergman season to commenerate the anniversary of his passing. They're showing:

The Seventh Seal
Summer With Monika
Wild Strawberries
Summer Interlude
Smiles of a Summer Night
Persona
The Virgin Spring
Scenes From a Marriage

Of those I've only seen Seventh Seal, Strawberries and Persona before. Go FilmFour.

Isn't there a month-long Kubrick marathon on one of the BBC channels, too? Or did that already pass?

Waiting for Guffman has been accumulating cat hair for the last 2 weeks it has been in my room and now I finally intend to watch it, I'm hoping it's good. I've had about 4 diet cokes so i'm hoping i can stay still long enough.

did anyone watch Cassandra's Dream recently?
I rented it and enjoyed it much more than I ever expected, perhaps the biggest mindfuck was that Colin Farrell did a great job acting and his douchebag-iness was nowhere to be seen int he film. Seriously, when is Woody Allen gonna lose his cinematic genius and prolific ability to write engaging, thought provoking films? I hope the answer is never.

Waiting for Guffman has been accumulating cat hair for the last 2 weeks it has been in my room and now I finally intend to watch it, I'm hoping it's good. I've had about 4 diet cokes so i'm hoping i can stay still long enough.

"I hate you and I hate your ASS FACE!"

(that's a quote, by the way, and not an insult. ;) )

Isn't there a month-long Kubrick marathon on one of the BBC channels, too? Or did that already pass?

It was a week and a half job earlier this month. I think they showed Barry Lyndon, 2001, Lolita, Paths of Glory and I forget what the rest were. Didn't catch any though, I'd seen them all before and had enough on my celluloid plate.

Like Eyes Wide Shut which I finally saw for the first time last night. Very abstract and dreamlike I thought and similar to 2001 in that a lot of what happened is up to viewer interpretation with Kubrick offering little in the way of answers. Far from my favourite though:

The Shining
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Paths of Glory
Barry Lyndon
Full Metal Jacket
The Killing
Lolita
Eyes Wide Shut
Spartacus

These are due to change after I rewatch any of them again. 2001 is purposely in the middle because I still find it hard to truly enjoy the film but admire it greatly. Spartacus is the only one I'm not bothered about watching again, as apart from that one there aren't any films in that list I find weak or unenjoyable to some extent.

did anyone watch Cassandra's Dream recently?
I rented it and enjoyed it much more than I ever expected, perhaps the biggest mindfuck was that Colin Farrell did a great job acting and his douchebag-iness was nowhere to be seen int he film. Seriously, when is Woody Allen gonna lose his cinematic genius and prolific ability to write engaging, thought provoking films? I hope the answer is never.

I've been meaning to watch that one, I just watched Scoop last night. It was pretty light and fun stuff, but it was kind of sad going from '70s Woody to present day and seeing him as an old man. The guy's still brilliant and a credit to his race. I mean that sincerely from the bottom of my heart.

"I hate you and I hate your ASS FACE!"

(that's a quote, by the way, and not an insult. ;) )

"Because you're BASTARD PEOPLE!"

I love that movie... the play within a play kills me every time.

It was a week and a half job earlier this month. I think they showed Barry Lyndon, 2001, Lolita, Paths of Glory and I forget what the rest were. Didn't catch any though, I'd seen them all before and had enough on my celluloid plate.

Like Eyes Wide Shut which I finally saw for the first time last night. Very abstract and dreamlike I thought and similar to 2001 in that a lot of what happened is up to viewer interpretation with Kubrick offering little in the way of answers. Far from my favourite though:

The Shining
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Paths of Glory
Barry Lyndon
Full Metal Jacket
The Killing
Lolita
Eyes Wide Shut
Spartacus

These are due to change after I rewatch any of them again. 2001 is purposely in the middle because I still find it hard to truly enjoy the film but admire it greatly. Spartacus is the only one I'm not bothered about watching again, as apart from that one there aren't any films in that list I find weak or unenjoyable to some extent.

I understand. 2001 may be his greatest achievement, but it's last on the list of favorites for me. Apart from that, I've only seen Clockwork, Strangelove, and The Shining, but will move to The Killing, Lolita, and Full Metal Jacket next, then work on the rest.

Nothing comes close to Eyes Wide Shut for me. One of the most artfully crafted films I've ever seen.

Absolutely not. It's just a pretty shocking change of pace and tone. It's also remarkably beautiful photographically.

Alright. I expect the photography in a Kubrick film... it's the one thing attracting me to Barry Lyndon.

that's about it imo, Lyndon is incredible to look at but very little going on...

I enjoyed the study of a man's rise from low beginnings to reasonable heights, only to fall again. I find it even more interesting when you see how he'll do anything to gain improved status....he's a true opportunist. I also like how it studies/skewers the suffocating social circles he enters into....

I also love the duel at the end.

I enjoyed the study of a man's rise from low beginnings to reasonable heights, only to fall again. I find it even more interesting when you see how he'll do anything to gain improved status....he's a true opportunist. I also like how it studies/skewers the suffocating social circles he enters into....

I also love the duel at the end.

I agree that the story was good in general, maybe it was the pacing in this case that bored me...

I agree that the story was good in general, maybe it was the pacing in this case that bored me...

I think that we can all agree that the pace is incredibly slow, but, that's obviously done on purpose, and with a purpose. It did not at all bother me, but, yes, it moves slowly. So amazing to look at, though.

Full Metal Jacket is 1/3 of a great film. The Vietnam stuff adds virtually NOTHING to what's already said about war, or that specific war, in cinema before. It's not bad, it's just redundant.

Lolita is crap, I don't care what you want to forgive for the restrictive time period it was done in. Sellers unfortunately is allowed to turn his role into a Robin Williams-in-Aladdin showcase that has nothing to do with the story. It's entertaining but embarrassing. Nabokov may have adapted his own novel, but I blame Kubrick for the end result, turning a beautiful and tragic story with moments of wicked humor into too much of a black comedy.

And I respect Barry Lyndon for what it is, but I'm certainly not eager to see it again any time soon.

I've heard people completely trash Lolita and others champion it, so I'd like to see it for myself for that reason alone. So having read the novel before diminished your opinion? How did you feel about The Shining then, since it differs so much from the source material?

I don't read Stephen King. I have The Stand and It but haven't gotten around to them yet.

I could give a shit how faithful Kubrick is to him, but Nabokov? Different story. And my problem is more with the tone than any alterations, additions, etc. To me the 1997 film may have been a bit too serious, but it captured the beauty of the book much more to me. And Jeremy Irons was a perfect Humbert.

As a King reader, it's worth putting out there that I'm an immeasurably huge fan of both the novel and film adaptation of The Shining. The novel is a haunting Ghost story that really gets under your skin, while Kubrick's is a sort of reimagining of the basic story that turns it into more of a psychological thriller that blurs the line between reality and the characters' mental meanderings.

Yeah. Different. But I love them both about equally.

I don't read Stephen King. I have The Stand and It but haven't gotten around to them yet.

I could give a shit how faithful Kubrick is to him, but Nabokov? Different story. And my problem is more with the tone than any alterations, additions, etc. To me the 1997 film may have been a bit too serious, but it captured the beauty of the book much more to me. And Jeremy Irons was a perfect Humbert.

That's a big thing for me as well. I don't mind if the director takes artistic license in an adaptation, as long as he captures the spirit of the work because that's what made me love it so much in the first place. I know a lot of people who are more anal about adaptations though, which I can understand, but don't particularly agree with... it's something we'll see pop up when Watchmen comes out, for sure.

As a King reader, it's worth putting out there that I'm an immeasurably huge fan of both the novel and film adaptation of The Shining. The novel is a haunting Ghost story that really gets under your skin, while Kubrick's is a sort of reimagining of the basic story that turns it into more of a psychological thriller that blurs the line between reality and the characters' mental meanderings.

Yeah. Different. But I love them both about equally.

Words of wisdom, Lance. Words. Of. Wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom