Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This new David Fincher project looks interesting:

Rendezvous with Rama

Plot Outline: A team of astronauts is sent on a mission to explore a giant interstellar spaceship hurtling toward the sun. Based on the novel by Arthur C. Clarke.

Clarke already did this with 2001/2010, etc but it could be something pretty sweet given Fincher's visual style... I always thought Aliens 3 had a great look, too bad the story sucked...

So far Morgan Freeman is the only cast member confirmed which right there is worth the price of admission IMO :drool:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134933/

I'm still bitter about Fincher leaving the adaptation of The Black Dahlia, one of my favorite books. They wouldn't let him do as thorough a film as he wanted to, so he wound up doing that instead with the Zodiac material. Meanwhile, Brian DePalma takes over Dahlia and makes one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Nice one.

Throw some Keanu in there, he can play the huge phallic spaceship going for the sun.

"I know kung fu"

David Fincher Presents: "Bill and Ted's Excellent Rendevous with Rama"

Featuring Alex Winter, George Carlin, and Willem Dafoe. Because it's not a movie without Willem Dafoe.

Anyone see Stardust?

I can't figure out if I'm going to like it. It looks a bit "Willow". When fantasy doesn't work it REALLY doesn't work.

I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman's old comic writing but this seems a long way away.

Worth a $5 matinee? There doesn't seem to be anything else around to see right now.

I don't know, I've heard comparisons to The Princess Bride, which are pretty bold.

Maybe dollar theater/rental.

I just watched all three Indiana Jones films for the first time in ten years. I was 13 then, I'm 22 now. They're better now than they were then.

Some of the greatest action sequences in film history truly came from these films...

The boulder run and the car scene from Raiders...

The trap door room and the mine cart race and the bridge destruction from Temple...

The tank sequence from Crusade...

As an aside, I have to say that Kate Capshaw's 'Willie Scott' from Temple Of Doom is my least favorite 'Indy' girl. She just screamed and shreaked and demanded to be rescued the whole time. It really started grating on my nerves after a while. Karen Allen's 'Marion Ravenwood' from Raiders Of The Lost Ark was almost the polar opposite - intelligent, tough, didn't mind fighting for herself, and didn't scream for Indy to rescue her every time she got in trouble. Super sexy. Easily my favorite 'Indy' girl. And it appears that she's going to be in the new one :drool: :drool: :drool:

Finally, I declare 'I should have sent it to the Marx brothers!' one of THE great one-liners in film history. On paper, it isn't THAT funny, but in the context of the film and the scene it's in, and the perfection of Connery and Ford's delivery during that exchange, it was brilliantly hilarious.

I have really high hopes for Indy IV. If it's at least on par with Last Crusade, I'll be happy.

Temple of Doom is a pile of shit. I can't even watch it anymore. A lot of it has to do with Capshaw. I can't imagine Indy 4 being any worse that that, so no worries there.

She makes that movie close to unwatchable, but the last 30 minutes are pure gold.

Plus, you gotta love Short Round / The Goonies Kid.

"INDYYY, COVAH YA HAHT! COVAH YA HAHT, INDY!"

Nah, he gets old quick too. Temple of Doom truly is the bastard child of the Indy franchise. It has its moments, but they're few and far between. The only really awesome character in that one other than Indy is the crazy Kali-Ma dude.

Does he even have a name until Indy says it on the bridge?

I love the screaming face on his helmet that looks like Whoopi Goldberg.

Ironically, Temple of Doom might've been the Indy movie with the most Lucas influence, I remember reading that somewhere but don't take my word for it.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Ironically, Temple of Doom might've been the Indy movie with the most Lucas influence, I remember reading that somewhere but don't take my word for it.

Not surprising of true...loaded with stupid plot points and setpieces that could only come from Lucas' sorry skull.

But it does have the mine cart race....that makes up for a lot of the crap.

And I also loved the scene in the trap door room....Indy can't believe how stupid Willie is being, and the way he says 'We. are going. to DIE!' through the hole in the wall is hilarious. And then she finally finds the switch and stops the ceiling from falling, only to back right up into the first switch in a fit of screaming, starting the ceiling falling again. Indy, as usual, gets everyone out by the skin of their teeth, grabbing his hat just as the door slams shut.

It was like something out of a Marx brothers skit.

Deciding between Temple Of Doom and Last Crusade for me is difficult...Last Crusade is a better story with better supporting characters, but Temple Of Doom seems to have more/better action sequences.

namkcuR said:
But it does have the mine cart race....that makes up for a lot of the crap.

And I also loved the scene in the trap door room....Indy can't believe how stupid Willie is being, and the way he says 'We. are going. to DIE!' through the hole in the wall is hilarious. And then she finally finds the switch and stops the ceiling from falling, only to back right up into the first switch in a fit of screaming, starting the ceiling falling again. Indy, as usual, gets everyone out by the skin of their teeth, grabbing his hat just as the door slams shut.

It was like something out of a Marx brothers skit.

Deciding between Temple Of Doom and Last Crusade for me is difficult...Last Crusade is a better story with better supporting characters, but Temple Of Doom seems to have more/better action sequences.

Temple of Doom reminds me way too much of Return of the Jedi in the way it fails to balance amazing set piece (also in Jedi's case the epic Luke/Vader/Palpy story) with ridiculous slapstick (Willie and the Ewoks both need to burn in Cinematic Hell.) That being said, there's too many things done right in both films for them to be failures.

Speaking of Spielberg, saw Empire of the Sun in English class the other day... damn. Made me re-watch some of his others and do a new set of rankings:

1. Schindler’s List
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Jaws
4. Jurassic Park
5. Empire of the Sun
6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
7. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
8. A.I.: Artificial Intelligence
9. Munich
10. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
11. Minority Report
12. Catch Me If You Can
13. Saving Private Ryan
14. The Terminal
15. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
16. Hook
17. War of the Worlds

still need to see Always, The Sugarland Express, The Color Purple, Amistad, and Duel for it to be a complete list. Fuck 1941.

I'm not entirely sure I'd put Schindler's List at the #1 spot, and well...actually my list would look a lot different from yours, but at least you put the wretched War of the Worlds at the bottom position. :up:

Schindler's, Jaws, and Raiders are basically interchangeable and I'm sure after I re-watch E.T. and Close Encounters they'll be higher. War of the Worlds is the only movie on the list I genuinely dislike.

Saving Private Ryan goes down on the list every time I see it, there's just something missing after the opening sequence. I never fully buy into the characters other than Tom Hanks' Capt. Miller.

I also forgot about The Lost World, pretend it's before War of the Worlds.

Last edited:
Let's see here:

1. Jaws (not a single misstep in this entire picture, it's pure Spielberg doing what he does best)
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark (see above, just make it not quite as amazing)
3. Saving Private Ryan
4. Schindler's List (would be #1 if not for the last 20 minutes)
5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
6. Poltergeist (would probably be #2 if he has really directed it)
7. Munich
8. A.I.
9. Jurassic Park
10. Minority Report
11. The Last Crusade
12. E.T.
13. Catch Me If You Can
14. Hook
15. The Temple of Doom
16. Duel
17. War of the Worlds

Should a Top 5 spot be cleared for Interstellar? I'm leaning towards a 'yes.'

The top 5 is a top bunch to crack.

I'm praying to God it will though.

And the new camera system the Wachowskis are using on Speed Racer nearly has my member at full salute.

Everything about that movie screams awesome to me:

the cast, the Wachowskis, and it's fucking Speed Racer!

The world needs a Johnny Quest movie and everything will be alright.

Christ, Lance, Saving Private Ryan at #3? If you can see through the worst moments of Schindler's I would think you'd be equally tough with Ryan, which is flat out RUINED by the bookends. The lack of three-dimensional characters other than Hanks (what Lemon said) and a weak screenplay doesn't help either. It seems to me that people are so blinded by the technical achievements in the Omaha Beach sequence that they can't objectively watch the rest of it. It's like having sex with someone who's loud and acrobatic for 10 minutes and then lays there for the next 30. Would you say they're good in bed?

I can't participate in this listmaking because I have so many problems with many of the films I even partially enjoy. The only three I can say I admire unequivocally are Jaws, Close Encounters, and Raiders, in that order. I think A.I. contains his best work, and wish it and Minority Report didn't end so horribly because so much of them were good. Catch Me If You Can and Always were nice, old-fashioned modest affairs and therefore unmarred by Steve-O's usual tendencies. After that I can't even begin to rank these half-baked productions, like the entertaining but awful adaptation of Jurassic Park, the well-intentioned but uneven Color Purple, the emotional blackmailing of Schindler's List & Saving Private Ryan, etc. I hated E.T. even as a kid, and if you actually thought The Lost World, Hook or War of the Worlds were actually good films I feel very, very sorry for you.

lazarus, have you seen Empire of the Sun or Munich?

Last edited:
The bookends of SPR might not have been entirely necessary, but they also don't cause the movie to break down to a complete cheese-fest (ala Schindler's final rant) or utterly break the illusion of the film like the colour sequence at the end of Shindler's. THe SPR bookends were just short little bits that gave the audience a glimpse of whether of not Ryan actually did "earn it". And while that might not be a good choice (I don't really care either way to be honest), it doesn't break the film in any way like the end of SL does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom