Interference Random Movie Talk - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2007, 04:19 AM   #886
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:24 AM
Random Movie Talk on p.3?!

PREPOSTEROUS!

Anyway, for anyone who cares, Samuel Fuller's masterpiece Park Row is showing on Turner Classic Movies on January 22nd, if I'm not mistaken. This is not available on DVD, VHS, laserdisc, etc.

You do not want to miss this brilliant look at the early days of the newspaper business. One of Fuller's best.

Here's a little review capsule to whet your appetite:

http://onfilm.chicagoreader.com/movi...17232_PARK_ROW

I'll be expecting reviews from those who have cable and manage to check it out.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #887
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #888
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by hardyharhar
Wondering if anyone has seen Beowolf in 3D. I love 3D but am generally disappointed by the end result when it has been used. Has the technology really improved like I keep hearing, or is it still occasional thrills while getting a headache wearing those stupid glasses.

Thought I'd ask, cuz this one sounds interesting. And I'd like to catch it before the 3D version disappears, if it's worth it.

Thanks

My roommates saw it and said the 3D was cool and the movie was awful.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #889
Blue Crack Addict

Listening to the Youth Without Youth soundtrack now.

It's quite beautiful, and can be found here

http://www.sonyclassics.com/youthwithoutyouth/main.html

under the Soundtrack tab.

You can also find the trailers there, along with lengthly reports and synopsis' of the film and its production. I've been watching the latest trailer for this film pretty frequently during the past couple days. Definitely one of the best trailers of the year.

Early word has been pretty sour overall, but I think this could be one I'll end up liking anyway. I'm hardly the norm anyway when it comes to critical/audience consensus (like everyone slobbering over Into the Wild while I found it to be pretty lousy). The mentioned positive aspects of the film sounds truly wonderful, while the negative remarks seem like things I either wouldn't be concerned with in the first place or would be easy to ignore/forgive in leu of the film's ambitions and approach to the material.

Great film or not I think it's going to be hard to ignore Coppola's ambition and artistic integrity here. He hasn't made a film this way in his life, and really hasn't made a true art film since Apocalypse Now I believe. Great film or not, I'll be there opening night if I can. I'm really anxious to see this one more each day.

Really do try to check out the second theatrical trailer though, it's fantastic.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #890
Blue Crack Supplier

Finally had a Saturday off and so I saw No Country For Old Men. The Coen's did the book justice. Soooo many movies I missed lately....Lust, Caution.....3:10 to Yuma, Eastern Promises, Assasination of Jesse James....and more, so, glad I at least got to see this.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #891
Blue Crack Addict

No Country is probably my favorite of the year right now.

Lust, Caution, Eastern Promises, Jesse James...all 9/10's for me.

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead is my current #2 though. I just can't get enough of Philip Seymour Hoffman these days.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #892
Blue Crack Supplier

I left that out, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.....that's on my list, too.....I hate when I fall too far behind with films.....No Country, I want to see it again, soon......I have one or two scenes I'd like to see again.......
Old 12-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #893
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:24 PM
No Country and Darjeeling are my faves so far this year. I haven't seen many other "arthouse" films (Lust, Caution, Jesse James..., Eastern Promises to name a few), but some others have been extremely enjoyable:

Sunshine
Superbad
Hot Fuzz
Grindhouse
3:10 to Yuma
Knocked Up
even Die Hard and Transformers were worth the watch on the big screen.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #894
Blue Crack Addict

I actually just read another review of Jesse James, from Incontention.com that stated:

Quote:
At the risk of sensationalism, I would call “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” the most accomplished work of moving imagery committed to film in nearly a decade. It is a staggering piece of true cinematic art.
I definitely think that's a bit too hyperbolic, but it did remind me how astonishingly good it was. I think I need to reconsider my "low" rating of 9/10 I gave that film, though I won't do such a thing until I see it for a third time.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:52 AM   #895
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I actually just read another review of Jesse James, from Incontention.com that stated:

I definitely think that's a bit too hyperbolic, but it did remind me how astonishingly good it was. I think I need to reconsider my "low" rating of 9/10 I gave that film, though I won't do such a thing until I see it for a third time.
I've been reading Kris Tapley's In Contention blog for a while now, and he's often hyperbolic in his raves and dismissals (he gave No Country like 2.5 stars). But I do enjoy his takes, and I love that he loves Jesse, which I need to see again before making a final ranking for the year.

Also, Lance, I disagree that Apocalypse was FFC's last art film. What the hell is One From the Heart? And despite the awful acting by Keanu and Winona, Dracula is very much an art film, and a pretty amazing piece of visualization. So many of those shots are just perfectly composed and lit. I'd also add Rumble Fish to that list.

I do agree that this is Coppola's most ambitious film in 30 years, and I imagine I'll be with you in that minority of its admirers at year's end.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:04 AM   #896
Blue Crack Addict

You know, I realized as soon as I wrote that about the "art films" that it was a dumb-shit thing to say. It wasn't what I meant to say, but I think you figured out what I was getting it.

Anywho, once I'm done with A.N. now, I'll be up for some more Coppola/Apocalypse/Y.W.Y. discussion.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #897
Blue Crack Supplier

Lance, did you know that Zooey's debut album, produced by M. Ward, is coming out next year?

Old 12-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #898
Blue Crack Addict

Fo rizzle?

M. Ward is the shit.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #899
Blue Crack Distributor

I just watched Elf on TV ...

Did Ms. Deschanel do her own singing?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #900
LMP