Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Random awesome news and trailers for discussion:

Ang Lee's "Lust, Caution" accepts an NC-17 rating!

I really can't believe both Lee and Focus Features accepted that rating. That's such a risky, and totally admirable move on their part. Not only is it a mandarin-language film realeased during Oscar-season, but not it's NC-17. Unless it gets a whole lot of Oscar buzz, this film could be in a bit of trouble, which is unfortunate, because I want to see this more than ever.

Reservation Road

I'm Not There (The Dylan flick)

The Assassination of Jesse James (This film looks absolutely GORGEOUS. Go see this. YOU MUST!)

American Gangster (New, awesome soundtrack)

Eastern Promises (Wasn't crazy about A History of Violence, but I'm still seeing this Day-One)

Enjoy.

I just watched Barton Fink as the first movie in my Coen Bros. Watch-a-thon and it was pretty good, but I don't understand it yet.

If you've seen it, what do you think?

Barton Fink is one of my favorite Hollywood satires.

It's true classin Coen genius. It's hard to beat. Especially Torturo's turn as Fink. Friggen perfect.

Are the last 25-30 minutes some type of crazy fantasy?

I was reading about Barton Fink's influences and one of them was David Lynch's Eraserhead. Even the synopsis had me feeling nauseous.

Just finished Fargo. I was little disappointed, seeing as it's widely considered the Coen Bros.' best movie. William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi, and of course Frances McDormand were great, but I didn't like the story or pacing all that much.

I'll watch Miller's Crossing after I get back from Dinner.

Shut the fuck up and love this:

big%20lebowski%20in%20little%20china.jpg

Best. Poster. Ever.

Thanks for my new desktop.

Barton Fink is actually my favorite Coen Bros. film. If these guys weren't poking fun at their pretentious main character it would be easy to call the whole thing pretentious as all hell, but you have to remember it was inspired partially by the writer's block they were suffering while writing another screenplay.

From an artistic standpoint I think it's their high watermark, so many shots where I'm just like, Wow. It creates such a unique atmosphere, not an authentic Old Hollywood but a nightmarish version of it. Personally I find it creepier than Lynch because it's more grounded in something substantial. That hotel just gives me the willies thinking about it.

John Goodman gives the performance of his career, and I think he should have been nominated for an Oscar instead of Michael Lerner, who was great but a bit OTT. Turturro cuts such a bizarre figure and at first is unlikeable, but you grow to feel sympathetic, because after his initial mistake of selling out and working in Hollywood, he really does try to do the right thing and seek out the truth.

Although you could argue that at times he condescends to Goodman's character, the point is that he really doesn't "get" the working man he is trying to champion, and the whole experience is his trial by fire (shown literally at the end with the hell metaphor).

The final scene of this film is one continues to haunt me, and I can describe this without spoiling anything. "What's in the box?" "I don't know." "Isn't it yours?" "I don't know. You're very beautiful. Are you in pictures?" And that amazing grace note with the bird.

I think repeat viewings are required here, Lemon MacPhisto, not because they will spell anything out for you, but you'll certainly have an easier time forming your own interpretations after seeing it again.

BTW, this is the only film that has ever won Best Film, Director, and Actor at the Cannes Film Festival. That's no small honor.

I actually agree with Lemon about Fargo. I am a HUGE Coen Bros. fan and never thought it was as great as everyone said it was. Just because they toned down their style a little bit? Fuck that. I like them when they're shooting for the moon and going off the rails. Which is why I'm such a huge fan of the much-maligned Hudsucker Proxy. It probably helps to love 1930's screwball comedies, and to have seen His Girl Friday (Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance is a bit of a play on Rosalind Russell's character in that film), but I thought it was such a great take on the old fashioned feel-good Hollywood movie.

I don't know if we've already done this, but there should be a thread where we rank our Coen Bros films. We'll wait 'til your marathon is over maybe. At the top of your list should be The Man Who Wasn't There, another one of my favs.

lazarus said:
Best. Poster. Ever.

Thanks for my new desktop.

Barton Fink is actually my favorite Coen Bros. film. If these guys weren't poking fun at their pretentious main character it would be easy to call the whole thing pretentious as all hell, but you have to remember it was inspired partially by the writer's block they were suffering while writing another screenplay.

From an artistic standpoint I think it's their high watermark, so many shots where I'm just like, Wow. It creates such a unique atmosphere, not an authentic Old Hollywood but a nightmarish version of it. Personally I find it creepier than Lynch because it's more grounded in something substantial. That hotel just gives me the willies thinking about it.

John Goodman gives the performance of his career, and I think he should have been nominated for an Oscar instead of Michael Lerner, who was great but a bit OTT. Turturro cuts such a bizarre figure and at first is unlikeable, but you grow to feel sympathetic, because after his initial mistake of selling out and working in Hollywood, he really does try to do the right thing and seek out the truth.

Although you could argue that at times he condescends to Goodman's character, the point is that he really doesn't "get" the working man he is trying to champion, and the whole experience is his trial by fire (shown literally at the end with the hell metaphor).

The final scene of this film is one continues to haunt me, and I can describe this without spoiling anything. "What's in the box?" "I don't know." "Isn't it yours?" "I don't know. You're very beautiful. Are you in pictures?" And that amazing grace note with the bird.

I think repeat viewings are required here, Lemon MacPhisto, not because they will spell anything out for you, but you'll certainly have an easier time forming your own interpretations after seeing it again.

BTW, this is the only film that has ever won Best Film, Director, and Actor at the Cannes Film Festival. That's no small honor.

I actually agree with Lemon about Fargo. I am a HUGE Coen Bros. fan and never thought it was as great as everyone said it was. Just because they toned down their style a little bit? Fuck that. I like them when they're shooting for the moon and going off the rails. Which is why I'm such a huge fan of the much-maligned Hudsucker Proxy. It probably helps to love 1930's screwball comedies, and to have seen His Girl Friday (Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance is a bit of a play on Rosalind Russell's character in that film), but I thought it was such a great take on the old fashioned feel-good Hollywood movie.

I don't know if we've already done this, but there should be a thread where we rank our Coen Bros films. We'll wait 'til your marathon is over maybe. At the top of your list should be The Man Who Wasn't There, another one of my favs.

Such a great post, glad someone's with me on Fargo. Other than Lebowski, Barton Fink's my fave Coen Bros. movie.

I have Miller's Crossing, Oh Brother Where Art Thou?, The Ladykillers, and The Man Who Wasn't There lined up on NetFlix. Should I add Blood Simple.?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Just finished Fargo. I was little disappointed, seeing as it's widely considered the Coen Bros.' best movie. William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi, and of course Frances McDormand were great, but I didn't like the story or pacing all that much.

I thought it was overrated as well :shrug:

Much prefer Oh Brother Where Art Thou' :up:

No one mentioned Raising Arizona yet, did they?

^ Hehe I love Raising Arizona, my Dad pointed it out to me a while back. It's a great comedy that's got loads of quotable dialogue just like Lebowski but never gets brought up as much. Totally unique from that and Hudsucker Proxy too, they really didn't put a foot wrong right from the start for so many years.

I can't be the only one who didn't think Intolerable Cruelty was that bad though? I mean, not classic Coens but not BAD.

No, Intolerable Cruelty wasn't that bad. It wasn't a very creatively done film, but it was funny. The leads were great.

The Ladykillers, on the other hand, is neither creative nor funny. Tom Hanks seems like he's in a different film than everyone else, and while he really went for it here, the rest of it is just crap. When the church gospel performances are the best thing in a Coen Bros film, you know there's a problem.

Their worst film by far.

Lemon, I would def put Blood Simple on your list before this one.

Thanks. :up:

I've seen Raising Arizona about 3 times on cable, and I just don't like it. Jeez, how much of a Coen Bros. fan am I if I dislike Raising Arizona AND Fargo. :wink:

I didn't think Intolerable Cruelty was all that bad. I even didn't mind the Ladykillers.

I've seen most of the Coen brothers movies, and my two favorites are Fargo (by far - I think it's just awesome and hilarious ... but maybe it's because I'm from northern Wisconsin, where that accent is common) and O Brother Where Art Thou.

I found both Raising ARizona and the Big Lebowski to be overrated. I just didn't find them nearly as funny as everyone else seems to. Guess I just missed the boat on them. :shrug:

So far here are my Coen Bros. rankings, it'll change after I re-watch Oh, Brother (haven't seen it in years) and see The Man Who Wasn't There, Blood Simple., and The Ladykillers:

1. Barton Fink
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Miller's Crossing
4. The Hudsucker Proxy
5. Fargo
6. Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?
7. Raising Arizona
8. Intolerable Cruelty

I really expect No Country for Old Men to be amazing, too.

Last edited:
Rankings:

1. The Big Lebowski (I don't even care, shut up)
2. Fargo
3. Barton Fink
4. Raising Arizona
5. Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?
6. Intolerable Cruelty
7. The Ladykillers

I haven't seen Miller's Crossing recently enough to rank it fairly, and I have yet to ever see Hudsucker or Blood Simple yet, so this will surely change.

The only ones I haven't seen are Barton Fink, the Hudsucker Proxy and Blood Simple ... I'm sure Barton and Blood are in my Netflix queue. I don't really care about Hudsucker.

Or his proxy. :wink:

Lemon, we really seem to be on the same page with the Coens because I don't find Raising Arizona all that great either. As a comedy, I find it funny, but it doesn't have the weight or subtext of their better films. However, I don't rate Blood Simple & Fargo higher because I don't think they're weird enough. I am looking forward to No Country of Old Men after the fluff of the last two films, even if it's not likely to be the hybrid I prefer.

Here are my rankings:

1. Barton Fink
2. The Man Who Wasn't There
3. The Hudsucker Proxy
4. Miller's Crossing
5. The Big Lebowski
6. O Brother Where Art Thou?
7. Fargo
8. Blood Simple
9. Intolerable Cruelty
10. Raising Arizona
11. The Ladykillers

You guys really need to see The Man Who Wasn't There, an amazing blend of all the film noir staples with their unique sense of humor and visuals. If you're at all a fan of Thornton, you're going to love him in this. Tony Shalhoub, a great Coen supporting actor in the past, is on fire here. I'm not going to spoil anything about the film, but I think the final line/shot is one of the most poignant in their entire filmography.

From a visual standpoint, the black & white photography is perfection. The DVD actually has a lengthy interview with Roger Deakins about cinematography that's a real treat. Best of all is the rarity of the Coen Bros. in a commentary, along with Billy Bob. Their recognizable laughter is present through a good portion of the film.

Now I'm really itchin' to check out The Man Who Wasn't There. :up:

Another interesting thing about No Country for Old Men is that most, if not all, of the Coen Bros. group of actors aren't anywhere to be seen in the cast on IMDb.

I only recognize Stephen Root from The Ladykillers and Oh Brother...

Woody Harrelson is a new presence, but he sure SEEMS like he's part of their revolving cast. I daresay we'll be seeing him in future Coen films.

Oh, I'd completely forgotten about The Man Who Wasn't There! It was pretty good. Very visually striking.

lazarus said:
Woody Harrelson is a new presence, but he sure SEEMS like he's part of their revolving cast. I daresay we'll be seeing him in future Coen films.

He does, it's crazy.

Kudos to Josh Brolin for being in Grindhouse, No Country for Old Men, and American Gangster, 3 potential Pantheon-level movies this year. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom