Interference Random Movie Talk - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #781
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Did you like the Redux version more than the original cut?
I did, yes, though, to be fair, it has been a long time since I watched the original. It's not like LOTR or something, where I see ROTK in the theater, and one year later buy the extended version, making it easier for me to compare and contrast.

All I know is that watching Apocalypse was thoroughly engrossing and I was just overly impressed with scene after scene.
__________________

__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #782
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:52 PM
Oh, okay.

Once my Netflix account isn't on hold, I'll put it toward the top of the queue.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 PM   #783
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 02:52 PM
You should. Laz needs to come in here and more accurately describe how incredible that film is.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #784
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 06:52 PM
AN > AN: Redux
__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #785
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 02:52 PM
I want to preface my Redux comments by reminding you guys that this film is currently my #1 of all time. I've seen both versions in the theatre, own both DVDs, read Conrad's source material, seen Hearts of Darkness, and am currently reading a book about the production of the film.

I understand why some have a problem with Redux. It probably doesn't flow as well as the theatrical version, and not all the new scenes seem integral to the story. However, the film is episodic in nature anyway--it goes from set piece to set piece, and I'm not convinced that adding a couple more in really detracts from the tone and/or structure of the original.

Another common complaint is that regardless of how well the French Plantation section is written and shot, it's a huge detour at an important part of the film. Again, I disagree. Half the fucking story is a detour from the mission. Do Lung Bridge probably wouldn't seem to serve much of a purpose had it been dropped in as a new scene, as it's more psychedelic and out-there than anything else in the film. But the reality of the war is that this kind of shit was happening, and the French expatriates are as real as anything else in the film. The dinner argument provides a much more substantial political context for what's going on, and the love scene gives us another shade of Willard, who we don't get to know nearly as well as we do Kurtz in the theatrical version. Clean's funeral is so well-done and is a nice bit of closure.

The bottom line is that I love this film, everything about it, and to me the Redux just gives me more of that magic behind and in front of the camera. I doubt I'll ever watch the other version again.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #786
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:52 PM
If my calculations are correct my next threesome of movies will be:

Vertigo
Apocalypse Now
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

I'm gonna see some serious shit.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #787
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
I want to preface my Redux comments by reminding you guys that this film is currently my #1 of all time. I've seen both versions in the theatre, own both DVDs, read Conrad's source material, seen Hearts of Darkness, and am currently reading a book about the production of the film.

I understand why some have a problem with Redux. It probably doesn't flow as well as the theatrical version, and not all the new scenes seem integral to the story. However, the film is episodic in nature anyway--it goes from set piece to set piece, and I'm not convinced that adding a couple more in really detracts from the tone and/or structure of the original.

Another common complaint is that regardless of how well the French Plantation section is written and shot, it's a huge detour at an important part of the film. Again, I disagree. Half the fucking story is a detour from the mission. Do Lung Bridge probably wouldn't seem to serve much of a purpose had it been dropped in as a new scene, as it's more psychedelic and out-there than anything else in the film. But the reality of the war is that this kind of shit was happening, and the French expatriates are as real as anything else in the film. The dinner argument provides a much more substantial political context for what's going on, and the love scene gives us another shade of Willard, who we don't get to know nearly as well as we do Kurtz in the theatrical version. Clean's funeral is so well-done and is a nice bit of closure.

The bottom line is that I love this film, everything about it, and to me the Redux just gives me more of that magic behind and in front of the camera. I doubt I'll ever watch the other version again.
Laz to the rescue. Thanks.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #788
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,005
Local Time: 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
If my calculations are correct my next threesome of movies will be:

Vertigo
Apocalypse Now
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

I'm gonna see some serious shit.

Wow, Vertigo is my #2 of all time. You will be well trained.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #789
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:52 PM
Nice, what's your #3? And what did you think of Fear & Loathing?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #790
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 06:52 PM
Everytime I see someone mention Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas I initially read it as Leaving Las Vegas, which makes me a very happy person. Then I realize I can't read.
__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 11-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #791
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:52 PM
Leaving Las Vegas is the one with Nic Cage and Elizabeth Shue, right?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #792
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 02:52 PM
Everytime I see "Las Vegas" I think about how many road trips I made there and get sad that I now live 1,500 miles away.

Leaving Las Vegas > Honeymoon in Vegas > Feak and Loathing in Las Vegas.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #793
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Leaving Las Vegas is the one with Nic Cage and Elizabeth Shue, right?
Correct.

And everytime someone says Nic Cage is a bad actor I shove a copy of this film up their ass and spit on their shoe.
__________________
Lancemc is online now  
Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #794
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 02:52 PM
Nic Cage is a former good actor who turned himself into a movie star.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 11:17 PM   #795
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 06:52 PM
Ghost ride the whip.
__________________

__________________
Lancemc is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com