Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No spoken words said:
Chariots of Fire.

Like? Dislike? I want to know your thoughts.

Undeservedly won Best Picture over Reds, an actual masterpiece. Chariots isn't a bad film, but it's nothing special. You take away that Vangelis score and no one would even remember it.

The theme to Chariots Of Fire is an iconic piece of music. It is used ALL the time in television and movies during dramatic, slow-motion-ized races.

LemonMacPhisto said:
He was great in The Fifth Element and Friday, too bad his career went down the path it did, you know?

Same with Cuba Gooding Jr., iconic in Jerry Maguire, and has done absolutely nothing since... except maybe Radio, but that's it.

A bit of trivia: Cuba's little brother Omar was one of the hosts of Nickelodeon's 'Wild And Crazy Kids' in the late 80s and early 90s.

lazarus said:

Undeservedly won Best Picture over Reds, an actual masterpiece. Chariots isn't a bad film, but it's nothing special. You take away that Vangelis score and no one would even remember it.

Another movie I'd like to see at some point. Don't people also argue Raiders of the Lost Ark was more deserving of an Oscar than Chariots?

Raiders is a hugely enjoyable movie, but Best Picture? I don't know about that. There's no subtext at all, just a regurgitation of earlier adventure films like Gunga Dun, or Fritz Lang's Indian Epic. If you'd said Close Encounters , I'd entertain the notion, as I think it's a worthier BP winner than Star Wars (though probably not Annie Hall).

I'm not one of those people that thinks every Best Picture winner has to be about important subject matter, or some kind of super artsy endeavor. But even a crowd pleaser like The Departed was totally Shakespearean and had some thematic power behind all the cool shit. Indy, not so much.

The other film that was worthy of BP that year was Louis Malle's Atlantic City, and had Henry Fonda not been given that deathbed make up Oscar, Burt Lancaster would have won.

One note of interest is that for Reds, Beatty repeated his feat from the 1978 Oscar, when with Heaven Can Wait he was the first individual to be nominated for Producing, Writing, Directing, and Acting in a film since Orson Welles for Citizen Kane.

I strongly encourage those who haven't seen Reds to do so. It's a great historical epic with an equally great love story, featuring what's probably Diane Keaton and Beatty's best performances, and a very against-type Jack Nicholson as Eugene O'Neill. It's also funny as hell at times, when they rereleased it in theatres last year there was a lot of people laughing out loud.

Probably my favorite film of the 1980's.

Hmm, I'll add Reds to the NetFlix queue. Thanks for the info.

Another undeserving Oscar win:

Forrest Gump in 1994 over Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption. Tim Burton's masterpiece Ed Wood wasn't even nominated for Best Picture, although Landau won Supporting Actor for playing Bela Lugosi.

I like Forrest Gump, it's not a bad movie by any means, it's enjoyable, but nothing too spectacular, at least for me. Gotta say Pulp Fiction was way more deserving, but that's just me.

Oh, fuck the Oscars.

For the record, I'm a big Chariots fan. Agreed that the score helps make it all the more memorable, but, I really enjoy it beyond that. I think it's the tie-in with faith that gets me, something atypical in a film whose crux is athletics. But, that's just me, I know tons of people that dislike it, and think it's slow, or, boring, even. Such is life.

Can someone please explain to me what the hell Pulp Fiction is? Is it comedy? Drama? Action? Thriller? Horror? Ultra-violence-for-the-sake-of-it?

And what the hell is the gimp?

I'm too scared to see it. :reject:

Has ANYONE seen The Castle?

OMFG :drool:

LemonMelon said:
I've really been catching up on the "movies to watch" list in my head.

Trainspotting is next. :dancing:

Love Trainspotting. Good luck, there's some tough scenes but an overall good portrayal of a very difficult addiction. Love the scene where they all get together in another attempt at kicking the habit and go to the great outdoors to walk to the top of the hill. Also, I love the ending rap. No wonder people turn to smack. :up: (to the movie, not heroin) :wink:

Lancemc said:

The band sounds good, but what I really think is strange about this trailer is how heavily Marty is featured. Who's the subject of this thing? If you watch The Last Waltz, you can see Marty interviewing The Band, but they don't really show his face. Here, Marty was in half the shots!

I love the guy to death, but is he now a celebrity because he finally won his Oscar? Is the film about the band or about making the film about the band? Or is all this behind-the-scenes stuff just for the trailer, to set up what's going on?

I'm planning on checking this out either way. But I have a feeling this was pushed back to next spring because they were afraid of competing with the U2 3-D concert film, which would probably kick its ass all over the place.

COBL_04 said:
Can someone please explain to me what the hell Pulp Fiction is? Is it comedy? Drama? Action? Thriller? Horror? Ultra-violence-for-the-sake-of-it?

And what the hell is the gimp?

Pulp Fiction is mainly a character drama about different sets of people (hitmen, a washed-up boxer, etc...) connected by a soulless mob boss.

It has moments of violence, but it's few and far between. Most of the movie is sharp dialogue going back in forth between two characters. It's also non-linear, which is amazing, btw.

The Gimp is some dude that two sadists keep in the basement of their shop. When Bruce Willis and Ving Rhames are captured... yeah. I don't recall seeing anything explicit, but it's all implied.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Pulp Fiction is mainly a character drama about different sets of people (hitmen, a washed-up boxer, etc...) connected by a soulless mob boss.

It has moments of violence, but it's few and far between. Most of the movie is sharp dialogue going back in forth between two characters. It's also non-linear, which is amazing, btw.

The Gimp is some dude that two sadists keep in the basement of their shop. When Bruce Willis and Ving Rhames are captured... yeah. I don't recall seeing anything explicit, but it's all implied.

Okay. So I should grow a pair and check it out? :wink:

Being a huge Neil Gaiman fan, I'm dying to see "Stardust" (that in Italy will only be out in October if all goes well...)...just curious to see if they were able to recreate the atmosphere of the book...I'm not expecting a masterpiece but it's nice to see Gaiman start to have a bit more credit for his talent.

hardyharhar said:

Love Trainspotting. Good luck, there's some tough scenes but an overall good portrayal of a very difficult addiction. Love the scene where they all get together in another attempt at kicking the habit and go to the great outdoors to walk to the top of the hill. Also, I love the ending rap. No wonder people turn to smack. :up: (to the movie, not heroin) :wink:

Agreed. I thought it was awesome. I love it when Sick Boy and Renton pick off that pit bull and it starts attacking its owner. :lol:

While I enjoyed Trainspotting at the time, I still think it glamourizes drugs to a certain extent (even with the OD scene). While they can be fun, for a time, I don't know that you leave the film thinking "I need to stay away from that shit".

Requiem for a Dream, on the other hand, really shows the forces you're playing with when you get too deep into drug use.

One is a fun film that has memorable lines and a high re-watch factor, the latter a nightmare you won't want to live again anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom