Interference Random Movie Talk - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive

Old 09-22-2007, 11:45 AM   #616
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Did you guys know Morricone scored Carpenter's The Thing?

That may have been one of the reasons I loved that movie so much.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #617
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
and Once Upon a Time in the West is prob in my Top 10 favorite films (it often alternates with Once Upon a Time in America).

Two of the greatest films ever made.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #618
Blue Crack Addict

Pages 17, 18, & 19

I can't believe that I missed three glorious pages of Roadhouse and Tombstone comments.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #619
Blue Crack Addict

Since I missed it, let me just say, I pray to God everyday that I will at some point in my life, be cool enough to call people 'mi hijo'.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #620
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

Two of the greatest films ever made.
Lance have you had a chance to see Duck, You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite) yet? The DVD was just released for the first time recently. Not quite as great as the other two, but it completes the "trilogy" (original title was "Once Upon a Time...The Revolution) and is a much more overt political statement than the other two.

And LMP, I know Morricone scored The Thing, but what's weird is that it totally sounds like one of Carpenter's scores. What an odd collaboration, but Morricone did some films in the 80's and 90's you wouldn't expect: Wolf, Disclosure, In the Line of Fire, Fat Man & Little Boy, Red Sonja. He certainly has done his share of hack work, but when he's at his best he blows John Williams out of the water.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #621
Blue Crack Addict

I have yet to see Duck, You Sucker, unfortunately. Though it's very high on my to-see list.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #622
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Speaking of composers, James Horner, Danny Elfman, and of course John Williams own a piece of my soul.

Absolutely love their work.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #623
Refugee

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Hey Mr LMP, how's the Hitchcockathon going?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #624
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not the biggest Howard Shore fan, but his score for Eastern Promises was surprisingly good.

EP is 5th at the box office this weekend too. And surprisingly, 3:10 To Yuma is still doing pretty well.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #625
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyskin
Hey Mr LMP, how's the Hitchcockathon going?
It's going pretty well actually. I just saw Psycho, loved it, and now I'm going to watch the '90s remake and go on with other Hitchcock flicks (North by Northwest and The Birds are next)
Old 09-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #626
Blue Crack Supplier

Have you seen Vertigo yet? You definitely want to watch Marnie as a companion piece to it, as they explore similar themes and are both highly stylized. Very underrated Hitchcock--though you could say that about all of his 60's work save for The Birds and Psycho (which I think is ridiculously overrated and not even in his 10 best). I think Topaz received a bad rap particularly, because of the lack of a movie star/central character, and that it's more of an espionage procedural than a suspense thriller.

Torn Curtain (with Paul Newman!) is a mixed bag overall, but has many great scenes that make it a must see.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #627
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Vertigo's somewhere in the queue, same with Dial M for Murder, Notorious, To Catch a Thief, and The Man Who Knew Too Much. I'll add those movies you listed, too.

So far I've seen Rear Window, which I thought was a brilliant character movie. The dialogue was still pretty sharp for an older film and I really dug how it was all shot from the perspective of the apartment.

Psycho was pretty good as well, but more of an understated flick than I expected. The narrative shifts from the story of Janet Leigh's embezzlement and lover to Norman Bates and his insanity, which is where the film partly lost me. The Doctor's explanation of Norman's "condition" at the end of the film is the biggest 'Obi-Wan on the Log' scene ever... definitely a studio push there. Maybe if that scene wasn't there the ending would've been a bit better for me, I'm not sure. I didn't quite like the direction it took after the detective's murder.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #628
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
The Doctor's explanation of Norman's "condition" at the end of the film is the biggest 'Obi-Wan on the Log' scene ever... definitely a studio push there. Maybe if that scene wasn't there the ending would've been a bit better for me, I'm not sure. I didn't quite like the direction it took after the detective's murder.
FYI, the "Obi-Wan on the log" scene has actually been renamed the "Ben Kinglsey-voiced robot sits on the bed" scene in honor of Spielberg's royal fucking-up of the otherswise brilliant A.I.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #629
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Next time I watch A.I., I'll just stop after the first end narration / David trapped underwater with the Blue Fairy scene.

Now that's perfection.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #630
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm sick of all these people defending A.I.'s epilogue with cries of "it was part of Kubrick's original plan!" First of all, Kubrick is notorious for tampering with his films way down to the wire before they're released. Who knows what the fuck he would have included? Second, if the epilogue doesn't look like Kubrick, sound like Kubrick, or feel like Kubrick, it ain't Kubrick. He never would have handled it that awkwardly even if he had included the material.

And yes, a fade out on that Blue Fairy would have been perfection. But tell me the last time you found perfection at the end of a Spielberg film. Here's a suggestion: Raiders.