Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2democrat said:
2 confessions:

I want to see Alvin and the Chipmunks because I think I'd enjoy it.

I want to see Atonement so I can mock it. :yes:

The awesomeness inherent in this post is nearly too much to bare. And it's not for the reasons you'd hope.

:drool:

corianderstem said:
I laughed my ass off at Harold & Kumar, and the poster with NPH and the unicorn was a thing of beauty.

But that? Looks so dumb. :(

Maybe I'm just not in the right mood.

Or maybe you're too sober... :wink:

U2democrat said:
2 confessions:

I want to see Alvin and the Chipmunks because I think I'd enjoy it.

I want to see Atonement so I can mock it. :yes:

Awww, U2Democrat. Thist post makes me sad. Are you sure you didn't mean it the other way around?

And to laz: I have no idea what you're talking about. :shifty:

corianderstem said:

Awww, U2Democrat. Thist post makes me sad. Are you sure you didn't mean it the other way around?

I know, it's horrible :reject: Ever since I was a kid I had a soft spot for Alvin and the Chipmunks, go figure :shrug: It'll probably be horrible, but a nice mindless movie after finals will be just what I need.

As for Atonement, it just looks like a cookie cutter Oscar film :shrug:

U2democrat said:

It's anything but cookie-cutter, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much.

U2democrat said:

Have you read the book? Because it's a great story, and a really good adaptation of the book.

verte76 said:
I saw Darjeeling Ltd. yesterday. My sister thought it was hilarious, but I didn't think it was funny.

I think the fans of this movie are more about Wes Anderson directing style.

The visuals.

I found it funny.

I really enjoyed the Kinks songs alot.

And I liked the entire film.

If one is a Wes Anderson fan this film will please them.

Lancemc said:

It's anything but cookie-cutter, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much.

Abonement is getting universally very good reviews.

I do agree with U2dem

the previews look pretty sappy

but previews can be misleading

go chipmunks :up:

The trailers for Atonement were some of the worst of the year. Entirely boring, and yes, a bit misleading.

Yeah, I'd say the "sappiness" quotient of the trailers is a bit misleading, but if I say why, it's really ruining the whole story - particularly the ending.

Don't be fooled by the trailers. It's a very, very good movie.

More "Youth Without Youth" stuff

Here's a cool interview from comingsoon.net

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=40049

And they also posted a short clip from the film...very cool stuff

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=40032

And for the hell of it, I'll post a fake DVD cover I designed for this movie, for a Rotten Tomatoes "DVD Cover redesign photoshop competition type thing...". I have only just started teaching myself photo-editing software, so it's obviously not high-quality stuff, but I this is as good a place to share it as any I suppose.

ywydvd3zl9.png

Nicely done.

I'm in Orlando now, and there is like nothing even close to indie fare to watch here. I think I'm going to see The Golden Compass. Although, strangely, one theatre is showing It's A Wonderful Life. Never seen that in the theatre before.

Sucks that I have to wait a week and a half to get back to Los Angeles and see all the good stuff.

A surprisingly VERY positive review for I Am Legend over at the Village Voice, who are usually pretty picky and don't care for standard Hollywood fare. Guess I'll be checking this one out after all:

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0750,foundas,78573,20.html

And compared to the other critiques I've read, a very forgiving review of Youth Without Youth by the paper's head critic J. Hoberman, the pickiest of the picky:

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0750,hoberman,78576,20.html

Light spoilers and plot points discussed in both.

I finally saw the Shawshank Redemption last night :reject: It was great though, absolutely phenomenal!

Our department at work is being taken out to lunch next Friday, and then we get the rest of the afternoon off.

I smell a Friday matinee in my future! :drool:

lazarus said:
Nicely done.

I'm in Orlando now, and there is like nothing even close to indie fare to watch here. I think I'm going to see The Golden Compass. Although, strangely, one theatre is showing It's A Wonderful Life. Never seen that in the theatre before.

Sucks that I have to wait a week and a half to get back to Los Angeles and see all the good stuff.

Winter Park has a theater or two, or the Enzian out by Maitland.

Yeah, there are a lot of special "holiday" showings of films around this time of year out there.

Are you staying out by Disney or downtown?

No spoken words said:

That could be any fucking part of Orlando.

Sorry, bastard.

Oh, no. I pretty much agree. Downtown is close to getting some identity, but it's not there yet.

Yeah, staying out by Disney isn't too bad. At least it's close to Universal and CityWalk, I really suggest going there if you have the time.

Chicago Film Critics have chosen their winners (unlike most city critics groups, they have nominees first):

Picture: No Country For Old Men
Actor: Daniel Day-FUCKING-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Actress: Ellen Page, Juno
Sup Actor: Javier Bardem, No Country For Old Men
Sup Actress: Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone (like the competition)
Director: Joel & Ethan Coen, NCFOM
Orig. Screenplay: Diablo Cody, Juno
Adapted Screenplay: Joel & Ethan Coen, NCFOM
Cinematography: Roger Deakins, Jesse James/Robert Ford (NICE)

For you, Laz. This is from MSN's 10 Worst Movie Endings Ever:

Special Prize: Steven Spielberg
"War of the Worlds" (2005)
"Schindler's List" (1993)
"Saving Private Ryan" (1998)
"Minority Report" (2002)
"AI" (2001)

I'm not one of those Spielberg bashers. In fact, I have good things to say about every single one of the above movies -- right up until their endings. Seems that in recent years, Spielberg has developed a bad case of anticlimactitis, an alarmingly common affliction among pop-culture artists that causes them to either (a) overstate the themes of the film in case anyone in the audience had missed them ("Minority Report"); (b) chicken out and deliver an unearned feel-good ending ("War of the Worlds"); (c) allow the film to drag on for an additional 45 minutes beyond its organic, satisfying ending and into a protracted, agonized, unconvincing epilogue that turns everything that came before into a pseudo-Freudian nightmare ("AI"); and worst of all (d) take all the artfulness out of a powerful piece of fiction and transform it into a weirdly ritualized, lily-gilding present day with real people doing real things like lighting candles and saluting gravestones, just to underline the film's nobility ("Schindler's List," "Saving Private Ryan"). It's a frustrating trend, one that makes it harder to defend one of cinema's most maligned directors. It also makes you long for the sight of Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider paddling for shore on the splinters of a blown-up fishing boat, great white shark guts bobbing in their wake. Now that's an ending.

YES!!!! :rockon:

This is about as well-stated as it possibly could be.

If you don't understand what this guy's talking about...well, you deserve the endings you get.

lazarus said:
YES!!!! :rockon:

This is about as well-stated as it possibly could be.

If you don't understand what this guy's talking about...well, you deserve the endings you get.

See, now Laz knows how to end things. Might not get much applause, but it's real. Real real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom