Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There Will Be Blood kicked ass at the LAFCA awards this year:

BEST PICTURE
There Will Be Blood
Runner Up: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

DIRECTOR
Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Runner-up: Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
ACTRESS
Marion Cotillard, La Vie En Rose
Runner-up: Anamaria Marinca, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days

ACTOR:
Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Runner-up: Frank Langella, Starting Out in the Evening

SCREENPLAY
Tamara Jenkins, The Savages
Runner-up: There Will Be Blood, Paul Thomas Anderson

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Runner-up: Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Vlad Ivanov, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
Runner-up: Hal Holbrook, Into The Wild

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days,
Runner-up: The Diving Bell & The Butterfly

DOCUMENTARY/NON-FICTION FILM
No End in Sight directed by Charles Ferguson
Runner-up: Sicko, Michael Moore

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Jack Fisk, There Will Be Blood
Runner-up: Dante Ferretti, Sweeney Todd

ANIMATION
tie - Ratatouille (Brad Bird) and
Persepolis (Vincent Paronnaud/Marjane Satrapi)

MUSIC
Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, Once
Runner-up: Johnny Greenwood, There Will Be Blood

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Janusz Kaminski, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Runner-up: Robert Elswit, There Will Be Blood
NEW GENERATION
Sarah Polley - Away from Her

CAREER ACHIEVEMENT
Sidney Lumet

INDEPENDENT/EXPERIMENTAL
Pedro Costa, Colossal Youth (Juvenude em Marcha)

I've seen a trailer for a movie called Wanted several times now. It looks very much like a big, dumb, shoot-em-up type movie, but that trailer did its job on me: I want to see it. It looks fun!

I'm tired of seeing the trailer for Charlie Wilson's War, but will likely end up going to see it, because it probably would be something I'll like.

But man, why oh WHY are they using "All Along the Watchtower" and "American Pie" in the trailer? It's not a Vietnam movie! As soon as I hear Hendrix over war footage, it's a Vietnam movie. Just like when you hear "Moonlight Serenade," you know a character will find out that Pearl Harbor's just been bombed.

Charlie Wilson looks deceiving. The trailer blows, but the combo of Tom Hanks-Philip Seymour Hoffman-Mike Nichols-Aaron Sorkin is too good to be missed.

Lancemc said:
There Will Be Blood kicked ass at the LAFCA awards this year:

FUCK yeah.

It also took Best Pic, Actor, and Director at the NY Film Critics Online (not to be confused with the regular NY Film Critics, who announce tomorrow).

Boston went for No Country For Old Men, as did Washington DC. Javier Bardem's collected 3 or 4 supporting actor mentions already.

I was beginning to think Blood was going to fall by the wayside, but this should help.

Johnny Depp has yet to win any awards, BTW. Let's hope it stays that way until the Golden Globes, where I doubt he could fail to win in the Musical/Comedy Category.

All I really want to see this year is Anderson get his direction credits he so deserves. Everything else would just be icing on the cake so to speak.

I'd be very surprised if TWBB is going to take anything at the Oscars, other than DDL. From what I've read, it's just a bit too challenging and off-putting to be given the highest honors. Which is fine with me, because I'd rather see a better film than see it clean up at awards shows.

L.A. Film Critics give 'Blood,' Lewis top honors

By Kirk Honeycutt

Dec 10, 2007

Paul Thomas Anderson's "There Will Be Blood," an epic tale of the oil business in early 20th-century California, won four awards from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association in their year-end voting Sunday including best picture, director and actor honors.

Anderson was selected as best director while Daniel-Day Lewis' performance as a rapacious oil man in "There Will Be Blood" won as best actor. The group also gave its production design honor to "Blood's" Jack Fisk, whose early California design won over Dante Ferretti's re-creation of late 19th century London for "Sweeney Todd."

The other multiple-award winner was Christian Mungiu's Romanian film "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days" -- the Palme d'or winner at Cannes this year -- which won both best foreign language film honors and best supporting actor in Vlad Ivanov, who played the abortionist in the film.

The film that finished runner-up in the best picture and director categories was Julian Schnabel's French-language "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly."

Best actress went to French actress Marion Cotillard, who delivered a knock-out performance as Edith Piaf in the biopic "La Vie en Rose." Runner-up was Anamaria Marinca, who played a young woman helping a friend get an abortion in "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days."

The runner-up to Lewis as best actor was Frank Langella, who played an aging novelist in "Starting out in the Evening."

Tamara Jenkins won the best screenplay citation for "The Savages," her comic drama about two quarreling siblings trying to settle their mentally failing father, beating out "There Will Be Blood," Anderson's adaptation of Upton Sinclair's novel.

The best supporting actress nod went to Amy Ryan, recognized for her work in two films, "Gone Baby Gone" and "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead." She won over Cate Blanchett, who played Bob Dylan in "I'm Not There."

Hal Holbrook, who played a retired army officer in "Into the Wild," finished second to "4 Month's" Ivanov.

The New Generation Award, which usually goes to a cinema newcomer, went to Sarah Polley, a long time Canadian actress but first time director with "Away From Her."

In animation, Brad Bird's "Ratatouille," made at Pixar, tied "Persepolis," made in France and directed by Marjane Satrapi (which Vincent Paronnaud co-directed).

In the documentary category, the critics honored Charles Ferguson's Iraqi doc, "No End in Sight." Michael Moore's indictment of health care in the U.S., "Sicko," came in second.

For cinematography, the group voted for Janusz Kaminski's work in "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly." Robert Elswit's cinematography on "There Will Be Blood" was runner-up.

For best musical score, the critics selected the score -- mostly songs written by Glen Hansard and Markita Irglova -- for the Irish musical "Once." Jonny Greenwood's score for "There Will Be Blood" was runner-up.

I have not seen Blood yet.

Paul Thomas Anderson has never made a bad film.

Actually, every film he has made is top notch.

Best actress went to French actress Marion Cotillard, who delivered a knock-out performance as Edith Piaf in the biopic "La Vie en Rose."

I saw this film and her performance is a once in a life time performance. I can't even think of any other actresses that did work this year that was half as good as this.

The runner-up to Lewis as best actor was Frank Langella, who played an aging novelist in "Starting out in the Evening."

I saw this movie last night and he did a masterful job. I have seen him on stage, and he really nailed this. The movie was excellent. I hope he gets an Oscar nom.

Cotillard has a bit of an uphill battle as the last woman to win an Oscar for acting in a foreign language film was Sophia Loren about 50 years ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Luckily for her, this is kind of a weak year for lead actress roles (compared to last year's, which was overloaded), and she could still sneak by if enough people see it. And also lucky for her, Kate Winslet won't be contending this year, because they'd like, HAVE to give it to her at this point.

lazarus said:
Cotillard has a bit of an uphill battle as the last woman to win an Oscar for acting in a foreign language film was Sophia Loren about 50 years ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Luckily for her, this is kind of a weak year for lead actress roles (compared to last year's, which was overloaded), and she could still sneak by if enough people see it. And also lucky for her, Kate Winslet won't be contending this year, because they'd like, HAVE to give it to her at this point.

I have not seen Elizabeth: The Golden Age

is it / she that good in it?

I thought she was great in Notes on a Scandal last year.

That was the last good movie I saw her in.

oops

he mentioned Kate

and I read Cate

anyways does Kate Winslet even have a 2007 film?

Kate Winslet did award worthy work in Little Children. a great film in 2006

deep said:
I saw this movie last night and he did a masterful job. I have seen him on stage, and he really nailed this. The movie was excellent. I hope he gets an Oscar nom.

I saw a trailer for this yesterday; I'd never heard of the movie until then. The trailer had a bunch of quotes from critics hailing Langella's performance.

And agreed re: Winslet and Cruz.

I can't even remember who won last year. I remember The Departed was best picture, and that's about it.

Watching the Godfather Part III right now for the first time through.

Two things:

This is an abysmal DVD transfer. Looks worse then the other two films. Bleck.

Sofia Coppola...Christ.

Three other things:

Holy shit, it's Tuco.

God damn that reporter is a hottie.

And Andy Garcia if a fucking badass.

What's sad is not that the film is terrible (because it isn't), it's that Coppola was clearly able to deliver moments of greatness that FEEL like they go together with the other two, but some very poor choices make it ultimately a failure; namely casting Winona Ryder in the first place (who also would have sucked), replacing her with his daughter (who at least LOOKS the part), casting Bridget Fonda (supposed to be the younger counterpart of Diane Keaton's role in the originals), insulting Robert Duvall away from the project with a paltry monetary offer, and I still think Andy Garcia isn't nearly as good as people think or want him to be.

Also, that final scene of Pacino on the chair with the orange is handled so awkwardly it's painful to watch.

The film had a great trailer, though.

Yeah, if there's anything this film is missing already, it's Robert Duvall.

Tom Hagen was easily my favorite character from the first two films, and could have made a real strong counterpart to Michael in this film, since the tension between those two was building throughout the entirety of the first two films.

Also, the Sofia's character Mary would have been much more effective had she been born mute.

My god, she's awful.

When Kate wins her Oscar I really hope it's for a great performance and a leading one at that. I'd rather see her have to wait ten years and desrve it than receive a guilty career recognition.

Then again I don't know which she'd prefer :wink:

What I admire about Kate is that she doesn't choose these typical Oscar-bait roles. The charming but annoying girl in Eternal Sunshine, and the frumpy housewife in Little Children aren't exactly in line with what usually wins at the Oscars.

She made fun of this in her guest spot on Extras when she's appearing in a Holocaust film just to win an oscar, and says something about having to do that or play a handicapped person if you want one. Really hilarious.

I love it when she starts talking dirty about buffing her husband's Oscar, etc but then gets caught out :lol:

San Francisco Film Critics:

Picture: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford :drool:

Director: Joel & Ethan Coen, No Country For Old Men

Actor: George Clooney, Michael Clayton

Actress: Julie Christie, Away From Her

Sup. Actor: Casey Affleck, James/Ford

Sup. Actress: Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone (cleaning UP)

Woah, fucking awesome giving Jesse James a win. I applaud the SFFC.

But wtf's with Clooney this year? Was he seriously good enough to beat some of the strongest male performances in recent memory?

You didn't see Michael Clayton?!?! ZOMG!!!

It was actually a very well-done thriller. Nothing major. And Clooney has been better, namely in Syriana and Solaris. Not really understanding the hype on that perf.

I laughed my ass off at Harold & Kumar, and the poster with NPH and the unicorn was a thing of beauty.

But that? Looks so dumb. :(

Maybe I'm just not in the right mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom