Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMacPhisto said:
Did you like the Redux version more than the original cut?

I did, yes, though, to be fair, it has been a long time since I watched the original. It's not like LOTR or something, where I see ROTK in the theater, and one year later buy the extended version, making it easier for me to compare and contrast.

All I know is that watching Apocalypse was thoroughly engrossing and I was just overly impressed with scene after scene.

Oh, okay.

Once my Netflix account isn't on hold, I'll put it toward the top of the queue.

I want to preface my Redux comments by reminding you guys that this film is currently my #1 of all time. I've seen both versions in the theatre, own both DVDs, read Conrad's source material, seen Hearts of Darkness, and am currently reading a book about the production of the film.

I understand why some have a problem with Redux. It probably doesn't flow as well as the theatrical version, and not all the new scenes seem integral to the story. However, the film is episodic in nature anyway--it goes from set piece to set piece, and I'm not convinced that adding a couple more in really detracts from the tone and/or structure of the original.

Another common complaint is that regardless of how well the French Plantation section is written and shot, it's a huge detour at an important part of the film. Again, I disagree. Half the fucking story is a detour from the mission. Do Lung Bridge probably wouldn't seem to serve much of a purpose had it been dropped in as a new scene, as it's more psychedelic and out-there than anything else in the film. But the reality of the war is that this kind of shit was happening, and the French expatriates are as real as anything else in the film. The dinner argument provides a much more substantial political context for what's going on, and the love scene gives us another shade of Willard, who we don't get to know nearly as well as we do Kurtz in the theatrical version. Clean's funeral is so well-done and is a nice bit of closure.

The bottom line is that I love this film, everything about it, and to me the Redux just gives me more of that magic behind and in front of the camera. I doubt I'll ever watch the other version again.

If my calculations are correct my next threesome of movies will be:

Vertigo
Apocalypse Now
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

I'm gonna see some serious shit.

lazarus said:
I want to preface my Redux comments by reminding you guys that this film is currently my #1 of all time. I've seen both versions in the theatre, own both DVDs, read Conrad's source material, seen Hearts of Darkness, and am currently reading a book about the production of the film.

I understand why some have a problem with Redux. It probably doesn't flow as well as the theatrical version, and not all the new scenes seem integral to the story. However, the film is episodic in nature anyway--it goes from set piece to set piece, and I'm not convinced that adding a couple more in really detracts from the tone and/or structure of the original.

Another common complaint is that regardless of how well the French Plantation section is written and shot, it's a huge detour at an important part of the film. Again, I disagree. Half the fucking story is a detour from the mission. Do Lung Bridge probably wouldn't seem to serve much of a purpose had it been dropped in as a new scene, as it's more psychedelic and out-there than anything else in the film. But the reality of the war is that this kind of shit was happening, and the French expatriates are as real as anything else in the film. The dinner argument provides a much more substantial political context for what's going on, and the love scene gives us another shade of Willard, who we don't get to know nearly as well as we do Kurtz in the theatrical version. Clean's funeral is so well-done and is a nice bit of closure.

The bottom line is that I love this film, everything about it, and to me the Redux just gives me more of that magic behind and in front of the camera. I doubt I'll ever watch the other version again.

Laz to the rescue. Thanks. :)

LemonMacPhisto said:
If my calculations are correct my next threesome of movies will be:

Vertigo
Apocalypse Now
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

I'm gonna see some serious shit.

Wow, Vertigo is my #2 of all time. You will be well trained.

Everytime I see someone mention Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas I initially read it as Leaving Las Vegas, which makes me a very happy person. Then I realize I can't read.

Leaving Las Vegas is the one with Nic Cage and Elizabeth Shue, right?

Everytime I see "Las Vegas" I think about how many road trips I made there and get sad that I now live 1,500 miles away.

Leaving Las Vegas > Honeymoon in Vegas > Feak and Loathing in Las Vegas.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Leaving Las Vegas is the one with Nic Cage and Elizabeth Shue, right?

Correct.

And everytime someone says Nic Cage is a bad actor I shove a copy of this film up their ass and spit on their shoe.

Though, out of nowhere, he did wind up on Adaptation, which I liked a lot. Then right back to schlock.

Have you seen Honeymoon in Vegas? I think he's fucking hilarious in that film. I just see films like that, or Raising Arizona, or as you mention, Leaving Las Vegas.....then see his latest fare, and it bums me out. Then again, if I don't like the roles he takes, I simply need to not see those films.

I liked Honeymoon in Vegas and Raising Arizona, not as much as everyone else, but they were enjoyable. I absolutely loved the pairing of him and Sam Rockwell in Matchstick Men.

I've been meaning to see Adaptation. It's somewhere near the bottom of my gargantuan netflix queue.

Matchstick Men was also another great recent Cage performance.

edit: damn, Limpy beat me to that one.

Matchstick Men disappointed me. He was good, though, agreed Lance, but the film itself just never did it for me. Rockwell, yeah, I like that dude a lot.

Is there any other Cage film released recently, or semi-recently, that was a good movie? Anything I'm forgetting, outside of Matchstick Men and Adaptation?

He had a hilarious cameo in one of the Grindhouse trailers and I've heard The Weather Man is actually kind of good.

Call me crazy, but I kind of liked National Treasure.

630512762X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You know you want it.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Nice, what's your #3? And what did you think of Fear & Loathing?

That would be Warren Beatty's Reds, from 1981 (newly available on DVD in a fantasic 2-disc edition!). Beatty, Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Paul Sorvino, etc. Fucking epic.

Rounding out the 5 are The English Patient and Once Upon a Time in America.

I'm a pretty big Gilliam Fan, though Fear and Loathing is, to me, not one of his better films. I like the idea of the film, and the execution of the adaptation is about as good as one could expect, but it's a mess. As I guess it should be. But it's a difficult film to watch.

The Weather Man was pretty bad, but I'm a Cage fan so I sat through it. Same goes for National Treasure, though I absolutely refuge to see its sequel...and Ghost Rider...and Next, etx.

Lord of War was a good movie.

lazarus said:

That would be Warren Beatty's Reds, from 1981 (newly available on DVD in a fantasic 2-disc edition!). Beatty, Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Paul Sorvino, etc. Fucking epic.

Rounding out the 5 are The English Patient and Once Upon a Time in America.

I'm a pretty big Gilliam Fan, though Fear and Loathing is, to me, not one of his better films. I like the idea of the film, and the execution of the adaptation is about as good as one could expect, but it's a mess. As I guess it should be. But it's a difficult film to watch.

I met Terry Gilliam at a screening of "Brazil" at LACMA a few years ago. I rarely, if ever, approach celebrities, but he actually sat behind me before the film started, so I turned around and spoke to him for a few before the film started. Odd to have a director of a film sitting behind you as you watch that film. I should have asked him if he thought he'd enjoy Nic Cage playing the title character in an adaptation of the comic "Ghost Rider".

That's cool. :up:

I was considering a Brazil / Fisher King / Fear and Loathing threesome, but seems like too much Gilliam, even if they all turn out to be stellar films. 12 Monkeys is in my Top 100 though.

Nicholas Cage: Face/Off totally pwns, though strangely I thought Travolta did a better job impersonating Cage than the other way around. Loved him in Matchstick Men and Honeymoon in Vegas (extremely underrated. "Get your ticket and MOVE ON!" "What are you gonna do? You gonna put me in AIRPORT JAIL?")

Lance: No comment on Apocalypse aside from a simple Original > Redux remark? I'd love to hear your reasoning.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I was considering a Brazil / Fisher King / Fear and Loathing threesome, but seems like too much Gilliam, even if they all turn out to be stellar films. 12 Monkeys is in my Top 100 though.

Watch Time Bandits.

"Benson...sweet Benson....so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence"

LemonMacPhisto said:

12 Monkeys is WAY high on my all-time list. You really need to see it again after watching Vertigo, which is playing in the old theatre Willis & Stowe go into, and the two films have much in common. You'll love it even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom