Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious how Craig (dare I say it the first Bond that can, you know, act?) will do once Q and the gadgets come back and the movies will look more Bond-ish and not as much will rely on his tough performance and the action scenes.

U2girl said:

I've read comments that the Bourne movies inspired the change in Bond. Anyone agree ? It's not like Craig is the first tough Bond - what about Timothy Dalton ?

This is true, but I think Craig's the first to match the toughness and coolness of Bond accurately. Sean Connery's still my favorite, but I think of him bagging Pussy Galore over any action scene, you know?

Interesting stuff about Hitchcock, one of my favorite things about Rear Window was the fact that it was on such a controlled location as I probably said earlier.

And NSFW, yeah, if I can't watch a movie more than once, I rate it low. Whether it be something like Schindler's List or even Zoolander, if it's not worth a second viewing, what's the point?

I have a question for the experts on Bond: are the following things I read on the internet elsewhere true ?

- Ian Fleming initially disliked Connery, but later turned out so impressed he gave Bond a partial Scottish origin. (I know Bond has some Scottish origins from that Lazenby Bond movie, but I never knew Connery inspired that bit)

- Ian Fleming preferred Moore over Connery. (really?)

- Dalton/Craig is the actor that got the closest to the book version of Bond. (which is it?)

No spoken words said:
Lazarus - apropo of nothing, are you a David Lynch fan?

Partially. I think his best films are The Elephant Man & Mulholland Dr. I enjoyed Twin Peaks: The Series, but thought the film was a piece of crap. I thought Lost Highway was one of the biggest wank-offs I've ever seen in my life.

Have yet to see Inland Empire but am worried it's more of the same.

The guy's immensely talented but has the tendency to disappear up his own asshole, and what's worse are the legions of fans who think they actually have explanations for what are likely often his masturbatory fantasies that have no point (like Lost Highway).

The short film prelude to Wes Anderson's new flick The Darjeeling Limited, Hotel Chevalier, is up for free on iTunes if you guys are interested.

I'm diggin' it so far.

Just watched it.

Very pretty, and very Anderson-esque if a bit meaningless. Though I'm sure it will carry a lot more weight once I've seen Darjeeling.

lazarus said:

Partially. I think his best films are The Elephant Man & Mulholland Dr. I enjoyed Twin Peaks: The Series, but thought the film was a piece of crap. I thought Lost Highway was one of the biggest wank-offs I've ever seen in my life.

Have yet to see Inland Empire but am worried it's more of the same.

The guy's immensely talented but has the tendency to disappear up his own asshole, and what's worse are the legions of fans who think they actually have explanations for what are likely often his masturbatory fantasies that have no point (like Lost Highway).

Did you see The Straight Story?

It played for free on the Fox lot back when I worked there, so I saw it and enjoyed it. Hard to believe it was a Lynch film. My favorite Lynch film is Mullholland Drive, but I have a strong affinity for the mess that is Dune. It's a movie that I know is bad, but still is hypnotic to me. My love of the book(s) helps, I'm sure. Very much enjoyed the Twin Peaks TV series, especially season 1.

Eraserhead looks like the craziest shit ever, yet I'm still interested in it because of its influence on my fave Coen Bros. movie, Barton Fink.

So how about "There Will Be Blood" getting some of the most rave early reviews I've ever seen a film get?

Pretty badazz if you ask me.

I've been gradually getting more excited for that.

One movie experiment I did was watch the original Psycho back-to-back with Psycho '98 and compared the two. Surprisingly, the '90s one was not too terrible, save for 3 miscastings (Heche, Moore, and Vaughn) and weird interspersed shots during the shower and Arbogast murder sequences. I can see why so many dislike the '90s one, but I totally loved how much the color and different lighting added to the environment and creepiness of the film; it created a different experience while still feeling the same, which is almost an oxymoron.

Re-cast these parts like this:
Norman Bates - Ralph Fiennes
Marion Crane - Naomi Watts
Lila Crane - Charlize Theron / Michelle Pfieffer

and the remake is 10x better. Every other actor in the remake I felt was better than the originals, but they got the three most important roles wrong, which helped kill this movie.

Last edited:
No matter what the film is I'm always a little skeptical of glowing reviews for hyped films these days. There's been so many times when the DVD release gets knocked down a couple of stars by a sheepish reviewer going 'um, well it's not all that really, is it?' Matrix Reloaded and The Phantom Menace being prime examples.

But it being PT Anderson I'm still optimistic.

I haven't seen the remake of Psycho. Besides the apparent miscasting the main issue I have with it is, why bother? At least most remakes update the previous film for modern dialogue, characters and violence, I just don't get why a hot-for-shot remake was deemed necessary.

I know I haven't seen it and can't criticise too much, but I'm more than happy with Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh and black and white. And Hitch.

It's an interesting experiment. Though it's nowhere close to being as good as the original, I don't think I've heard of a shot-for-shot remake before or since.

Has anyone else seen it? And if so, do you agree that the colorization added to the experience? I'm not a Ted Turner who wants everything in color, but it was cool to see essentially the same movie told from a different perspective.

The original Psycho is grossly overrated anyway, and I had no interest in seeing a remake either.

You take the shower scene out of the film, and you have NOTHING. The ending is stupid, too. By contrast, if you took the cropdusting scene out of North By Northwest, you'd still have a damned good mistaken identity thriller/comedy.

Hitchcock films better than Psycho (not in preferential order):

Vertigo
Rear Window
Shadow of a Doubt
The 39 Steps
Notorious
Strangers on a Train
North by Northwest
Under Capricorn
Marnie
The Birds

Arguably as good if not better:

To Catch a Thief
Dial M For Murder
The Man Who Knew Too Much '65
Saboteur
Foreign Correspondent
Suspicion
Rebecca

I've not seen nearly enough Hitchcock films.

I own North by Northwest, just bought Strangers on a Train...have seen Vertigo, Rear Windown, The Birds and Psycho.....and that's it...and that's not getting it done.

So, my BIG THREE films of September have finally reached the great city of D.C. this weekend.

Between Friday and Saturday I will be seeing "Lust, Caution", "The Darjeeling Limited", and "The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford".

And, if my ass is up to the challange, I might even pull a triple-feature Friday afternoon->night.

Either way, this is going to be a glorious weekend.

The only thing really stopping me from committing to the triple-feature is the fact that two of those films are upwards of 160 minutes long. Yikes.

On the other hand, If I did pull it off, and all three films turn out to be great, it would easily be the single greatest movie-going day of my life. :drool: And that just might be worth the risk.

Nice.

I had NHS (National Honors Society) Inductions today and invited my TV Production teacher to be my Honors Teacher. She gave me a 10 dollar theater gift card... which helps prove why she's the bomb.

She paid for my Wes Anderson Droolfest.

So today this girl went up to give a presentation in my History of Rock Music class.

May I be struck by lightning if she didn't look, talk and carry herself like Zooey. :drool: I think I'm in love.

Lance you didn't even comment on my Tin Man thread. Have you nothing to say about Zooey as Dorothy in a new Wizard of Oz adaptation?!

And if you could snap a pic of that girl in your class I'd love to give you my thoughts on the matter.

I've had to look up this Zooey girl as I've not been aware of her in anything outside of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

She's rather tasty.

lazarus said:
And if you could snap a pic of that girl in your class I'd love to give you my thoughts on the matter.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that might be crossing the line of appropriate behavior.

However, it is now my mission to make contact and start my campaign of sexiness.

As for the Wizard of Oz thing, I hadn't read your thread. I shall proceed to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom