Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMacPhisto said:

I'll watch it in conjuction with my Malick-athon.

The New Marathon List:
1. PT-athon
2. Scorces-athon.
3. Mann-athon
4. Malick-athon
4a. "All the Real Girls"

It'd be a good thing to watch with the Malick-athon as the lead-in. But, fuck, please watch most of these on a bigger screen.

No spoken words said:

It'd be a good thing to watch with the Malick-athon as the lead-in. But, fuck, please watch most of these on a bigger screen.

Yeah, I'm gonna make a big push for them on the regular-sized screen.

elevation2u said:
Malick, one of my very favorite directors
the bigger the screen the better
:up:

His only R flick is Thin Red Line, so I can swing it.

Why did he take a 20 year break between Days of Heaven and Thin Red Line?

Also, can someone explain the strike about to happen in '08 to me and why it's affecting production, please? I've heard much about it, but don't have a good idea of what it's about.

Lancemc said:

The Insider will own your soul.

"Does he go on television and tell the truth? Yes. Is it newsworthy? Yes. Are we going to air it? Of course not. Why, because he's not telling the truth? No, because he is telling the truth. That's why we're not going to air it. And the more truth he tells, the worse it gets."

"Are you a businessman, or are you a NEWSman?"

Pacino + Mann = Honey-glazed ham. Over the top but great to watch.

I'm totally shocked--Eastern Promises is actually going to be playing at the multiplex near the place I'm staying. I didn't think it would be in any mainstream theatres.

It will probably still bomb, but at least I'll get to see it.

Gratuitous Star Wars reference for Lance: Aside from the "Greedo Shoots First" debacle, the Special Editions are actually practical improvements on the theatrical cuts--discuss.

lazarus said:

Gratuitous Star Wars reference for Lance: Aside from the "Greedo Shoots First" debacle, the Special Editions are actually practical improvements on the theatrical cuts--discuss.

Can I give you a hug please?

I've been saying that ever since they were released. Sure some of the changes are completely uncalled for, but why would I choose to watch the original versions when I have new completely remastered DVD transfers with amazing digital 5.1 audio and cleaned up SFX? Whhyyyy???

lazarus said:

You're kidding me right? I'll give you the added effects and incredible job they did cleaning up and re-mastering the original prints but that’s as far as I will go for the Special Editions...

Lucas seems to have this obsession with cramming as much CG crap into shots as possible. The scenes in Mos Isely are a good example; do I really need to see cute little creatures and jawas running around everywhere making stupid little noises? No.

As for the added scenes, they don't really add anything to the story, this is from memory, so forgive me if I forget any:

-The added sequence with Han and Jabba in SW - pointless since its the same dialogue he uses with Greedo

-The added sequence with Biggs before the final battle in SW – this is one of the only scenes which I think may work since it fleshes out back-story and it makes you care a little more about Biggs

-The added sequence with Darth Vader leaving his command ship at the end of ESB – completely pointless, it had no bearing on anything

-The added music number in Jabba’s Palace in ROTJ – absolutely terrible, I was cringing in my seat in the theater and I skip it every time I watch it on DVD

-The added celebration shots at the end of ROTJ – I liked this sequence slightly better than the original and the music was better but then he went and ruined it IMO buy putting Hayden Christensen in as Anakin. Why he did this baffles my mind, why not edit out Alec Guinness then with Ewan McGregor?

elevated_u2_fan said:

-The added music number in Jabba’s Palace in ROTJ – absolutely terrible, I was cringing in my seat in the theater and I skip it every time I watch it on DVD

Agreed. This is a terrible scene. Gives me nightmares.

-The added celebration shots at the end of ROTJ – I liked this sequence slightly better than the original and the music was better but then he went and ruined it IMO buy putting Hayden Christensen in as Anakin. Why he did this baffles my mind, why not edit out Alec Guinness then with Ewan McGregor?

Because Alec Guinness appears as Alex Guinness in all three Star Wars films, while we practically never see that dude playing Darth Vader aside from one short shot? I honestly don't give two craps about this one. It adds a bit more vidual continuity, but really doesn't change anything one way or another.

No one's mentioned the fact the scene in which Vader talks to The Emperor in ESB was altered to replace the original emperor with Ian McDiarmid...it makes sense in the context of all six films, but one could argue that the original female-voiced emperor was creepier.

namkcuR said:
No one's mentioned the fact the scene in which Vader talks to The Emperor in ESB was altered to replace the original emperor with Ian McDiarmid...it makes sense in the context of all six films, but one could argue that the original female-voiced emperor was creepier.

I agree...

This goes with the Anakin substitution imo, I like the movie the way it is George, don't fuck with my childhood memories.

The Jabba's Palace musical scene was god-awful to begin with. It became even worse in the Special Editions, but the moment they thought a BLUE ELEPHANT was a cool idea for an alien, it was already worthless.

The Jabba scene doesn't add anything, but as he's referenced throughout A New Hope and Empire, it makes sense to have him in there. It's a push, for me.

I can't explain the Vader's ship thing landing either, unless it was to show people that he was not on the Star Destroyer and not still on Cloud City. I knew what was going on when I was a kid, so who knows what morons this is supposed to be for.

I can't believe even the most die-hard traditionalist wouldn't be in favor of putting McDiarmid in Empire. It makes NO sense for the guy to play him in three films BEFORE Empire and one film after Empire and not be the same guy. It looks so much better and uniform now, and I thought the change of dialogue was a nice touch.

I think the Ewoks are crap, so changing the celebration at the end is fine with me. While the new Williams music is a little new agey, it's a much more dignified end to the saga than the fucking Yub Yub song. Also, showing the reaction on different worlds is appropriate considering the scope of the whole thing. As for the replacing of Anakin's ghost with the image of Hayden, it's pretty obvious to me. This is meant to be a 6 film saga now, and if it's about the rise and fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker, it makes more emotional sense to have him at the end instead of some old guy who's barely recognizable as the guy under Vader's mask to begin with. He didn't have any lines as a ghost, so it's not like they robbed the actor of anything; he still has a nicely played death scene with Luke. But if you consider that Anakin lost his soul when he went over to the dark side, it makes sense that in death he is returned back to the way he was when he was still good. I think it's going to mean a lot more to future generations who watch this thing. But hey, why think like that when you can selfishly act like the films were all made for you and your generation only? Part of Lucas' gift is crafting a story and characters that are timeless and universal, which is why in 20 years no one's going to give a shit about The Matrix and its whole leather trenchcoat and sunglasses fashion bullshit.

Last, the things that are most important to me are the Biggs scene (there's still more material that wasn't put back in, damnit!) and the fleshing out of Mos Eisley and Cloud City. I agree with you, Elevated, that there is too much digital clutter in those scenes, like the Jawa swinging from the Bantha, but I can live with that when I get to see something as sprawling as it was originally imagined by Lucas, and described by Obi-Wan. The Falcon's approach to Cloud City is awesome, and makes the location worthy of what's in the prequels, plus making the walls transparent during the later scenes so you could see the city outside really makes it more legitimate.

I must be the only person on the planet who actually likes these little guys.

ewoks.JPG

You'd think not being a fucking moron would be a pre-requisite for hosting The View. I mean, I know being funny isn't (Whoopi Goldberg), and I know Hasselbeck's a deluded right-winger, but at least those two don't come off like they're oblivious to the world around them.

Forget about the "world is flat" thing, which is admittedly scary, but I can't believe someone in this day and age can't face the facts about evolution. You want to fit it in somehow with your biblical fantasy, fine. But at least acknowledge it's there.

I wonder if this world would be a better place if people took all the time they spent going to church or reading the bible (not to mention watching inane talk shows like The View) and used it to find out a little more about the larger society and civilization they're living in. Through knowledge comes tolerance, understanding, and yes, even enlightenment.

She's also likely unaware of the Force that surrounds all of us and binds us together. Sorry, just had to sneak it in there.

Even better is in the longer version of the video where she talks about evolution. She doesn't "believe in evolution, period." Glorious.

edit: Missed your post somehow, laz. Yeah, she's a dumbass.

Last edited:
lazarus said:
I can't believe even the most die-hard traditionalist wouldn't be in favor of putting McDiarmid in Empire. It makes NO sense for the guy to play him in three films BEFORE Empire and one film after Empire and not be the same guy. It looks so much better and uniform now, and I thought the change of dialogue was a nice touch.

I was just saying that there is a certain charm to the original Emperor. A certain visceral creepiness that McDiarmid doesn't quite capture. But McDiarmid gives the emperor a persona that is equally creepy, but in a distinctly different way...that is you have to think more about the character and what he is saying in order to be creeped out by McDiarmid's Emperor..with the original, you saw him, and you thought, 'shit, that's creepy.' But all in all, the insertion of McDiarmid into ESB doesn't bother me as much as the insertion of the new dialog. The 'No! I am your father!' scene was/is one of the great 'surprises' in cinema, and the newly inserted dialog blows that surprise from our perspective an hour before we're supposed to know. Future generations will be deprived of that shock.

Originally posted by lazarus
Also, showing the reaction on different worlds is appropriate considering the scope of the whole thing.

I suppose this is a minor gripe, but in the sequence you're referring to, the people on Tatooine are celebrating. The thing is, Tatooine was never part of the galactic empire. The overthrow of the emperor and his regime shouldn't mean so much to the people of Tatooine. It's not that big a deal, but it's just a little inconsistancy that can cause small amounts of annoyance.

lazarus said:
Ewok idea: Not that bad

Ewok execution: Very bad.

At least Jar Jar wasn't made to look cute and cuddly.

Exactly.

It was that imbalance in the cross-cutting of cutesy comedy on Endor and real emotional / visceral action in space and between Luke, Vader, and Palpy that stands out for me.

And how fast did the Ewoks build those fucking traps?

Ackbar wouldn't have even had time to say they were traps they were built so fast.

namkcuR said:

I was just saying that there is a certain charm to the original Emperor. A certain visceral creepiness that McDiarmid doesn't quite capture. But McDiarmid gives the emperor a persona that is equally creepy, but in a distinctly different way...that is you have to think more about the character and what he is saying in order to be creeped out by McDiarmid's Emperor..with the original, you saw him, and you thought, 'shit, that's creepy.' But all in all, the insertion of McDiarmid into ESB doesn't bother me as much as the insertion of the new dialog. The 'No! I am your father!' scene was/is one of the great 'surprises' in cinema, and the newly inserted dialog blows that surprise from our perspective an hour before we're supposed to know. Future generations will be deprived of that shock.

I suppose this is a minor gripe, but in the sequence you're referring to, the people on Tatooine are celebrating. The thing is, Tatooine was never part of the galactic empire. The overthrow of the emperor and his regime shouldn't mean so much to the people of Tatooine. It's not that big a deal, but it's just a little inconsistancy that can cause small amounts of annoyance.

If it's viewed as a 6 film saga, you already know Vader is Luke's father, so the changes do make plenty of sense.

I could've gone without the "WESA FREEEE" on Naboo though... that was fucking terrible.

LemonMacPhisto said:
If it's viewed as a 6 film saga, you already know Vader is Luke's father, so the changes do make plenty of sense.

Not neccessarily...there are alternate watching orders that some have suggested....for example...

Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
The Phantom Menace
Attack Of The Clones
Revege Of The Sith
Return Of The Jedi

If you showed it to your kid in this order...they'd start with the OT, get up to the point of the big reveal, then get to see the whole backstory, then the big redemption/finale.

I've read stuff like this lots of times, where people think a different viewing order could maximize the impact of the story.

The point is, it's not inconceivable that the new dialog could ruin the surprise even in the context of the six-film saga.

Well, in addition to what you're saying about watching the films in numerical order and already being spoiled, The Emperor doesn't really spoil anything. What he actually says is "The son of Skywalker must not be allowed to become a Jedi" or something like that. He doesn't say "your son". We already know that Luke's father was a hero of the Clone Wars, so it's not strange that Palpatine would consider him a threat.

Has anyone heard about some of the suggested viewing order for Star Wars virgins? Some have suggested watching 1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 7 to preserve the Anakin spoiler, but also keep the happy ending.

The one thing you are robbed of by watching any of the prequels first is Yoda's identity. I loved the reveal in Empire when he changed immediately from bumbing troll to wise sage. Great, great work by Frank Oz, as usual.

I know it seems like I use LOTR as a whipping boy when defending Star Wars, but I'm actually a huge fan of Jackson's trilogy. What I would like to suggest, however, is that Frank Oz's work with digital Yoda is as impressive as anything Andy Serkis did for Gollum. And he also didn't have the benefit of motion capture. Of course much of the credit goes to ILM for the ever increasing humanness of Yoda, but Oz sells it with his voice. He didn't really stand out in The Phantom Menace or Clones (aside from kicking some major ass in the fight scene), but got they brought it on Sith. When he escapes the fight with Palpatine and it sitting in the speeder with Bail Organa, the way he brushes his hair back, the look on his face, and the cracking of his voice as he admits his failure is absolutely heartbreaking.

I hear that Ugly-ass Puppet Yoda from Phantom Menace (why not use the Empire puppet, at least that one was badass) is going to be replaced by Digital Yoda.

Off the topic of Star Wars, we need to all drool over this movie:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TEIRAXxQNKY

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom