Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

WHO IS YO' DADDY, AND WHAT DOES HE DO?!

IT'S NOT A TUMOR!

Any movie with Arnold screaming at 5-year-olds and owning a pet ferret is worth seeing at least once or a dozen times.

I was just reading a discussion on IMDB under the Abyss forums, where people were debating the level of realism regarding the science of water pressure portrayed in the film.

It was one of the nerdiest/most enthralling/scariest things I've ever read on there. There were a handful of really intelligent people who came together, worked out their differences, and nailed down a solid conclusion. Then one retard comes in, says "You guyz are dumb, so is the movie, if you go that deep u r crushed", and the retards start arguing all over again, despite it being perfectly explained just ONE post earlier.

God damn, I love IMDB sometimes.

I still think The Abyss is Cameron's best film by far. Too bad the characters in Titanic weren't written as well as they were in that; it may have been an actual great film.

And I think T2 is one of the most overrated films ever, and isn't even close to the original. Making Arnie the hero and adding a kid? A choice on par with Shortround or the Ewoks.

Discuss.

I'd rather not. T2 is possibly my favorite filim of all time, and I'm far too tired to get into a debate about it right now. :wink:

I do think The Abyss is the "quintessential" Cameron film though, since it's the one work he's done to date that best showcases all his talents and passions in one film.

And I totally agree with you about Titanic.

I haven't seen Good Luck Chuck, but I am offended by it merely on the premise that Jessica Alba would ever have a hard time getting a boyfriend. Prime example of a miscast that totally destroys any chance a film had of being decent.

Meh.

Lancemc said:
I'd rather not. T2 is possibly my favorite filim of all time, and I'm far too tired to get into a debate about it right now. :wink:

I do think The Abyss is the "quintessential" Cameron film though, since it's the one work he's done to date that best showcases all his talents and passions in one film.

And I totally agree with you about Titanic.

Definitely.

T2 has some of the best action set pieces I have seen in any movie, including my favorite post-Bullitt car chase.

lazarus said:
I still think The Abyss is Cameron's best film by far. Too bad the characters in Titanic weren't written as well as they were in that; it may have been an actual great film.

And I think T2 is one of the most overrated films ever, and isn't even close to the original. Making Arnie the hero and adding a kid? A choice on par with Shortround or the Ewoks.

Discuss.

Agreed.

I'm not a T2 fan at all, cannot for the life of me understand its appeal.

I enjoyed the Abyss, however.

namkcuR said:
I haven't seen Good Luck Chuck, but I am offended by it merely on the premise that Jessica Alba would ever have a hard time getting a boyfriend. Prime example of a miscast that totally destroys any chance a film had of being decent.

Meh.

I agree with all of this, I would also like to know what a complete ass-clown like Dane Cook did in a previous life to get all these roles in movies with hot chicks...

I'm thinking some sort of pact with the devil possibly? :hmm:

Dane Cook is annoying and painfully unfunny. His fifteen minutes can be up any time now. Really. PLEASE.

Is the extended cut of The Abyss better than the theatrical a la the Aliens Special Edition?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Is the extended cut of The Abyss better than the theatrical a la the Aliens Special Edition?

The extended cut of The Abyss is in fact better than the Theatrical cut.

However, I do believe it's the only Cameron "special edition" that's better than the theatrical versions.

I really love the Aliens extended cut, mainly for the little bits added in the Ripley/Newt relationship and the Hadley's Hope footage... but I can see why people wouldn't like it that much.

Aliens is still my favorite Cameron flick. True Lies is enjoyable, too, it warrants some mention.

Just watched Aliens again the other night. Never loses its edge. I think the majority of the added scenes really bog down the film in needless exposition. The scene about Ripley's daughter makes sense, but I like it better how in the theaterical version, Cameron leaves that exposition up to be inferred from the first conversation Ripley has with Burke.

True Lies is campy deliciousness that I haven't seen in a long time. It's time again.

And the T-1000 is going to murder all you T2-haters, take on your appearance, and then procede to brutally kill you familes. That is all.

Lancemc said:
Just watched Aliens again the other night. Never loses its edge. I think the majority of the added scenes really bog down the film in needless exposition. The scene about Ripley's daughter makes sense, but I like it better how in the theaterical version, Cameron leaves that exposition up to be inferred from the first conversation Ripley has with Burke.

You gotta admit the sentry guns are badass though. It adds another layer of believability to them surviving that long with that many aliens in the compound.

Other than the Ripley/Newt story, the way Bishop is handled is perfect.

I think it's all an issue of Exposition vs. Pacing when it comes to all those scenes. Personally, the benedit of the added material doesn't quite outweigh the problems it causes to the film's pacing.

I do enjoy watching the Special Edition though, no doubt. But the "Better" version, I'd have to say is the Theatrical. The Extended version of Terminator 2 is just god-awful though. And I'm still waiting for a propper DVD release of that film. The Extreme Edition sucks my nuts.

T2 on a real high-def transfer will be mind-blowing.

The pacing of almost every movie is hurt by an extended edition, but the pros outweigh the cons for me with Aliens.

I don't know, I felt all three Lord of the Rings films benefitted from their added material, especially Fellowship. I can't imagine watching any of the theatrical versions ever again.

I guess because it's a three-film saga, pacing isn't as much of an issue, but if it looks like you're rushing from scene to scene, that's bad pacing also.

For me, if I love a film, more of it is rarely a bad thing. Of course, most Donnie Darko fans appear to not be supporters of that Director's Cut.

Yeah, the LOTR movies are one of those exceptions. Apparently the Donnie Darko Director's Cut completely changes some parts of the movie? I still need to check that one out.

This really sweet prodcast The Hollywood Saloon has an excellent show detailing Director's Cuts on iTunes that you guys might be interested in.

Another superior Director's Cut: Blade Runner. It gets rid of that awful, awful narration.

I loved the LOTR trilogy and thought that the extended versions only made them better. Like Lazarus, I cannot imagine watching anything but those extended versions. These were not deleted scenes, per se, just scenes cut for time.

I loves me some Blade Runner.

The LOTR films are bloated to begin with...the director's cuts are difficult to watch in one sitting...it gets to be like 4+ hours for each one.

Almost every Ridley Scott flick has a Director's Cut and Theatrical Cut; he's probably the biggest supporter for them, moreso than George "I'll add Hayden Christensen at the end of fucking Return of the Jedi" Lucas.

namkcuR said:
The LOTR films are bloated to begin with...the director's cuts are difficult to watch in one sitting...it gets to be like 4+ hours for each one.

Difficult for you, a pleasure for me. I love them and consider them anything but bloated.

I feel badly that Hayden Christensen will forever be associated only with the Star Wars prequels. His performances in those two films was obviously not great(although whoever wrote the dialog has to take some of the responsibility). He's done other films where he's shown some real chops - 'Life As A House' is a prime example - but no one's ever going to think of them when they think of him.

That's a good point, and I try to forget that Natalie Portman was even in the prequels, she was just godawful.

George Lucas should not be allowed to direct motion pictures.

Can't we pass a bill through Congress or something?

When did he make the horrible leap from talented visionary to money-grubbing no-talent?

It had to to have been sometime between Empire and Jedi. Raiders perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom