Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lancemc said:

I don't exactly remember. :wink:

It's been over a year since I've seen it, but I do remember liking it quite a bit. Maybe it's time for a revisit. I do remember having some problem with the daughter character, though I don't remember what it was.

Was it the last 10 minutes, where the daughter is revealed to be not his daughter at all, but a conwoman herself? I remember thinking I could have done without that last ten minutes. Unneccessary twist. I felt that the film was about the transformation of the Cage character. I felt the climax was when he told the daughter that 'you didn't shoot him ok, I did'. The whole taking the fall for her thing. I thought the revelation that she wasn't his daughter sort of cheapened it.

I think Nic Cage is one of our most underappreciated actors. It's just a shame he picks such horrible roles sometimes, but the man often works with what his passions are, and he deserves a lot of credit for that. He's got some major acting chops. Just look at Adaptation, Matchstick Men, Lord of War, and Leaving Las Vegas (one of the most touching and haunting performances I've ever seen). He also does National Treaure, Con Air, Face/Off (which kicks ass, by the way) and The Rock and shit like that, but he's still a damn fine actor. I wish he'd flex him muscles a little more often though. I genuinely like him, though I see where the distaste comes from with certain people.

namkcuR said:

Was it the last 10 minutes, where the daughter is revealed to be not his daughter at all, but a conwoman herself? I remember thinking I could have done without that last ten minutes. Unneccessary twist. I felt that the film was about the transformation of the Cage character. I felt the climax was when he told the daughter that 'you didn't shoot him ok, I did'. The whole taking the fall for her thing. I thought the revelation that she wasn't his daughter sort of cheapened it.

That might have been it, though I do remember that twist. I kind of think it was one of those narritive devices that pretty much negates (or shallows the results of) the rest of the film, sort of like you said. (See The Usual Suspects for similar example)

Face/Off is a cool movie but one major part really cracks me up.

Nicolas Cage's face fit on John Travolta's big fucking head? Really? Maybe in 1977...

:lol:

"Face/Off. Wasn't that the Roy Horn biopic?"
-Bob Saget

Face/Off. When John Woo goes horribly, horribly wrong... and the results are pure bliss.

MI:2 was leagues worse than Face/Off. Face/Off had some mystic quality that made it ridiculously entertaining. MI:2 was just dreck.

Lancemc said:
I think Nic Cage is one of our most underappreciated actors. It's just a shame he picks such horrible roles sometimes, but the man often works with what his passions are, and he deserves a lot of credit for that. He's got some major acting chops. Just look at Adaptation, Matchstick Men, Lord of War, and Leaving Las Vegas (one of the most touching and haunting performances I've ever seen). He also does National Treaure, Con Air, Face/Off (which kicks ass, by the way) and The Rock and shit like that, but he's still a damn fine actor. I wish he'd flex him muscles a little more often though. I genuinely like him, though I see where the distaste comes from with certain people.

Yes, I think he pics bad roles sometimes. I haven't seen a lot of his work, because something about him is off-putting. I like National Treasure, but I can see where some people don't like it :shrug: And Face/Off was interesting. And of course Raising Arizona, and Valley Girl :wink: But I thought Leaving Las Vegas - totally overrated. I thought Sean Penn should have won for Dead Man Walking that year, or even Richard Dreyfus for Mr. Holland's Opus (also nominated: Hopkins for Nixon and Massimo Troisi for Il Postino).

If Sean Penn has 1/4 of the charisma on screen as Cage, I might consider that. But that's just me, of course. :wink:

:lol: I love the Tom Crooze skit.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again. I. Fucking. Love. Tom. Cruise.

I love Face/Off. It's one of my all-time favorite action flicks.

Fun-Fact: Joan Allen looks 10 years older in this film than she does in The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum, despite that fact that it was made 7 years before Supremacy and 10 years before Ultimatum. :wink:

My only problem with Tom Cruise is that most of his characters have the same arc:

- Starts off ridiculously over-confident / cocky
- There's at least one scene where he's completely insane (or in Cocktail's case, the entire movie)
- Some earth-shattering event happens that points him to a path of self-realization
- He changes for the better and everything is peachy

About 95% of his roles fall into that category, but I find myself watching him and his films; that must be part of his talent.

Last edited:
For some reason, I'm strangely fascinated by Tom. I think since he lost his mind, I've grown to like him even more, strangely. He's just so unique and charismatic, he chews up the scenery. His more eccentric roles are my favorite, though they're probably more realistic, given recent developments in his persona. :lol:

Random Note: I'm watching some film I've never seen before on HBO2. Some remarkably beautiful French woman just put a condom onto Christian Bale's johnson. Fascinating.

Respect. The cock.

Lancemc said:

Respect. The cock.

Cannot wait to see that one.

Christian Bale is easily one of my Top 10 Actors ever. The guy's a beast.

I fucking loved him in Empire of the Sun. He's about 12 years old, it's his film debut, and he carries the entire movie and fucking delivers.

Now that's class.

I do like some movies that Cruise has been in. I remember the first time I saw Jerry McGuire, and I wasn't so sure about it. But the more I'd seen it, the more I thought the movie was really really good. The story lines and how they intertwined, the acting. The only scene that stands out for me as being odd, is the speech Tom gives near the end before 'you complete me'.

Lancemc said:

What the hell are you talking about, sir?

Whatever image you had there after 'respect the cock'..it didn't show up. Just the little question mark that appears when a picture doesn't show up. It was a joke. A bad one, I guess. :wink:

namkcuR said:

Whatever image you had there after 'respect the cock'..it didn't show up. Just the little question mark that appears when a picture doesn't show up. It was a joke. A bad one, I guess. :wink:

Ah. Totally different picture.

But apparently the movie I'm watching is called Metroland. :shrug: It's got Christian Bale, Emily Watson and French women with bare breats. That's more than enough to keep me watching.

The description of Metroland on HBO: "Urging a bohemian existence, a former schoolmate disrupts a London couple's conventional lifestyle."

And yes, American Psycho is on after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom