Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lazarus said:
Lemon, your rule doesn't account for Sky Captain, which WAS a sci-film, and not very well-received. So it's invalid by what it includes and leaves out.

Fair enough, but it's still a terrible movie.

I should've kept my mouth shut about Jude Law. :lol:

Last edited:
I don't care for Jude Law (or Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Keanu Reeves, Brad Pitt among others..) but yet each actor has a handful of movies which I adore.

Midnight in the Garden ...
Road to Perdition
Closer
Gattaca

No spoken words said:
Thought I defended Law, too, especially Cold Mountain. Lazarus has me on ignore.

Cold Mountain, by the way, is an even better book. Charles Frazier. Check it out.

Sorry, NSW. Your additional support is duly noted.

Although I heard Frazier's book was boring as fuck.

What I am curious to know is how much of the screenplay, namely the dialogue, is from Minghella and not directly adapted. Because most of the beautiful language in The English Patient came from him, and not from Ondaatje's novel, which was poetic but had very little dialogue.

Ironically, adapted screenplay is one of the few Oscars The English Patient didn't win, though it was arguablly the award it deserved the most.

So who's going to see The Brave One this weekend? Normally I'd probably pass, but I'm a big Neil Jordan fan. I recently saw Breakfast on Pluto and was reminded what a great filmmaker he was.

Definitely not seeing The Brave One any time soon.

Too much else on the plate in coming weeks.

I'm likely seeing Eastern Promises tomorrow, and then hopefully Jesse James, Darjeeling, Lust Caution, Across The Universe, and maybe Resident Evil 3 (don't ask) in coming weeks.

Has anyone seen the trailer for the film adapation of The Kite Runner?

If it's anywhere near as great as the book I'll be a happy camper.

Darjeeling's coming soon. :drool:

I'd also still like to see Once and The King of Kong sooner or later too, as they're both playing at my local Landmark theater.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Has anyone seen the trailer for the film adapation of The Kite Runner?

If it's anywhere near as great as the book I'll be a happy camper.

I was kinda disappointed with it. It feels like they tried to make a feel-good American spin on it when it's anything BUT a book on the U.S.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-1Ivdc76nAY

Two friends...until war forced them apart!

Only...not.

But I'll reserve full judgment until I see the movie, even if they painted it differently just to snag people in.

lazarus said:

Sorry, NSW. Your additional support is duly noted.

Although I heard Frazier's book was boring as fuck.

What I am curious to know is how much of the screenplay, namely the dialogue, is from Minghella and not directly adapted. Because most of the beautiful language in The English Patient came from him, and not from Ondaatje's novel, which was poetic but had very little dialogue.

Ironically, adapted screenplay is one of the few Oscars The English Patient didn't win, though it was arguablly the award it deserved the most.

So who's going to see The Brave One this weekend? Normally I'd probably pass, but I'm a big Neil Jordan fan. I recently saw Breakfast on Pluto and was reminded what a great filmmaker he was.

I loved the book, but, my attention span is from another century, so maybe it's boring to today's reader. I don't know.

Re-watched Broadcast News last night. Love that film, and it's got one of my favorite lines of all-time in it...

Boss to an employee he just laid off:

"If there's ever anything I can do for you, you just let me know"

Laid off employee to boss:

"Well, I certainly hope you'll die soon"

PlaTheGreat said:

I was kinda disappointed with it. It feels like they tried to make a feel-good American spin on it when it's anything BUT a book on the U.S.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-1Ivdc76nAY

Two friends...until war forced them apart!

Only...not.

But I'll reserve full judgment until I see the movie, even if they painted it differently just to snag people in.

I was thinking the same thing, it's just a way to market it to the non-readers of the book.

Did Planet Terror have a much longer original cut? I knew Tarantino had shot something feature length but I was under the impression that Rodriguez kept his segment nearer to what was originally envisioned.

I think it got knocked around way too much by the critics (even those who liked Grindhouse overal), and while it may not have impressed as much as Death Proof on a cinematic level, it was a hell of a lot of fun, and I think it's easier to sit through on multiple viewings.

Planet Terror will be extended, but not by much I don't think. I also was reading that neither the Death Proof nor Planet Terror DVDs will have the in-movie trailers.

I guess it'll be saved for the SuperMegaDeLuxe Grindhouse DVD that'll inevitably come out next year.

just got back from the movies - Saw the trailer for American Gangster with Denzel Washington & Russell Crowe. Did anyone have interest in that one :hmm:

Of course. It's a Ridley Scott film. His work can be hit-or-miss but the man's a living God.

Lila64 said:
just got back from the movies - Saw the trailer for American Gangster with Denzel Washington & Russell Crowe. Did anyone have interest in that one :hmm:

There's no way I'm missing that.

Ridley Scott is hit or miss, but when he hits it's glorious.

Legend is probably his most underrated film.

Oh yes, Mr. GLADIATOR :drool:

and the only other one off the top of my head that I've seen was In My Shoes, which seems like an odd movie for him to direct...

Alien and Blade Runner alone make me want to worship his feet.

I don't think he directed that movie you said though.

Ridley Scott is only hit-or-miss because he's got an unbelieveable ambition and artistic will, that when he gets set on a project, whether it's a great idea or not, he follows his instinct does it justice. Sometimes we get stuff like G.I. Jane or A Good Year, other times we get flawed works of art like Kingdom of Heaven or Matchstick Men, and then more often than not with Scott, the stars align and we get genre-defining works like Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator.

There's a reason the man's my 2nd or 3rd favorite director. Just look at what he's got on his plate. Body of Lies, Nottingham, and Blood Meridian. I expect all of them, American Gangster as well, to be at least damn fine works of a master director.

Lila64 said:
Oh yes, Mr. GLADIATOR :drool:

and the only other one off the top of my head that I've seen was In My Shoes, which seems like an odd movie for him to direct...

Scott only produced In Her Shoes.

Is the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven worth checking out?

Thelma & Louise is completely overrated though, maybe it's because I didn't like the super-feminism vibe or Susan Sarandon or Geena Davis, but I digress.

Lancemc said:

Scott only produced In Her Shoes.

Yes, I just noticed that. My bad. Again

I did see Hannibal and Thelma & Louise. I know I saw Blade Runner & Alien when they first came out. I was never a fan of the Alien series - not my cup o' tea :shrug: :reject:

namkcuR said:
What were Matchstick Men's flaws?

I love that film.

I didn't see it. Not really a fan of Nicholas Cage. Though I do enjoy Honeymoon In Vegas :up:

Actually, I was flipping channels last night after watching The Departed, and came across 8MM at about 3:45am. I only saw a little bit of it, as I was exhausted. I have no idea what happened after Phoenix dies and the other guy he pays money to to get a film made (I think). Is it worth watching the whole thing?

namkcuR said:
What were Matchstick Men's flaws?

I love that film.

I don't exactly remember. :wink:

It's been over a year since I've seen it, but I do remember liking it quite a bit. Maybe it's time for a revisit. I do remember having some problem with the daughter character, though I don't remember what it was.

Lila64 said:

I didn't see it. Not really a fan of Nicholas Cage. Though I do enjoy Honeymoon In Vegas :up:

Actually, I was flipping channels last night after watching The Departed, and came across 8MM at about 3:45am. I only saw a little bit of it, as I was exhausted. I have no idea what happened after Phoenix dies and the other guy he pays money to to get a film made (I think). Is it worth watching the whole thing?
\

8MM was a bizarre film. Haven't seen that one in a while either though. Probably worth watching one night, if you don't have anything else to do. It's extremely disturbing though, if you're put off by that sort of thing.

Lila64 said:

Me neither, he's at his best when he's playing odd, neurotic characters like in Matchstick Men.

Then there's Ghost Rider... which redefined film as we know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom