Interference Random Movie Talk - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #151
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Has there ever been a film-made-out-of-a-video-game that didn't suck?
As a fan of the games I'm biased but I really enjoyed Silent Hill. The plot wasn't all that and some of the performances were weak but the cinematography and the sets/makeup/effects were spot on.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33762

Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:48 AM
I actually work with someone that has never seen "Shawshank Redemption" or "The Natural".
Old 08-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #154
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:48 PM
I've never seen "The Natural."
Old 08-24-2007, 03:42 AM   #155
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:48 AM
Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

Random awesome news and trailers for discussion:

Ang Lee's "Lust, Caution" accepts an NC-17 rating!

I really can't believe both Lee and Focus Features accepted that rating. That's such a risky, and totally admirable move on their part. Not only is it a mandarin-language film realeased during Oscar-season, but not it's NC-17. Unless it gets a whole lot of Oscar buzz, this film could be in a bit of trouble, which is unfortunate, because I want to see this more than ever.

Reservation Road

I'm Not There (The Dylan flick)

The Assassination of Jesse James (This film looks absolutely GORGEOUS. Go see this. YOU MUST!)

American Gangster (New, awesome soundtrack)

Eastern Promises (Wasn't crazy about A History of Violence, but I'm still seeing this Day-One)

Enjoy.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #157
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:48 AM
I just watched Barton Fink as the first movie in my Coen Bros. Watch-a-thon and it was pretty good, but I don't understand it yet.

If you've seen it, what do you think?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:32 AM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

Barton Fink is one of my favorite Hollywood satires.

It's true classin Coen genius. It's hard to beat. Especially Torturo's turn as Fink. Friggen perfect.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:35 AM   #159
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Are the last 25-30 minutes some type of crazy fantasy?

I was reading about Barton Fink's influences and one of them was David Lynch's Eraserhead. Even the synopsis had me feeling nauseous.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #160
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Just finished Fargo. I was little disappointed, seeing as it's widely considered the Coen Bros.' best movie. William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi, and of course Frances McDormand were great, but I didn't like the story or pacing all that much.

I'll watch Miller's Crossing after I get back from Dinner.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

Shut the fuck up and love this:

Old 08-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #162
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Best. Poster. Ever.

Thanks for my new desktop.

Barton Fink is actually my favorite Coen Bros. film. If these guys weren't poking fun at their pretentious main character it would be easy to call the whole thing pretentious as all hell, but you have to remember it was inspired partially by the writer's block they were suffering while writing another screenplay.

From an artistic standpoint I think it's their high watermark, so many shots where I'm just like, Wow. It creates such a unique atmosphere, not an authentic Old Hollywood but a nightmarish version of it. Personally I find it creepier than Lynch because it's more grounded in something substantial. That hotel just gives me the willies thinking about it.

John Goodman gives the performance of his career, and I think he should have been nominated for an Oscar instead of Michael Lerner, who was great but a bit OTT. Turturro cuts such a bizarre figure and at first is unlikeable, but you grow to feel sympathetic, because after his initial mistake of selling out and working in Hollywood, he really does try to do the right thing and seek out the truth.

Although you could argue that at times he condescends to Goodman's character, the point is that he really doesn't "get" the working man he is trying to champion, and the whole experience is his trial by fire (shown literally at the end with the hell metaphor).

The final scene of this film is one continues to haunt me, and I can describe this without spoiling anything. "What's in the box?" "I don't know." "Isn't it yours?" "I don't know. You're very beautiful. Are you in pictures?" And that amazing grace note with the bird.

I think repeat viewings are required here, Lemon MacPhisto, not because they will spell anything out for you, but you'll certainly have an easier time forming your own interpretations after seeing it again.

BTW, this is the only film that has ever won Best Film, Director, and Actor at the Cannes Film Festival. That's no small honor.

I actually agree with Lemon about Fargo. I am a HUGE Coen Bros. fan and never thought it was as great as everyone said it was. Just because they toned down their style a little bit? Fuck that. I like them when they're shooting for the moon and going off the rails. Which is why I'm such a huge fan of the much-maligned Hudsucker Proxy. It probably helps to love 1930's screwball comedies, and to have seen His Girl Friday (Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance is a bit of a play on Rosalind Russell's character in that film), but I thought it was such a great take on the old fashioned feel-good Hollywood movie.

I don't know if we've already done this, but there should be a thread where we rank our Coen Bros films. We'll wait 'til your marathon is over maybe. At the top of your list should be The Man Who Wasn't There, another one of my favs.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #163
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Shut the fuck up and love this:

it's all in the reflexes.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #164
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Best. Poster. Ever.

Thanks for my new desktop.

Barton Fink is actually my favorite Coen Bros. film. If these guys weren't poking fun at their pretentious main character it would be easy to call the whole thing pretentious as all hell, but you have to remember it was inspired partially by the writer's block they were suffering while writing another screenplay.

From an artistic standpoint I think it's their high watermark, so many shots where I'm just like, Wow. It creates such a unique atmosphere, not an authentic Old Hollywood but a nightmarish version of it. Personally I find it creepier than Lynch because it's more grounded in something substantial. That hotel just gives me the willies thinking about it.

John Goodman gives the performance of his career, and I think he should have been nominated for an Oscar instead of Michael Lerner, who was great but a bit OTT. Turturro cuts such a bizarre figure and at first is unlikeable, but you grow to feel sympathetic, because after his initial mistake of selling out and working in Hollywood, he really does try to do the right thing and seek out the truth.

Although you could argue that at times he condescends to Goodman's character, the point is that he really doesn't "get" the working man he is trying to champion, and the whole experience is his trial by fire (shown literally at the end with the hell metaphor).

The final scene of this film is one continues to haunt me, and I can describe this without spoiling anything. "What's in the box?" "I don't know." "Isn't it yours?" "I don't know. You're very beautiful. Are you in pictures?" And that amazing grace note with the bird.

I think repeat viewings are required here, Lemon MacPhisto, not because they will spell anything out for you, but you'll certainly have an easier time forming your own interpretations after seeing it again.

BTW, this is the only film that has ever won Best Film, Director, and Actor at the Cannes Film Festival. That's no small honor.

I actually agree with Lemon about Fargo. I am a HUGE Coen Bros. fan and never thought it was as great as everyone said it was. Just because they toned down their style a little bit? Fuck that. I like them when they're shooting for the moon and going off the rails. Which is why I'm such a huge fan of the much-maligned Hudsucker Proxy. It probably helps to love 1930's screwball comedies, and to have seen His Girl Friday (Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance is a bit of a play on Rosalind Russell's character in that film), but I thought it was such a great take on the old fashioned feel-good Hollywood movie.

I don't know if we've already done this, but there should be a thread where we rank our Coen Bros films. We'll wait 'til your marathon is over maybe. At the top of your list should be The Man Who Wasn't There, another one of my favs.
Such a great post, glad someone's with me on Fargo. Other than Lebowski, Barton Fink's my fave Coen Bros. movie.

I have Miller's Crossing, Oh Brother Where Art Thou?, The Ladykillers, and The Man Who Wasn't There lined up on NetFlix. Should I add Blood Simple.?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #165
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:48 AM
I really have seen so few films. I realized that after reading this thread.