Intercourse, Pennsylvania Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame that most of the work Syd did after Piper was so patchy. Outside of Effervescing Elephant, Dominoes and Golden Hair, there isn't really all that much of his material that interests me. It's a bit of a disturbing glimpse into what Pink Floyd would have become if the other three didn't decide to push on without him.

Yeah, Effervescing Elephant is brilliance, but it's the only song on that album that I really want to hear again. Definitely makes one wonder just what would have happened to Pink Floyd if he'd stayed ...

It's a shame that most of the work Syd did after Piper was so patchy. Outside of Effervescing Elephant, Dominoes and Golden Hair, there isn't really all that much of his material that interests me. It's a bit of a disturbing glimpse into what Pink Floyd would have become if the other three didn't decide to push on without him.

I think Syd liked being in a band because it balanced him out. Once he lost Floyd I wonder if he just gave up on the idea that he could work with other people. I mean, if you can't work it out with people you've played with for a while - and I'm sure it's not easy to find guys like Water, Wright and Mason - how would he be able to go on with another group that didn't understand him at all. Plus, I think Waters [and maybe Gilmour :( ] were ambitious and figured Syd was just too loopy?

True, true. Don't talk to her much, though.

Do you have any of his albums?

No, I've heard some of his solo stuff, but I've never gotten an entire album of his. What I've heard is good, but not great. To me he has a Hendrix vibe to him - incredibly expressive, but not so great on handling all aspects of the process. Know what I mean?

The 14th here is the 13th where you are... when's your birthday?? :lol:

I'll be at work for much of my 14th, and thus not posting... but in the evening I'll probably be online. Which would probably be the morning of the 14th on your side of the planet...

*timezoneconfusion*
now i'm confused! :lol:

my birthday's on the 15th :wink:

No, I've heard some of his solo stuff, but I've never gotten an entire album of his. What I've heard is good, but not great. To me he has a Hendrix vibe to him - incredibly expressive, but not so great on handling all aspects of the process. Know what I mean?

I've got three of his albums and an EP. Shadows Collide with People is one of my favorite albums, and The Will to Death is consistent, though not all that impressive.

And I know exactly what you mean. I feel like he's yet to come up with a single song that definitely brings it all together.

There's a lot to compare between him and Hendrix, actually.

my friends have been to intercourse before...although i havent :D

theres also Virginville, PA

It's interesting, his philosophy on recording is that it's best to spend as little time in the studio as possible, so you don't out-think yourself when writing songs. I think maybe he should at least try spending more time, just to shake things up.

I've got three of his albums and an EP. Shadows Collide with People is one of my favorite albums, and The Will to Death is consistent, though not all that impressive.

And I know exactly what you mean. I feel like he's yet to come up with a single song that definitely brings it all together.

There's a lot to compare between him and Hendrix, actually.

Have you listened to Jane's Addiction yet? I notice a lack of homage to them in your writings. This makes me uneasy.

It's interesting, his philosophy on recording is that it's best to spend as little time in the studio as possible, so you don't out-think yourself when writing songs. I think maybe he should at least try spending more time, just to shake things up.

I think U2 should try this philosophy, though.

No, but give me a couple album names you think I'd dig, and I'll add it to my ever expanding list.

Ritual de lo Habitual is like art, while Nothing Shocking is just....beautiful. They both are, but in different ways. Stephen Perkins = best drummer ever. Shit's amazing. Might take a couple of listens, but they really are American's greatest band.

I think U2 should try this philosophy, though.

I kind of agree. One could argue they did this with Pop, but that was unintentional. I can see how a concerted effort to write and record quickly would be something new for them.

Wow, I was gone for like... 10 straight pages.

I was busy finding the ugliest things on a site of ugly slutty clothes, to snark on.

Like this:

blueskankyc1.jpg

It was in the DRESSES section :sick:

Ritual de lo Habitual is like art, while Nothing Shocking is just....beautiful. They both are, but in different ways. Stephen Perkins = best drummer ever. Shit's amazing. Might take a couple of listens, but they really are American's greatest band.

Cool, thanks. Any other recommendations? Clear holes in my musical studies?

Which one?

His first one.

I think Syd liked being in a band because it balanced him out. Once he lost Floyd I wonder if he just gave up on the idea that he could work with other people. I mean, if you can't work it out with people you've played with for a while - and I'm sure it's not easy to find guys like Water, Wright and Mason - how would he be able to go on with another group that didn't understand him at all. Plus, I think Waters [and maybe Gilmour :( ] were ambitious and figured Syd was just too loopy?

While that's probably true to a certain extent, I think the acid and the (possible) mental illness is what really affected him. If it was just a case of him working better with people he knew, Madcap should have been a better album than it actually is... Even with the help of Waters and Gilmour on the production team, it's missing the spark that Piper and the early singles had.

His first one.

Niandra LaDes and Usually Just a T-Shirt, which was written and recorded during his five year drug addiction. That album's a complete mess, as is his second, Smile from the Streets You Hold, which was also drug-induced. He doesn't find his stride until his fourth album, Shadows Collide with People, which I'd argue is his best.

Niandra LaDes and Usually Just a T-Shirt, which was written and recorded during his five year drug addiction. That album's a complete mess, as is his second, Smile from the Streets You Hold, which was also drug-induced. He doesn't find his stride until his fourth album, Shadows Collide with People, which I'd argue is his best.

Ah. That explains it. Maybe I'll try his fourth, then.

Holy crap, it's 4:15 AM! :lol: If I'm still awake by 4:30, The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking is going on immediately. (That album would probably be André's worst nightmare.)

Holy crap, it's 4:15 AM! :lol: If I'm still awake by 4:30, The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking is going on immediately. (That album would probably be André's worst nightmare.)

:laugh: It's very Wall/Final Cut-ish?

Ah. That explains it. Maybe I'll try his fourth, then.

His first two are experimental/avant-garde. His third was electronic, and then by his fourth he finally came back to rock. It's sort of pop rock, almost, very acoustic guitar based alternative rock.

Ok so I guess I'm not listening to QUad. yet. My little brother is very freaked out by not only the Heath Joker from commercials and riding the Dark Knight roller coaster at Six Flags, but also because he watched the 80s batman tonigth and apprarently just seeing the joker make up on Nicholson was enough to make him panicked. I tried to explain to him that mom thinks Jackie's cute, and I think Heath is cute, and there's nothing scary about either of them, but apparently Makeup speaks louder than words.

As soon as he's asleep, I'll listen to Quad, and tackle drink #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom