Intercourse, Pennsylvania Superthread - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #391
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 02:55 AM
Later.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #392
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
It was more like an argument over how much money I can get from scholarships and financial aid. My mother thinks plenty, and that I'm just not trying hard enough.
Ah, the good old money argument! I was lucky enough to get a full scholarship during my first year. Pity I went and royally fucked up. My father still hasn't let me forget about it, even though I'm now well within my faculty's top ten percentile. Apparently, failing one course is the end of the world and making it onto the Dean's List is worthy of nothing more than a pat on the back. Parents.

Night, André.
__________________

__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #393
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
It was more like an argument over how much money I can get from scholarships and financial aid. My mother thinks plenty, and that I'm just not trying hard enough.
Ah I love that one







As far as Batman is concerned. I don't see why people think it was anything but a Superhero movie. I didn't think it went above and beyond all other films of that genre. It was good no doubt. But man if they had cut the last 40 minutes for a sequel. I am sooooooo beyond pissed about the ending, but I believe ElMel hasn't seen it yet so I will not say anything, unless he doesn't mind if I just write it in blue font.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #394
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 03:55 AM
My parents aren't paying for any of my college education, making this a bit difficult.

Also, my father makes a good salary, which means need-based aid is out the window.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #395
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
As far as Batman is concerned. I don't see why people think it was anything but a Superhero movie. I didn't think it went above and beyond all other films of that genre. It was good no doubt. But man if they had cut the last 40 minutes for a sequel. I am sooooooo beyond pissed about the ending, but I believe ElMel hasn't seen it yet so I will not say anything, unless he doesn't mind if I just write it in blue font.
Here's what I don't understand: it's perfectly fine for you to think it's not more than superhero film (though I disagree), but why you can't understand other people liking it perplexes me. I mean, you even said, you think dramedies deserve more credit. A lot of people think good acting and a good plot in an action film deserve more credit. You don't have to agree, but you should at least understand it.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #396
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
My parents aren't paying for any of my college education, making this a bit difficult.

Also, my father makes a good salary, which means need-based aid is out the window.
Wow... What are the tuition rates like at the college you want to go to?
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #397
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 03:55 AM
I don't know where I want to go yet, but Penn State, for example, is 12,000 plus 11,000 for room and board.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #398
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Here's what I don't understand: it's perfectly fine for you to think it's not more than superhero film (though I disagree), but why you can't understand other people liking it perplexes me. I mean, you even said, you think dramedies deserve more credit. A lot of people think good acting and a good plot in an action film deserve more credit. You don't have to agree, but you should at least understand it.
I'm saying things in a manner that isn't exactly making sense. I understand that other people thought the movie was a lot deeper than I did. And I understand that people put a lot more stake in action films. To be fair, I think i'm the polar opposite of people who suddenly think everything an actor does after death is brilliant, and that's not fair either. I think I'm having a hard time allowing myself to look at the film and ignore the fact that it was Ledger's last full one.

I'm not meaning to be so mean about it. There's just, only one thing about Batman that I've always liked since I was a little kid, so ElMel don't look:

As far as Batman goes, I've ALWAYS loved Two-Face. Overall comic books, action films, anything, hes' been my favorite Villain. I couldn't believe they threw him in there for 30 minutes at the end of the film and then killed him off. I get the idea for more realism, but it felt unfair to just completely cut him out of the storyline like that. And ALL this emphasis they kept putting on him being this "white knight" vs. Batman's "dark knight" felt so pushed on us towards the end of the movie. They mentioned it like five different times.


So, ok. Yes, I think all movies should be considered for an Oscar. I kind of wish I could erase the things I posted yesterday. I LIKED the movie. I want that to be clear, but because of the above, I have a hard time LOVING the movie. Does that clear things up a little?

In short, you have all rights to love it, and I'm glad that you guys were SO happy with it. I was much more impressed by it than I thought I would be.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #399
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 03:55 AM
I see exactly what you're saying, although I don't really understand Ledger's death taking away from his role.

Statements like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I don't see why people think it was anything but a Superhero movie.
Are the only ones that confuse me. Everything else you've said makes sense and is totally respectable and legitimate.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #400
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 02:55 AM
hmmm, though ashley, there is a rumour he wasn't killed off at the end. obviously we won't know if he was for sure or not until the next movie comes out, but i think the possibility is there for him to still be alive.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #401
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I don't know where I want to go yet, but Penn State, for example, is 12,000 plus 11,000 for room and board.
Jesus christ. Our international students pay less than that. CDN $9,690 for tuition, $5,466 for accomodation.

Move to Canada, pfan.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #402
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I see exactly what you're saying, although I don't really understand Ledger's death taking away from his role.


About Ledger, I got put off by how many people were at the movie when I saw it just because Ledger was in it. People that had no idea who Harvey Dent was. People that hadn't seen Begins. People that had no clue that Bruce Wayne was Batman. I wish I was kidding.

Quote:
Are the only ones that confuse me. Everything else you've said makes sense and is totally respectable and legitimate.
That was what I was trying to clarify. What I mean is that i didn't think that anything that was super meaningful and life altering like some of the people GUSHING (not you or most other people) about the film are making out to be. That kind of stuff puts me off a little too. I hate calling Batman a superhero movie anyways, because he's never been a superhero. And I do believe where comics are concerned Batman has been the closest to being pretty revolutionary in it's thinking, even if it's not my favorite.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #403
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 12:55 AM
@ Khan, did you see it? I would be 10,000 times happier if that's true. I just have a hard time believing it. I'm telling you they like ran over my puppy with a car CMart style, that's how sad I was.



ETA: DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT!

hello Blue Crack Addict status.

__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #404
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

That was what I was trying to clarify. What I mean is that i didn't think that anything that was super meaningful and life altering like some of the people GUSHING (not you or most other people) about the film are making out to be.
Quoting to add that, that's just me. I didn't see it. I wanna see it again with a smaller crowd (kinda ironic since that's the exact opposite of you) so I can just concentrate on the dialogue more.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #405
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
@ Khan, did you see it? I would be 10,000 times happier if that's true. I just have a hard time believing it. I'm telling you they like ran over my puppy with a car CMart style, that's how sad I was.
yeah, i saw it at midnight friday morning well, 12:01 to be exact. but still, for me, knowing how movies and everything are, i know unless you see someone dying, there's always the possibility they'll come back in a sequel. given how the movie went, i would bet that they will come back. either that or maybe sean young will finally get to be catwoman
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com