Instrumental songs in rock music: Good, Bad, Indifferent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like anything, it depends on the artist. If it wasnt for rock instrumentals, we wouldnt have a song called, "Judy is a Dick Slap". Obviously we are all better off because we do.

instrumental songs in rock music is good, depending on the artists.

I personally find Joe Satriani to be an unbelievabley great instrumental rock artist.

I'm pretty indifferent. Most of the time they can be rather boring, and tedious. But other times they are just fucking awesome like The Who's Quadrophenia and The Rock.

Some of them are absolutely wonderful. Take Placebo's "Bulletproof Cupid" that opens Sleeping With Ghosts... :drool:

And the hidden track "Evil Dildo" on Without You I'm Nothing. :laugh:

my 2 favorites are Rush's "YYZ" and Sting's "St. Agnes and the Burning Train"....oh and maybe U2's "Race Against Time".

anything else I'm not as keen on.

rock music just wasn't made for instrumentals.

I'm a huge fan of The Church and Steve Kilbey, and out of several hundred songs Steve has written (solo, as part of The Church, or in collaborations with other artists), my favorites include several instrumentals

Film
The Temptation of St. Anthony
Gloriana
Loki (I named one of my cats after this song -- and after the norse god Loki)
Tragic Mandarin Love Story
Happy Hunting Ground

All right up there in my list of favorites.

If they are good songs, they are good songs. (And you don't have to worry about that plague of so many rock songs -- asinine lyrics! :wink: )

I lot of the times i like them like in quadrophenia and 4th of july but bob dylan has a lot of instrumental songs i don't really like.

00Kevin said:
bob dylan has a lot of instrumental songs i don't really like.

umm...Dylan has very few instrumental songs, with most of them being on his Self Portrait album (which is hardly his best work...). Besides that album, the only one I can think of by him is Nashville Skyline Rag which is actually a very good song.

Matt786 said:

umm...Dylan has very few instrumental songs, with most of them being on his Self Portrait album (which is hardly his best work...). Besides that album, the only one I can think of by him is Nashville Skyline Rag which is actually a very good song.
Oh, well, i guess i was wrong about that. :shrug:

JOFO said:
rock music just wasn't made for instrumentals.

Tell that to Dick Dale.
And oh, it seems many of you haven't heard Pet Sounds and Let's Go Away For Awhile by the Beach Boys. :wink:

Speed of Life, A New Career In A New Town, & V2 Schnieder, from Low, & Heroes, by Bowie, are 3 excellent instrumentals, plus the ambient tracks from these great albums also.

Popmartijn said:

Tell that to Dick Dale.
And oh, it seems many of you haven't heard Pet Sounds and Let's Go Away For Awhile by the Beach Boys. :wink:

yeah I've them; just don't like 'em.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom