Instant karma for REM??? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
God damn! He was just the drummer! Talk about putting someone on a pedestal.
I believe he wrote some songs too, Perfect Circle being one of them.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #47
The Fly

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack

I believe he wrote some songs too, Perfect Circle being one of them.
i also heard some where that he wrote everybody hurts

Old 03-13-2005, 12:51 AM   #48
War Child

Local Time: 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by burns

i also heard some where that he wrote everybody hurts
He wrote the guitar part.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:20 AM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 03:44 AM
I sow REM in concert last January, and what a bleek experience has that been. If they don't care about critics and fans while making an album, they should really care about them when doing a concert, and try to make a great atmosfere, and not play 8 new, unreleased songs, that most of the people in the concert aren't aware of.
That is what makes U2 a great band, they ROCK live what makes being on their concert an out-of-this-planet experience!
Old 03-13-2005, 01:26 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:44 PM
get real, viva. if a band wants to only play "their greatest hits!!!!!", i'd rather stay at home.

that's what makes rem GREAT. i saw them on this tour too, and they were amazing.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Right, but the difference is that NO ONE CARES about R.E.M.'s new songs. They aren't very good. U2 at least is writing stuff that doesn't sound grossly inferior to their more well-known material. Look how well-received the new stuff was received on the Elevation tour. I expect the same thing this time.

And as for Bill Berry, I mentioned earlier in this thread that he was the one who always wanted to make sure the songs had a hook. I forget where I read this but it may have been around the time he left, or when Up came out.

It's not a coincidence that the stuff has been a lot less accessible since his departure, with the exception of half of Up.

And yeah, I pray for the day he returns even for one song on one album. Other than that we'll have to settle for their hall of fame induction in a few years.

lazz
Old 03-13-2005, 08:28 PM   #52
Refugee

the sad fact is, rem's best days are far behind them, they haven't been the same after bill berry left (though up definitely has its moments) i saw them in concert last fall, they were pretty awful, i was subjected to no less than 10 songs from around the sun. conversely, when i saw them the summer before, they were incredible, and played a set that was mostly the classics

obviously rem doesn't want to be thought of as a "greatest hits" nostalgia act, however, they haven't produced anything vital or relevant since up. when i listen to their new stuff, it sounds like middle of the road lite-rock lacking the passion and emotional intensity that made them great
Old 03-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #53
War Child

Local Time: 07:44 PM
They've always made an effort to play a big chunk of new songs whenever they go on tour, so I don't see why that should change now. I know a good percentage of the audience at this point isn't too interested in hearing them, but of course the band themselves don't think they suck so they're going to play them. Plus, even the worst songs on Reveal and Around The Sun sound a lot better live than on record, at least in my opinion.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:02 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Right, but the difference is that NO ONE CARES about R.E.M.'s new songs. They aren't very good. U2 at least is writing stuff that doesn't sound grossly inferior to their more well-known material. Look how well-received the new stuff was received on the Elevation tour. I expect the same thing this time.

And as for Bill Berry, I mentioned earlier in this thread that he was the one who always wanted to make sure the songs had a hook. I forget where I read this but it may have been around the time he left, or when Up came out.

It's not a coincidence that the stuff has been a lot less accessible since his departure, with the exception of half of Up.

And yeah, I pray for the day he returns even for one song on one album. Other than that we'll have to settle for their hall of fame induction in a few years.

lazz
haha, no, that's where i feel you couldn't be more wrong.

i CARE about rem's new songs. i wanted to be wrong is probably one of my favourite songs of 2004.

rem writes songs/music THEY WANT TO. they don't give a shit what anyone else says.

they're already loaded financially, what's the point of bullshitting their way to further $$$??

u2 should take notes. and accessibility is lame. just cause you don't "get it" doesn't mean it's not any good.

most aphex twin could hardly be described as easy listening, so does this make him suck balls?

real artists and groups progress, and if the masses don't accept it - who cares? artists, painters in particular have always evolved. they have to if they're to be considered important.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #55
The Fly

Local Time: 12:44 PM
I know I'm relatively alone on this one and I wouldn't say that I swallow any thing that R.E.M. wrote or played, but I am continually blown away by Around the Sun.

And I think its because in Around the Sun, I heard an album that so beautifully describes the last four or so years. And the tunes do continue to grow on me.

Stipe, does continue to write songs that resonant with me. From their latest CD - Leaving New York, Makei it All Okay, Final Straw, Aftermath, Boy in the Well, grabbed me immediately, and the others on subsequent listen have grown too.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:11 AM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

haha, no, that's where i feel you couldn't be more wrong.

i CARE about rem's new songs. i wanted to be wrong is probably one of my favourite songs of 2004.

rem writes songs/music THEY WANT TO. they don't give a shit what anyone else says.

they're already loaded financially, what's the point of bullshitting their way to further $$$??

u2 should take notes. and accessibility is lame. just cause you don't "get it" doesn't mean it's not any good.

most aphex twin could hardly be described as easy listening, so does this make him suck balls?

real artists and groups progress, and if the masses don't accept it - who cares? artists, painters in particular have always evolved. they have to if they're to be considered important.
I agree with you generally. I haven't heard REM's new stuff, so I can't comment of that specifically, but I admire a band or musician that makes music that works for them, even if it isn't commercially viable.

I was at a show for a band I like and all the people next to me wanted to hear was the band's "hits" from 15 years ago. That band had put out seven albums during those 15 years and is certainly no nostalgia act. Irritating that so many people won't even give their new work a chance.

(unfortunately the band I saw isn't loaded financially, so they are paying a heavy price for making the music that they love.)
Old 04-08-2005, 06:10 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:14 PM
I saw REM play here in Australia the other night on the last night of this leg of their world tour. (they go to Europe for the northern summer). It was as Michael said "the first gig of their 25th year" and I thought REM, and Michael in particular, rocked! This was despite the whole band being hungover from going out and celebrating their 25th anniversary the night before (and I'm peeved taht I didn't think that they might be out and about in Adelaide on a Tuesday night - gah! )

The set list was a mix of everything really, stuff like Walk Unafraid, Heron House, etc for the die-hards, all teh big hits for the "fans" and quite a few of the Around the Sun ones, which worked much better live than I had thought. I bought that recently and played it non stop in my car for about 3 weeks and while, yes I thought it was a pile of steaming shite at first, I really like it now. There are very thoughtful songs on there, and I agree Around the sun (track) is a really good song (and I thought it would have made a really good closer ie before the encore (they for some reason went with Losing my Religion instead! )

And Michael is a really confident front man now. He didn't talk all that much before the encore, but then he really opened up about them and their anniversary, they celebrated their sound guy's birthday and while the band did have that hungover state about them, they seemed really appreciative of the crowd's (well the front few rows maybe!) enthusiasm.

As for them being great, not being great, every single interview I ever read with Peter Buck from the very beginning has always had him saying he never wanted to be mega-famous. He went through the publicity, photo etc bullshit cos he has to for his job, but that was never their focus. Hell, Mike getting the Nudie suits is the closest they've ever got to an "image"! With their current contract, they have artistic control over whatever they do. They have tasted real fame with Everybody Hurts etc and my guess is they didn't enjoy the experience and are not interested in repeating it. Michael is the only one who really inhabits that world and my impression from his interviews is that it took him a lot of years to get used to it.

I reckon they are a band that got mega famous DESPITE themselves.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:37 AM   #58
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by vivaSA
I sow REM in concert last January, and what a bleek experience has that been. If they don't care about critics and fans while making an album, they should really care about them when doing a concert, and try to make a great atmosfere, and not play 8 new, unreleased songs, that most of the people in the concert aren't aware of.
That is what makes U2 a great band, they ROCK live what makes being on their concert an out-of-this-planet experience!
Wrong. Most of those 8 "new, unreleased" songs were from Around the Sun, which you obviously haven't listened to. Not that great of an album, but that's not the point. This is the same thing U2 does. They have only been playing one or two actual new songs each concert. Come to think of it, I wish U2 would do that.

BTW, I saw them in October and they are still great live, even if their albums have gone downhill.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #59
The Fly

Yeah, I saw them play live here in Florida for Vote For Change. They were good but not great, Bruce Springsteen stole the show right under them. I really, really, love them but, their new record is not that good. Ever since they lost Bill, they seem to be going downhill. I hope they get back on track.