(inspired by another forum): "cool" and the relevance of it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
First, how do you define cool?
Is it the clothes you wear, is it the right things to say or is it more of an attitude thing?

If it's some clique-ish kind of thing (you know, say the right things and be "cool" to whoever is "important" - like in the American movies portrayal of high school), forget it. In that sense i don't know how to be cool, if that's what it comes down to it.

The right clothes to wear? I usually wear whatever feels good, it doesn't have to be whoopingly "stylish". (more often than not, it isn't, but more importantly i like it and feel comfortable)

Have the right look? Um, not me. Probably it cost me some popularity points in my high school time, but hey, i managed just fine without it. And i had friends without having to get all "clique"-y.

Attitude? I dunno...i'm just me by my best abilities.

Or (being a non-native speaker) am i missing something? Is "cool" something else, not on my list?

In microcosims such as high schools, cool is what you wear and what extracurricular activities you take part in. Like being on the football team or being a cheerleader. Or cool can be defined by what kind of music you listen to, or whether or not you suavely buck authority. In high school "cool" is synonymous with popularity. So what makes a person popular: the clothes, the music, the clique you hang with.

But now that I've been out of school for a long time, "cool" means something else entirely. I think cool envelops more than meets the eye. Sure you can look at someone and think they look cool - but that's too easy. What is "cool" is subjective, it's in the eye of the beholder.

To me someone who is cool can think for him/herself. Cool is being able to wear whatever you want and have your brain speak for itself. Cool is being modest or humble in the right situations, and cool is speaking your mind and putting your brain and words into action. Cool isn't about how you dress, it's about being who you are.

A good movie, I think, that deals with issues of "coolness" is Ghost World. A good part of the movie is being able to look past the exterior into something much deeper, and finding a really "cool" person underneath an exterior people would be so quick to judge as unhip.

cool
adj. cool?er, cool?est
Neither warm nor very cold; moderately cold: fresh, cool water; a cool autumn evening.
Giving or suggesting relief from heat: a cool breeze; a cool blouse.
Marked by calm self-control: a cool negotiator.
Marked by indifference, disdain, or dislike; unfriendly or unresponsive: a cool greeting; was cool to the idea of higher taxes.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of colors, such as blue and green, that produce the impression of coolness.

Slang.
Excellent; first-rate: has a cool sports car; had a cool time at the party.
Acceptable; satisfactory: It's cool if you don't want to talk about it.

Slang. Entire; full: worth a cool million.

adv.
Informal. In a casual manner; nonchalantly: play it cool.

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 04-08-2002).]

Originally posted by mikal:
Gosh. That's a tough one Maja.

I know I'm cool, but I don't know why.

Ack! You mean you can't teach me your cool ways?

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
This thread is soo not cool.

It takes an un-cool to know un-cool, mister.
wink.gif

Originally posted by ABEL:
cool
adj. cool?er, cool?est
Neither warm nor very cold; moderately cold: fresh, cool water; a cool autumn evening.
Giving or suggesting relief from heat: a cool breeze; a cool blouse.
Marked by calm self-control: a cool negotiator.
Marked by indifference, disdain, or dislike; unfriendly or unresponsive: a cool greeting; was cool to the idea of higher taxes.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of colors, such as blue and green, that produce the impression of coolness.

Slang.
Excellent; first-rate: has a cool sports car; had a cool time at the party.
Acceptable; satisfactory: It's cool if you don't want to talk about it.

Slang. Entire; full: worth a cool million.

adv.
Informal. In a casual manner; nonchalantly: play it cool.

Erm...how about more practical examples (like adam's mistress did in her post).
Some help you are.
biggrin.gif

ps: The replies of you 3 boys have made my evening. I'm totally in a good mood right now.

pps: I think i made a typo in the first post in this thread. It's "whoppingly", NOT "whoopingly" - right?
I mean, the only thing (as far as i know) that whooping is connected to is - asses.
biggrin.gif

ppps: Ahem...back to coolness.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-08-2002).]

Originally posted by U2girl:
First, how do you define cool?

Adam Clayton
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Back
Top Bottom