Inspirational people - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2004, 07:05 AM   #1
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:04 PM
Inspirational people

Who are the most in your view? And why?
I'm curious as to what you all think. Earlier I was having a conversation about that image of that Kim Phuc, and all the children in that photo, and then it turned to people in general who have awed and inspired us. It seems most are linked to the worst of humankind in some way, hers being naturally the Vietnam War. I think image plays a big part of it too, as you'd say to anyone the name Kim and Vietnam and they'll immediately know what you're talking about. Extend it too, to powerful photographs as well which have impacted on you in some way. I'd like to see any you'd like to post.

Old 03-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:04 AM
I won't go on another Steve Waugh rant
because that has more to do with admiration than inspiration

I am not inspired by anything related to politics
I may be cynical but to me in the end political goals are too much combined with self interest

what inspires me th emost are people who dare to face life with love in their heart instead of fear or anger or resentment or doubt

I guess no one fits that description all the time
but the people who can make me feel that its at least possible to live that way are the highest on my list

so that would ensure you a place in my top 5

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 03-04-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

People who face their fears

And people who live their life to the full and make everyday count especially those people who have serious medical problems
Old 03-05-2004, 07:34 AM   #4
Jesus Online

Hahaha thanks dear Slomey I meant more in an international sense...any examples? I know you aren't completely unmoved
Old 03-05-2004, 07:50 AM   #5
you are what you is

how much more international do you wanna get?

umm, well, if I had to name one individual who has more global recognition then it would probably be Martin Luther King
he had plenty of faith
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 03-05-2004, 08:05 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Audrey Hepburn

http://www.audreyhepburn.com/html/unicef/index.html
Old 03-05-2004, 10:02 AM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 02:04 AM

1. Katherine Hepburn (tough, smart, talented, willfull)
2. Martin Luther King Jr.
3. Gandhi
4. Jesus
5. on a TOTALLY different level of admiration (lol) - Gwen Stefani (she has style coming out of her EARS and talent to back it up)
6. Gavin Friday.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:56 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:04 AM
Sponge Bob-

who has the courage to wear square pants.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:25 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:04 PM
Darwin, not so much for what he said as it had been said before but the fact that he kept saying it in the face of massive criticism. I admire a person who sticks to their convictions even when the going gets tough.

Heinrich Schliemann who spent about 20 years looking for the 'mythical' ruins of the City of Troy. He did so with the naysayers telling him that Troy didnt exist, its just a fable, and to give up....... He didnt....... He found it.

Philip Nitsche. Same again. Sticks to his guns (almost literally in his case).
Old 03-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:04 AM
I'll state the obvious...

Bono, of course.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:03 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 05:04 AM
I have to say my parents are the most inspirational people to me...they could not have children but after 5 years of trying they adopted me and 2 years later they adopted my sister (not blood related). They sacrificed so that my sister and I could grow up in a safe place instead of their neighborhood in northeast Wash. DC (where they lived all their lives).....they just left it all behind for our sakes. They also worked hard and sacrificed to send us to good schools - both Catholic grade school and high school. They showed us love as well as tough love, and raised us with very strong morals and values. My father is especially an inspiration to me because even though he unfortunately died of cancer eight months after being diagnosed, he did not despair, he did not give up....he celebrated LIFE. My mother did not have an easy childhood but she did not give up either, she has been through many trials and tribulations as well.

Truly extraordinary people, I doubt I could ever live up to such a selfless example.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:07 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:04 AM
Re: I'll state the obvious...

Quote:
Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo
Bono, of course.
...for so many reasons...I'm glad to find another person out there willing to stay optimistic and believe this world can change for the better. And I love the way he thinks about religion-the way he personally deals with his own faith definitely inspires me. He also has shown that it's okay to be silly, it's okay to think up crazy ideas and give them a whirl, it's okay to be creative. And it's okay to question the world around you.

Another person I can think of-my friend Cassidy was definitely an inspiration to me. She was born legally blind, but yet she's achieved so much in her life-she did well in school, she's a fantastic artist (she's really into Japanese anime, and she is incredible with that kind of artwork), and she's got all these great plans for her life-she wants to live in Japan and maybe do more with her art. For the time being, she's studying to become a minister. She doesn't let her blindness get her down, she doesn't let it stand in the way of what she wants to do. I just think that's really cool, and I try and apply that breaking down barriers thing to my life.

My parents also definitely inspire me. They've helped me to learn to never be afraid to speak my mind and stand up for what I believe in, to keep hope alive when times are hard, to work hard at what I really want to do.

Angela
Old 03-06-2004, 12:57 AM   #13
Refugee

definately this guy, this image to me prooves that non-violent actions can and do make a difference and to have the courage to do that, well I think it is extremely admirable!

I also really admire and am inspired by the actions of Bono, for using his celebrity in a positive way and continually being a campaigner of humanitarian causes and I am also inspired by the animal liberationist Peter Singer who campaigns intelligently on the plight and rights of all sentient creatures
Old 03-06-2004, 02:41 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 06:04 AM

Chester Tompson !!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 10:59 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Princess Diana comes to mind with aids and landmines.
MLK
And of course Bono, for what he believes in making the world a better place to live in.