Inspirational people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
Who are the most in your view? And why?
I'm curious as to what you all think. Earlier I was having a conversation about that image of that Kim Phuc, and all the children in that photo, and then it turned to people in general who have awed and inspired us. It seems most are linked to the worst of humankind in some way, hers being naturally the Vietnam War. I think image plays a big part of it too, as you'd say to anyone the name Kim and Vietnam and they'll immediately know what you're talking about. Extend it too, to powerful photographs as well which have impacted on you in some way. I'd like to see any you'd like to post.

I won't go on another Steve Waugh rant
because that has more to do with admiration than inspiration

I am not inspired by anything related to politics
I may be cynical but to me in the end political goals are too much combined with self interest

what inspires me th emost are people who dare to face life with love in their heart instead of fear or anger or resentment or doubt

I guess no one fits that description all the time
but the people who can make me feel that its at least possible to live that way are the highest on my list

so that would ensure you a place in my top 5 :up:

People who face their fears :up:

And people who live their life to the full and make everyday count especially those people who have serious medical problems :up:

Hahaha thanks dear Slomey :D I meant more in an international sense...any examples? I know you aren't completely unmoved :p

how much more international do you wanna get? :p

umm, well, if I had to name one individual who has more global recognition then it would probably be Martin Luther King
he had plenty of faith

1. Katherine Hepburn (tough, smart, talented, willfull)
2. Martin Luther King Jr.
3. Gandhi
4. Jesus
5. on a TOTALLY different level of admiration (lol) - Gwen Stefani (she has style coming out of her EARS and talent to back it up)
6. Gavin Friday.

Darwin, not so much for what he said as it had been said before but the fact that he kept saying it in the face of massive criticism. I admire a person who sticks to their convictions even when the going gets tough.

Heinrich Schliemann who spent about 20 years looking for the 'mythical' ruins of the City of Troy. He did so with the naysayers telling him that Troy didnt exist, its just a fable, and to give up....... He didnt....... He found it. :heart:

Philip Nitsche. Same again. Sticks to his guns (almost literally in his case).

I have to say my parents are the most inspirational people to me...they could not have children but after 5 years of trying they adopted me and 2 years later they adopted my sister (not blood related). They sacrificed so that my sister and I could grow up in a safe place instead of their neighborhood in northeast Wash. DC (where they lived all their lives).....they just left it all behind for our sakes. They also worked hard and sacrificed to send us to good schools - both Catholic grade school and high school. They showed us love as well as tough love, and raised us with very strong morals and values. My father is especially an inspiration to me because even though he unfortunately died of cancer eight months after being diagnosed, he did not despair, he did not give up....he celebrated LIFE. My mother did not have an easy childhood but she did not give up either, she has been through many trials and tribulations as well.

Truly extraordinary people, I doubt I could ever live up to such a selfless example.

Re: I'll state the obvious...

theSoulfulMofo said:
Bono, of course.

:yes:...for so many reasons...I'm glad to find another person out there willing to stay optimistic and believe this world can change for the better. And I love the way he thinks about religion-the way he personally deals with his own faith definitely inspires me. He also has shown that it's okay to be silly, it's okay to think up crazy ideas and give them a whirl, it's okay to be creative. And it's okay to question the world around you.

Another person I can think of-my friend Cassidy was definitely an inspiration to me. She was born legally blind, but yet she's achieved so much in her life-she did well in school, she's a fantastic artist (she's really into Japanese anime, and she is incredible with that kind of artwork), and she's got all these great plans for her life-she wants to live in Japan and maybe do more with her art. For the time being, she's studying to become a minister. She doesn't let her blindness get her down, she doesn't let it stand in the way of what she wants to do. I just think that's really cool, and I try and apply that breaking down barriers thing to my life.

My parents also definitely inspire me. They've helped me to learn to never be afraid to speak my mind and stand up for what I believe in, to keep hope alive when times are hard, to work hard at what I really want to do.

Angela

studentvstanks.jpg

definately this guy, this image to me prooves that non-violent actions can and do make a difference and to have the courage to do that, well I think it is extremely admirable!

I also really admire and am inspired by the actions of Bono, for using his celebrity in a positive way and continually being a campaigner of humanitarian causes and I am also inspired by the animal liberationist Peter Singer who campaigns intelligently on the plight and rights of all sentient creatures:wink:

the obvious, Jesus, Bono:), MLK, Aung San Suu Kyi, lots of famous brave and inspirational people.
But it's the quiet achievers , the "little people", the survivors who carry on with dignity and love who really rock my world.
e.g.
My mum
My childhood Sunday School/Scripture teacher( who died recently)
and people who's stories I stumble across in books and magazines, too numerous to recount.
I'd like to share this recent one with you. My mother has given me several books by Rabbi Rudy Brasch. I recently found his autobiography and bought it to give to her. In the meantime I am reading it.
from
"Reminiscences of a Roving Rabbi" Chapter 3- On A Mission To Ireland
"....With the advent of peace, it did not take long for me to be given another opportunity to break new ground....When in 1946 I was asked to pioneer Liberal Judaism in Ireland.
My first engagement was, as it were truly Irish. As a Jewish Rabbi in a catholic country, I was invited to address the Protestant Society of Friends of Islam!....
Without a doubt of all the services, the most memorable was the childrens' service I held on the Day of Atonement...not because of the beautiful voices of the children's choir, but the presence of a five year old girl. We did not know her name and called her Eve.
Just a few days prior to the service "Eve" had been brought to Ireland and had been adopted by one of the families belonging to my congregation. She had been found in a sack in one of the liberated Polish concentration camps. Although she survived she was tragically bereft of her entire family and was unaware of her identity. Hers was a sad, old face and she could not smile. What love can do! Meeting her years later, though still traumatised, she could laugh again. She never felt sorry for herself or bore any hatred in her heart..."

Knowledge of people like Eve inspire me.

Jesus Christ
Mother Teresa
Rosa Parks
MLK
Nelson Mandela
Rev. Billy Graham
John Lennon
Bono
Michael J Fox
Elie Wiesel
Anne Frank
John and Robert Kennedy

Mr Heath - 6th grade teacher - environmental awareness
My buddy June - breast cancer survivor
My parents - if I'd known being a good parent would be so much work I would have taken notes

Some other good mentions here that I forgot. :).

Speaking of teachers...I have a few I'd like to thank:

-A 5th grade teacher (not my teacher, but the teacher of the class next door). She would read my stories I'd written during our writing workshops, and one day she said, "When you write your first novel, dedicate it to me". At that moment, I decided that I wanted to take up writing as my career.
-My 9th grade Language Arts teacher and my 12th grade Advanced Speech/World Literature teachers. While I'd decided early on that I wanted to be a writer, I was still rather shy and wary of sharing my writing with people, for fear that they'd make fun or something, but these teachers helped me get over that. And they helped me improve my writing skills even more.
-My 12th grade AP Government teacher. He got me more interested in politics, and, like my parents, he also helped to encourage me to speak my mind.

Angela

I thought about some teachers too. My primary school only had 30 kids, divided into upper and lower division. The two teachers were wonderful and dedicated,Mrs Daley and Mr Davies. What a team. And then Mr Mewing (SAM), my English teacher in high school, what a nice man. I loved school.

I forgot about teachers...

High school - my Math, English, and Art teachers
College - Drawing 1 teacher, 3-D Design and Ceramics teacher. :wave: lol like they are reading this forum :der:

Speaking of teachers, has anyone read Sting's book Broken Music? Among many people, he also dedicated it to several of his teachers. I thought that was sweet.

Last edited:
senrab said:
Speaking of teachers, has anyone read Sting's book Broken Music? Among many people, he also dedicated it to several of his teachers. I thought that was sweet.

I haven't and was thinking of buying it. Is it any good?

Sting is also touring but no Vancouver date yet.:sad:

Yes, I enjoyed the book very much...I'm really a Police fan, I don't like solo Sting but he is a very talented writer. The book was both entertaining and substantive.

my former housemate, and friend, cormac mcanallen.
an inspiration to all who were lucky enough to know him.
RIP cormac, gone but never forgotten. :(

Back
Top Bottom