Infringement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why would it not?

Bono's name is popular worldwide...unless of course, he has an interest in these restaurants.

:|

why don't we copyright the letter e, too?

Actually you might say that Bono infringed on the name of the founder Lou Bono, who clearly had the name first if he was firing up BBQ pits in 1949.

:tsk:

it's not copyright infringement, but it definitely could violate Bono's "right of publicity." basically, if a court finds that consumers would be confused into thinking that Bono actually was affiliated with this restaurant, and that the owners of the restaurant used that name to capitalize on Bono's reputation, it could enjoin the proprieters from using the name.

(sorry, i'm a lawyer :nerd: :wink: )

here's some more info on rights of publicity:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/Publicity

"The Right of Publicity prevents the unauthorized commercial use of an individual's name, likeness, or other recognizable aspects of one's persona. It gives an individual the exclusive right to license the use of their identity for commercial promotion."

Last edited:
I didn't click the link nor have I ever heard of this place but how do you know the last name is not pronounced Bone-o like Sonny Bono?

I used to work for a phone book advertising co. I spent many hours proofing phone books :)crack: yes people actually do get paid to read those things before they go to print :crazy: ) and there's plenty of people with the last name of "Bono" out there.

arw9797 said:
I didn't click the link nor have I ever heard of this place but how do you know the last name is not pronounced Bone-o like Sonny Bono?

I used to work for a phone book advertising co. I spent many hours proofing phone books :)crack: yes people actually do get paid to read those things before they go to print :crazy: ) and there's plenty of people with the last name of "Bono" out there.

:yes: and that's definitely one of the factors that the court would take into consideration when deciding the case. additionally, the parties would conduct consumer surveys and present them as evidence to show whether people were actually confused and mislead into thinking that :bono: was associated with the restaurant. it's a very subjective analysis.

*Ally* said:

that would be trademark infringement, since i'm sure the name "U2" is trademarked.

trademark infringement is so common here :tsk: I guess is because no one really cares about it

I mean, those affected can´t really be worried about a little store in a little country that sells cheap t-shirts with the word U2

Last edited:
Caroni said:

trademark infringement is so common here :tsk: I guess is because no one really cares about it

yup, it's super common here as well- just walking along Canal Street, you'll see every "designer" handbag you can imagine- and they only cost $20 as opposed to $800. how's that possible?? :wink:

We have a "Bono's" here in town, but it's a cheap Italian place. The type of people that work there and eat there don't look like the type that would have a clue who Bono is. And like arw said, I'm sure they pronounce it "boh-no's".

I think someone copyrighted the letter E already (see E! network)

Schmeg said:
Actually you might say that Bono infringed on the name of the founder Lou Bono, who clearly had the name first if he was firing up BBQ pits in 1949.

And Bono was born WHEN? 1960.

I just do not understand the dementia that goes through certain U2 fans heads. Seriously.

OMG, i think :bono: really did trademark his name! you can do free trademark searches on the US Patent and Trademark office website. i did a search for "Bono" and got 43 results.

this one caught my eye, since it's registered to "Paul Hewson" and "Principle Managment"- it was just registered on August 15, 2006:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=bgfma6.2.21

and for those who are interested, here's a link to all 43 results for the word "Bono":
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=bgfma6.2.1

Last edited:
Re: why don't we copyright the letter e, too?

Schmeg said:

:tsk:

:up:

*Ally* said:
OMG, i think :bono: really did trademark his name! you can do free trademark searches on the US Patent and Trademark office website. i did a search for "Bono" and got 43 results.

this one caught my eye, since it's registered to "Paul Hewson" and "Principle Managment"- it was just registered on August 15, 2006:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=bgfma6.2.21

and for those who are interested, here's a link to all 43 results for the word "Bono":
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfiel...h&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

again...Lawyers :drool:

It looks like his name is TM'd for music and merch related items. Makes perfect sense.

As for BBQ.............

zonelistener said:

again...Lawyers :drool:

:evil:

;)

i had no idea bono had officially trademarked his name, so that came as a total shock to me. but i agree with zoney that it's highly unlikely that trademark infringement would be found in this case particularly because the name is being used in 2 totally different industries (and therefore people not likely to be confused).

dude, this thread reminds me of a law school exam question :crack:

i'm going back to PLEBA now... :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom