Indus Creed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Okay, I'm gonna give you guys a little insight into one of the first popular rock bands to come out of India. THE band that brought 'western music' closer to our shores and made it more accessible... INDUS CREED. They played as 'Rock Machine' through much of the 80s and then changed their name to a more Indian one in '93.

Here are some samples. Check them out! :wink:

*links removed by Bonochick*

Oh look.. they even have a Wikipedia entry!

Indus Creed is a rock group from India that formed in 1993. After getting a new drummer, they decided to radically alter their sound by incorporating Indian instruments into their music.

Indus Creed holds the distinction of being India's premier rock band. The group was formed in 1984 and was then known as "Rock Machine". The line-up featured Mahesh Tinaikar (lead guitar), Mark Selwyn (bass), Uday Benegal (vocals), Jayesh Gandhi (rhythm and lead guitar), Mark Menzes (drums) and Zubin Balaporia (keyboard).

Rock Machine was mainly a "covers-only" band, heavily influenced by American and British rock groups such as Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Whitesnake, and others. Based in Bombay (now known as Mumbai), Rock Machine was one of the first bands in India to tour the length and breadth of the country.

Around 1988, the band launched Rock and Roll Renegade, India's first all-original rock album. The album was successful among Indian rock music aficionados and Rock Machine's touring made them very popular among college audiences. The band was known for its slick, well-produced concerts, unlike the highly unpredictable, inconsistent shows put up by amateur Indian bands.

The early 1990s saw a major shift in the entertainment landscape in India. The arrival of MTV made new American and British music more accessible to Indian rock listeners. Almost overnight, the tastes changed and listeners either wanted heavier, harder rock (such as Metallica) or an alternative sound. Thus, "Indus Creed" came into existence in 1993. Gone were the 80s-style clothes and songs. The band adopted a new name that signalled a more global and hip image. Their sound changed dramatically; they introduced softer, more acoustic instruments, including a tabla player. Their third album titled Indus Creed was promoted extensively on MTV and even got them a hit single ("Pretty Child").

Mark Menezes left the band in 1992 and was replaced by Bobby Duggal. Duggal left in 1995 and was replaced by Adrian Fernandes. The band split in the late 1990s. Uday Benegal and Jayesh Gandhi later surfaced with a fusion band named Alms For Shanti.

I have fond nostalgic memories of the time! :love:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonochick said:

:scratch: I've seen several threads not only here but in EYKIW that have ysi links. I don't mean to point anyone out but for starters, just as an example, there was Khanada's thread about David Sylvian with much more samples than mine. I can't think of any others off hand but there've been many!

Plus, what use is this thread without samples? How is anybody going to get an idea about how Indus Creed sounds without any samples? :huh:

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:
Yeah I agree. I know it's technically against the rules but it's been done before loads for other threads.

Still, I guess it is against the rules.

I must have not noticed them then, since I would have removed them. I try to be fair, so I apologize if Zootlesque feels singled out.

If anybody ever sees links posted like that, feel free to use the function to report a post to ensure that a moderator can take care of it.

Plus, what use is this thread without samples? How is anybody going to get an idea about how Indus Creed sounds without any samples? :huh:

Well...we can't control what happens via email. That's why in a recent Ryan Adams thread, I offered to email a song to anybody who was interested, instead of just posting a link. :whistle: :wink:

Trust me, I really wish we could still post links...I've had to stop myself from doing so on more than one occasion. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom