Indie Record Store Assholes - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus


Down the hatch!

I hate Green Day because I do know better, regardless of how many mainstream rock critics try to tell me about the genius of American Idiot (been there, done that). And really, we're not talking about high school kids and their "My First Band" infatuations, are we? We're talking about people who should have more eclectic tastes yet still listen to second-rate artists in genres where there is far better.

You're seriously undervaluing the pretentious music lover. If it wasn't for elitism we wouldn't have seen Dylan elevated to god-like status, with scholars pouring over even his most overt attempts at confusing the listening public. If it wasn't for elitism we wouldn't have a band like Pavement. What a sorry music world that would be.

Of course, many of the people rah-rahing your populist rant are probably failing to acknowledge that this is the same vantage point from which you vocally strike down Radiohead's post-OK Computer output.

So you can have your Green Day and lemonade, I'll take the gasoline and Kid A.
I hate Kid A for all the right reasons.

The music is terrible.

The fact some RH fans are hipster douchebags is just a bonus. For them and their ilk, music is a race. A game with a scorecard. The latest fashion trend.

But for those who really love it, it's all good.

And that's all that matters right? A love of music?

Not little cliques where you listen to music to "fit in."

How great would it be if all the attitude was flushed and people just shared their love of music?

Do I really need to hear every Woody Gutherie song in order to dig Dylan?

And if I know every Woody Gutherie song, does it mean my enjoyment of Dylans music is "better" than the fan who loves Dylan, but never dug into his influences?

How many more lurkers here would post if they knew they wouldn't get ther head ripped off for mentioning the "wrong" band?

Then you could tell them about the brilliance of "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain", and they'd trust you cause you didn't treat them like a shithead. Then they'd go buy it and fall in love with it.
__________________

__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 04-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,459
Local Time: 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus


Down the hatch!

I hate Green Day because I do know better, regardless of how many mainstream rock critics try to tell me about the genius of American Idiot (been there, done that). And really, we're not talking about high school kids and their "My First Band" infatuations, are we? We're talking about people who should have more eclectic tastes yet still listen to second-rate artists in genres where there is far better.

You're seriously undervaluing the pretentious music lover. If it wasn't for elitism we wouldn't have seen Dylan elevated to god-like status, with scholars pouring over even his most overt attempts at confusing the listening public. If it wasn't for elitism we wouldn't have a band like Pavement. What a sorry music world that would be.

Of course, many of the people rah-rahing your populist rant are probably failing to acknowledge that this is the same vantage point from which you vocally strike down Radiohead's post-OK Computer output.

So you can have your Green Day and lemonade, I'll take the gasoline and Kid A.
i'm with you.

ignorance is NEVER good. and some people are written off as elitists far too quickly.

though i'll definitely never argue the FACT that ateaseweb is filled with awful twats, and that pitchfork is far too often so far up their own ass that i hardly make the trek to see what they have to say.
__________________

__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 04-20-2006, 11:28 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
ignorance is NEVER good.
But an "informed" asshole is better?

Please.

Ignorance can be replaced with knowledge.

Smug is just smug. And there's nothing redeeming about it.
__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
lmjhitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: tbtf
Posts: 4,317
Local Time: 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

Ignorance can be replaced with knowledge.
i have to agree with you to a point, mr. brau.

your scenario presupposes that there are people who know better, and can therefore share their knowledge with others.

but, if i said, 'maybe instead of listening to switchfoot, you should try broken social scene,' people would jump all over me for being a pretentious indie bitch.

bear's right:
Quote:
some people are written off as elitists far too quickly.
especially around here.
__________________
lmjhitman is offline  
Old 04-20-2006, 11:50 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
elevation2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: corner of Badlands & Magnolia Mountain
Posts: 5,371
Local Time: 07:47 PM
__________________
elevation2u is offline  
Old 04-21-2006, 12:01 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

i have to agree with you to a point, mr. brau.

your scenario presupposes that there are people who know better, and can therefore share their knowledge with others.

but, if i said, 'maybe instead of listening to switchfoot, you should try broken social scene,' people would jump all over me for being a pretentious indie bitch.

bear's right:

especially around here.
Scenario #1:

Joe: "I like Green Day"

Elitist Music Douchebag: "Green Day suck. You're an idiot. You should be listening to The Ramones. You fucking ignorant idiot. Don't you know this? Your taste in music sucks."

"Joe" never tried The Ramones, cause "Elitist Music Douchebag" treated him like shit and lived up to his name, "Elitist Music Douchebag." Who in their right mind would take advice from such a stuck-up shit?

Joe discovers no new music. Still thinks Green Day are kings of punk rock.

Scenario #2:

Joe: "I like Green Day"

Actual Human Being Who Loves Music: "If you like Green Day, you'll really like The Ramones. Old school 70's punk shit. They started it, and are still the best. Hard to believe it's 30 year old stuff. They're fun and I really love them."

"Joe" buys the Ramones Anthology and falls in love with them, because "Actual Human Being Who Loves Music" wasn't an "Elitist Music Douchebag" and his reco sounded positive and interesting.

Joe's ignorance of The Ramones is replaced with knowledge and love of music.
__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 04-21-2006, 01:12 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,459
Local Time: 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1


But an "informed" asshole is better?

Please.

Ignorance can be replaced with knowledge.

Smug is just smug. And there's nothing redeeming about it.
it's hilarious how you pretty much always state your opinion as fact, and is not worthy of even debating.

it actually reminds me of myself.
__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 04-21-2006, 01:39 AM   #38
War Child
 
clifedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 926
Local Time: 10:47 PM
Anyone else having trouble viewing this? Everytime I click play, it reloads the page instead.
__________________
clifedge is offline  
Old 04-21-2006, 01:46 AM   #39
War Child
 
clifedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 926
Local Time: 10:47 PM
Nevermind...I just watched it on YouTube.
__________________
clifedge is offline  
Old 04-21-2006, 02:14 AM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,010
Local Time: 07:47 PM
I see what you're saying about Green Day, Mr. Brau, but is there an alternative scenario to this:

Joe: I like Coldplay.

Elitist Music Douchebag: You're a lost cause.


On a serious note, what you're failing to acknowledge is that there are TONS of people who don't do anything with the knowledge they're offered or exposed to. Some people just have bad taste. They could follow Green Day to other (read: actual) punk bands and still prefer the former, not seeing what the big deal is about The Ramones, The Clash, The Germs, X, The Buzzcocks, whoever. And those are the people that ultimately get called tools by Elitist Music Douchebags like myself. How many people are (or were, more appropriately) WAY into the Goo Goo Dolls or but don't get The Replacements?

Just because ignorance CAN be replaced with knowledge doesn't mean it will be. And while I'm all for giving someone a chance, you're being all too forgiving. I'd rather hang out with smug Pitchfork assholes than the heshers who still listen to Bon Jovi, or white yuppie Dave Matthews Band devotees.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 04-21-2006, 10:07 AM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,464
Local Time: 10:47 PM


right about now, if mr. brau ran for president, i'd seriously consider voting for him.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 04-21-2006, 10:19 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,064
Local Time: 10:47 PM
And I'd join you.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 04-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #43
War Child
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 672
Local Time: 03:47 AM
I've been listening to Loverboy lately (with the windows up and the volume turned down).
__________________
barlowdog is offline  
Old 04-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict
 
redkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: racing to the waterside
Posts: 19,620
Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

right about now, if mr. brau ran for president, i'd seriously consider voting for him.

there must be something he can run for
__________________
redkat is offline  
Old 04-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks!
__________________

__________________
impy13 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com