Indie Music Lovers (that also like U2)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

learn2kneel

War Child
...make yourself known.

Along with U2, my favorite bands are:
Death Cab, Bright Eyes, Rilo Kiley, The Shins, Sunny Day Real Estate, Modest Mouse, Copeland, The Postal Service, Pedro the Lion, Mates of State... etc...

I also enjoy a good Wes Anderson flick which raises my indie status significantly.

are there any others out there?

everyone in the music forum is "indie". you'll almost never seen a stupid bon jovi, matchbox twenty, or nickelback thread here, and you can thank me for that. :shh:

however, there's still three categories of indie. those who think they are, but clearly aren't when they think keane, the killers, coldplay, and starsailor are. no don't get me wrong, some of those bands are better than others, they're just not indie.

then there's people like u2popmofo, elvis presley, cujo, heartland girl, the wanderer (who doesn't post here anymore), calluna, kieran, etc. who all seem to have a good grasp on things.

then there's the sean johnston's of the world. most of you don't know who that is, but he's beyond indie. it's almost awkward.

Practically every store you go to has a different category for "Indie". (Hence my resentment for categories!)

Just take a look at the other million "Bands You Like" threads and you get a taste of the music discussions here.

Is Sean Johnson the guy who was sleeping at Fiery Furnaces/Shins concert I went to?

Zoomerang96 said:
everyone in the music forum is "indie". you'll almost never seen a stupid bon jovi, matchbox twenty, or nickelback thread here, and you can thank me for that. :shh:

I like Nickelback, I think they are quite good.....

ha, you just lost my vote Mullen....

:down:

As for indie, zoom hits it pretty well. However, to define it is to not understand it. Wouldnt you say?
Mr Brau around, he loves indie kids.....
:wink:

Mullen4Prez said:
[BI like Nickelback, I think they are quite good..... [/B]

The word 'Nickelback' should not be that close to a picture of Larry. Ever.

Crap. I forgot about my avatar. :silent:

Last edited:
I must admit to liking Matchbox 20's first album... and I too get irritated by this category bullshit. Being over the age of 10, I have a tendency to believe individualism. And, the definition of "indie" is in constant flux and is rarely an accurate term anyway these days (speaking as someone who was labaelled an "indie kid" for years).

Last edited:
As Lou Barlow once said, "The term indie is kind of dumb as it doesn't tell you what the music sounds like; it only describes the size of the label the band is signed to.

p.s. Death Cab signed to Atlantic recently, hence, no longer indie.

:yes:

Anyway, to respond to the original post, I like Death Cab, Bright Eyes, Rilo Kiley, The Shins, The Postal Service, and Pedro the Lion. :)

Elvis Presley said:
ha, you just lost my vote Mullen....

:down:

As for indie, zoom hits it pretty well. However, to define it is to not understand it. Wouldnt you say?
Mr Brau around, he loves indie kids.....
:wink:

Oh my, I have a rep. :yikes: I just hate "scenes".
I've still got my Death Cab, Velvet Teen, Orange Park, and Spoon records. Right next to my Johnny Cash, U2, Elvis, and REM records.

MrBrau1 said:

Oh my, I have a rep. :yikes: I just hate "scenes".
I've still got my Death Cab, Velvet Teen, Orange Park, and Spoon records. Right next to my Johnny Cash, U2, Elvis, and REM records.

:yes: Well said.

Mullen4Prez said:
Zoomerang96 said:

you're bullshitting right? there's absolutely no way anyone should have the right to say that.

as for sean, i have no idea if he was sleeping at that concert. in fact, i'm not really sure what you're getting at. explain yourself! :notshh:

from the mentioned i enjoy postal service, pedro the lion,....but i really really like bright eyes, it took me a while to like the music but now i cant get enough of the music particularly his voice and words

Mullen4Prez said:
Zoomerang96 said:

you've been removed from your post as prime minister of randoooom. this decision is final.

Zoomerang96 said:
then there's the sean johnston's of the world. most of you don't know who that is, but he's beyond indie. it's almost awkward.

post on atease much? :wink:

'ol sj does indeed take indie asshole-dom to unimaginable levels.

when i think of indie assholes i think of people on radiohead elitest forums

and to barlowdog, you can be on a big record company and still be considered indie (not to over label everything) i know of at least one local chicago band on interscope records that I'm sure very few (if any) have heard of, and i know theres alot more of the same out there...
on the other side of things theres quite a few "pop" bands on indie labels... i think zoomerang named a couple

Pretty much everything I like is indie:

The Church -- Cooking Vinyl/SpinArt/Shock (they have been on major labels before though :rolleyes: )
Art Of Fighting -- Trifekta
Gersey -- Trifekta
Steve Kilbey (various indies, including Red Eye and Ryko, now on Karmic Hit, a label he started and his brother runs. I think he finally ran out of labels owned by people he had fallings out with)
Sleepwell -- Horsethief Records
Isidore -- Karmic Hit/Brash
Marty Willson-Piper -- Heyday
Miss V; Pugwash; Halogen; JLK -- et.al., on Karmic Hit
I do like Remy Zero and they were on a major label, but they broke up and now the various former members' projects (like Sleepwell and Isidore) are all on indie labels

Essentially what I like tends to be on indie labels, but I don't like everything on indie labels, if that makes sense.

Indie, not-indie, who cares.

I can honestly say that very few bands of any kind interest or inspire me in any way whatsoever.

Those that do, I have already covered in past threads. Some of them are 'indie' and some of them aren't, but all of them are beyond definition.

I love alot of music whether it happens to be Head Automatica, REM, The Cure, Joy Division, The Chalets, Ambulance LTD, The Dears or Bob Marley I'm Indie, I'm a corporate whore, I love music,
GENRE's are for narrow minded fools who have to label everything but I do not

OK so I love alot of stuff praise be:wink:

learn2kneel said:
when i think of indie assholes i think of people on radiohead elitest forums

and to barlowdog, you can be on a big record company and still be considered indie (not to over label everything) i know of at least one local chicago band on interscope records that I'm sure very few (if any) have heard of, and i know theres alot more of the same out there...
on the other side of things theres quite a few "pop" bands on indie labels... i think zoomerang named a couple

Learn to Kneel,

Agreed. Many bands are considered indie that are on major labels. Many publications, including that beacon of indie cred Rolling Stone, still make reference to Modest Mouse as an indie band though they've been with Sony/Epic for more than five years. However, I personally refer to relatively unknown bands on major labels as underground because to me indie implies they are on an independent label.

To answer the original question, some of my fave bands (indie or not) include:
Death Cab
The Wrens
Jealous Sound
Modest Mouse
Bright Eyes
Radiohead

and was always a fan of (excuse the label) post punk stuff like At the Drive In, Fugazi, Archers of Loaf, Husker Du, etc.

I forgot to mention Arcade Fire. Anyone here into them? I saw them play Philly back in November. Incredible record and great live band.

Back
Top Bottom