Indie Music Lovers (that also like U2)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
barlowdog said:
I forgot to mention Arcade Fire. Anyone here into them? I saw them play Philly back in November. Incredible record and great live band.

take a look around B&C... you will know if we love or not The Arcade Fire

In the grand scheme of things...you like what you like. Here's a few "indie" bands you should check out...
The Gunshy
The Arcade Fire
Aereogramme
Porcupine Tree
Drive By Truckers
D-Rangers
Sun Kil Moon (the guy from Red House Painters)
American Music Club
Robyn Hitchcock
Modest Mouse
Buck 65
that's just a few - check em' out if you have the time

I've seen some on here, but others, I don't think so.....

Copeland (great up-and-coming young band, from Atlanta)
The Finn Brothers (Neil's solo stuff is awesome, but their newest CD - Everyone is Here - is grrrreat)
Iona (Irish band, epic in scope)
Hooverphonic (blissful)
Joseph Arthur
Interpol
Radiohead
Afghan Whigs (oh for the day, but for now, Twilight Singers will do)
Blue States
Boards of Canada
The La's (what a great ONE record they had!)
Mute Math (awesome new band)
Lamb
Frou Frou
South

some of these might be "indie" and others could be too mainstream, but these are a good cross-view of what I like.... oh, and Wes Anderson movies are good stuff.

seankirkland said:
I've seen some on here, but others, I don't think so.....

Copeland (great up-and-coming young band, from Atlanta)
The Finn Brothers (Neil's solo stuff is awesome, but their newest CD - Everyone is Here - is grrrreat)
Iona (Irish band, epic in scope)
Hooverphonic (blissful)
Joseph Arthur
Interpol
Radiohead
Afghan Whigs (oh for the day, but for now, Twilight Singers will do)
Blue States
Boards of Canada
The La's (what a great ONE record they had!)
Mute Math (awesome new band)
Lamb
Frou Frou
South

some of these might be "indie" and others could be too mainstream, but these are a good cross-view of what I like.... oh, and Wes Anderson movies are good stuff.

iona sound really, really familiar. i think they might have played a scottish festival here.

I like a number of bands that would probably be considered indie, such as Elliott Smith, The Pixies, Modest Mouse, Nada Surf, Death Cab, The Postal Service, The Format, Radiohead, The Arcade Fire, The Velvet Underground, The Flaming Lips, XTC, The Talking Heads, the Jesus and Mary Chain, At the Drive-In, and David Bowie.

Although, I wouldn't call myself totally part of the indie crowd. Mainly because of my obsession with U2. Well, that and Third Eye Blind being my favorite band of all time. That might have something to do with it, too. :wink:

Use of "indie" to mean anything other than "music on an independent label" is stupid.

Indie means poor. Once they make $, they're sellouts, and corporate. It's quite simple. There is a $ amount used in the indie formula, but it's an industry secret.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
Use of "indie" to mean anything other than "music on an independent label" is stupid.

That's the definition I use for indie. That's why I included the labels the bands/musicians I listed are on. I'd still like the artists if they were on major labels (hell, I became a fan of my very favorite band -- The Church -- when they were on Arista), but truth is I tend to like bands that don't have broad commercial appeal.

Although, an indie musician/group gets bonus indie points for having an independent distribution agent also. ;)

j/k on that last comment, you know. :wink:

Flying FuManchu said:
Let me ask a question to the indie fans who listen to fairly obscure bands...

Would artists like Jeff Beck, Marvin Sease, Alison Krauss/ Union Station, Gillian Welch, or Emmylou Harris be considered as indie as say Aereogramme?

If they are on an independent label, they are indie. If they are on a major label, they aren't indie. Pretty simple.

What is the revenue figure used to seperate "indie" labels from "corporate" labels? There must be that $1 tipping point where you switch from one to another.

rem and sonic youth all were "indie" at one point.

it's just one of those amazing things that defies all description. :sexywink:

MrBrau1 said:
What is the revenue figure used to seperate "indie" labels from "corporate" labels? There must be that $1 tipping point where you switch from one to another.

If it's run out of some guy's bedroom...it's indie.

A decent definition of the differences between indie and major label is
here

some excerpts:

Indie Label: By the purest industry definition, an independent label is a record label that is not affiliated in any way with a Major Label, and uses independent distributors to get their releases into stores.

Major Label: By industry definition, a major label is a label that commands a high percentage of the annual sales of records, and has their own distribution system (the Big 5 distribution companies currently are: WEA. BMG, SONY, UMVG, and EMD.)

Last edited:
Yeah, I want to see Copeland play live; I've heard they're great in concert ("When Paula Sparks" must be dynamite in a live setting) and I'm here in Atlanta, so I figure they'll play hometown soon.... I always get "Arcade Fire" and "Fire Theft" mixed up... isn't "Fire Theft" Jeremy Enigk's latest band? I've heard of Muse, KoC, Mae, and Sleeping at Last, but none of the others..... thanks for the heads up...

seankirkland said:
Yeah, I want to see Copeland play live; I've heard they're great in concert ("When Paula Sparks" must be dynamite in a live setting) and I'm here in Atlanta, so I figure they'll play hometown soon.... I always get "Arcade Fire" and "Fire Theft" mixed up... isn't "Fire Theft" Jeremy Enigk's latest band? I've heard of Muse, KoC, Mae, and Sleeping at Last, but none of the others..... thanks for the heads up...

the fire theft is sunny day real estate minus a bass player (i think hes in foo fighters)
also:
the good life = cursive
the gloria record = mineral

I agree that "indie" defies definition. Its post-modern word. Just trying to define "indie" makes you incapable of doing so. THat being said here are some of my favorite bands.

Dismemberment Plan, Built to Spil, Interpol, White Stripes, Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, Shins, Hives, Black Keys, Jawbox, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, Wilco

My 2nd favorite band to U2 is a band called Wheat. Unfortunately I think their "indie," status (i.e. poor as someone said) has caused them to go on temporary hiatus. I usually don't like to plug bands in other forums, but 9 out of 10 people I refered to Wheat absolutely love them!!

www.wheatmusic.com

-Waz

Back
Top Bottom