Indie Music & Its Place In Rock History - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #16
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:42 PM
Arcade Fire concerts sold out in 2 minutes and their album debuted at number 2 on the billboard chart. i'd say that's at least relatively to extremely mainstream..

Old 04-02-2007, 09:09 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:42 PM
When will people realize that Indie has nothing to do with popularity? It's just a label...literally.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:53 AM   #18
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:42 PM
indie means different things to different people.
but there is definitely an 'indie' subculture, which makes it relatively real if difficult to define.. and what isn't difficult to define. nothing! nothing's not difficult to define, that's what.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 08:42 PM
Indie is... A state of mind... I guess Indie music can be famous too... There is a lot of indie culture around nowadays and not only in terms of music... Clothes, the way some people face life, books...

I consider Arcade Fire an Indie rock band, and their populary has something to do with that too... they know how to use that status and they do it almost perfectly.

Belle & Sebastian is a great band wich I consider Indie too... They're not near as popular as Arcade but there are a lot of people who love their childlike style.

There's also The Fiery Furnaces, even The Killers, in spite of the great popularity, they have Indie influencies, and I think they'll be in history of music...

So yeah... I think Indie Music can be in history but they will not be reported as that because Indie is not a music genre, it's many other things...
Old 04-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK
Arcade Fire concerts sold out in 2 minutes and their album debuted at number 2 on the billboard chart. i'd say that's at least relatively to extremely mainstream..
Rabid fanbase + digital sales + small concert venues. It's manufactured hype, from one way of looking at it. It's not intentional, of course, but Neon Bible dropped from #2 like a rock after the first week of sales. It's a very telltale statistic.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

As far as I'm concerned you're "Indie" if you're signed to an Independent label, and you're not if you aren't. Simple as that. At least as far as artists are concerned. And I don't really buy into the whole "Indie subculture" bullshit either.