Indian food - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 02:32 PM
Indian food

So my coworkers have invited me to go eat Indian food with them tomorrow for lunch, but I have never had it before. I do not do well with spicy foods at all. Any recommendations on what to eat?

Old 03-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:32 PM
indian food

not of all it is super spicy. for an appetizer, samosas are pastries stuffed with meat or potatoes and veggies, and they're divine. usually you can order mild instead of hot ones, too.

for the main course, i'd recommend butter chicken. it has nothing to do with butter--it's simmered in a yummy tomato cream sauce that's mildly spiced, and it's to die for. i've never seen anyone not love it, whether they like indian food or not.

if you don't feel like chicken, daal makhni is a brown lentil dish in a yummy sauce that isn't too spicy, and it's also deelish. especially with basmati rice.

whatever you order, get a side of naan bread. it's a flatbread that goes amazingly with everything.

damn, now i'm hungry, lol. hope you enjoy!

Old 03-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I actually don't really enjoy Indian food because I can't eat spicy things and I am also lactose intolerant. If you have any kind of lactose intolerance, Indian food can be deadly because they tend to cook with milk and yogurt a lot, so keep that in mind.

My favourite Indian dish is toor daal, which is a lentil dish that can be served as a really thick soup or you can thicken it into more of a paste and eat it with rice. It's really tasty.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
great so I should take some pepto with me.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Definitely go for the mild samosas. I can eat samosas until they come out of my ears. They're the only Indian food I can handle.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Definitely go for the mild samosas. I can eat samosas until they come out of my ears. They're the only Indian food I can handle.
I've always wanted to try those
Old 03-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

those do sound pretty good.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:32 PM
at a good indian restaurant, they should ask you how you would like your food spiced, so ask for very mild.

like dandy said, butter chicken is always very good, as is chicken korma, which is very similar, but the sauce isn't as tomatoey.

if you get rice, get saffron rice.

you can get what's called raita, which is yogurt mixed with diced cucumber and sometimes tomatoes. if you're finding the curry too hot, you can mix it with the raita to tone it down a bit. i love the flavour combination.

definitely get samosas, and naan for dipping.

i should just invite you to my parents' house for dinner!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

yeah please do!

Stupid me didn't eat much when I was at my cousin wedding. He married a girl from India and had all sorts of food that her family made. I did a fine job of remembering that night.

I should print this thread out and take with me!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:32 PM
Damn, you guys have covered everything! There's nothing left for me to suggest..

Samosas are probably my favorite appetizer! Although... some of the 'chaat' items are delicious too.. like Bhel Puri, Sev Puri, Pav Bhaji etc. Of course they are considered closer to fast food.

For the main course, Chili Chicken or Butter Chicken are definitely good choices! The words 'chili chicken' may scare you.. but just ask for mild spicing! If you want to stick with vegetarian, you could go for Cholay Baturay which is basically a huge fried puffed up pancake sorta thing w/ chick pea gravy served with slices of onion and a slice of lime on the side (optional) It's one of my favorite dishes!

And as lmj said, raita is awesome and can help balance the hot food! Ooh... or you could try 'dahi vada' which is basically a fried doughnut sort of thing (not sweet, salty!) in curd/yoghurt w/ a few mild spices and garnishing.

Along with these dishes, you could either get basmati rice or naan.. usually. Some places may serve an alternate pancake sorta thing called Kulcha which is so good!

Of course, this is all just North Indian cuisine. South Indian cuisine is a whole different world of it's own! You may not be able to find south indian restaurants that easily though, unless you're living in NJ or CA. Okay, I think I've rambled enough.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:45 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I've never really had Indian food, but in Tanzania, where there is lots of Indian influence, everywhere we went we were offered samosas. I was already sick from bad water, and I ate so many samosas....it was bad, but they were sooooooo good

My friend makes butter chicken, but for all of it's good/spicy smells, it's almost flavorless to me. Still good though!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:48 PM   #12
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
South Indian cuisine is a whole different world of it's own! You may not be able to find south indian restaurants that easily though, unless you're living in NJ or CA.
Dosa Hut

Unfortunately for me, I now live in southern Indiana...
Old 03-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:32 PM
I've never been to an indian restaurant

but i have an indian friend who is a wonderful cook and has taught me how to make a few things. She always says i'll never find the good homemade foods in a restaurant so that's why i never go

I can make a good samosa
Old 03-06-2006, 11:55 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:32 PM
and definitely get a REAL chai at the end of your meal!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:32 PM
how could i have forgetten the chai? :slapsforehead:

chai