Indian food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
indian food :drool:

not of all it is super spicy. for an appetizer, samosas are pastries stuffed with meat or potatoes and veggies, and they're divine. usually you can order mild instead of hot ones, too. :drool:

for the main course, i'd recommend butter chicken. it has nothing to do with butter--it's simmered in a yummy tomato cream sauce that's mildly spiced, and it's to die for. i've never seen anyone not love it, whether they like indian food or not. :drool:

if you don't feel like chicken, daal makhni is a brown lentil dish in a yummy sauce that isn't too spicy, and it's also deelish. especially with basmati rice. :drool:

whatever you order, get a side of naan bread. it's a flatbread that goes amazingly with everything. :drool:

damn, now i'm hungry, lol. hope you enjoy!

I actually don't really enjoy Indian food because I can't eat spicy things and I am also lactose intolerant. If you have any kind of lactose intolerance, Indian food can be deadly because they tend to cook with milk and yogurt a lot, so keep that in mind.

My favourite Indian dish is toor daal, which is a lentil dish that can be served as a really thick soup or you can thicken it into more of a paste and eat it with rice. It's really tasty.

Definitely go for the mild samosas. :up: I can eat samosas until they come out of my ears. They're the only Indian food I can handle.

GibsonGirl said:
Definitely go for the mild samosas. :up: I can eat samosas until they come out of my ears. They're the only Indian food I can handle.
I've always wanted to try those :drool:

at a good indian restaurant, they should ask you how you would like your food spiced, so ask for very mild.

like dandy said, butter chicken is always very good, as is chicken korma, which is very similar, but the sauce isn't as tomatoey.

if you get rice, get saffron rice. :drool:

you can get what's called raita, which is yogurt mixed with diced cucumber and sometimes tomatoes. if you're finding the curry too hot, you can mix it with the raita to tone it down a bit. i love the flavour combination.

definitely get samosas, and naan for dipping.

i should just invite you to my parents' house for dinner! :lol:

Damn, you guys have covered everything! There's nothing left for me to suggest.. :lol:

Samosas are probably my favorite appetizer! :drool: Although... some of the 'chaat' items are delicious too.. like Bhel Puri, Sev Puri, Pav Bhaji etc. Of course they are considered closer to fast food.

For the main course, Chili Chicken or Butter Chicken are definitely good choices! The words 'chili chicken' may scare you.. but just ask for mild spicing! If you want to stick with vegetarian, you could go for Cholay Baturay which is basically a huge fried puffed up pancake sorta thing w/ chick pea gravy served with slices of onion and a slice of lime on the side (optional) It's one of my favorite dishes! :drool: :drool: :drool:

And as lmj said, raita is awesome and can help balance the hot food! Ooh... or you could try 'dahi vada' which is basically a fried doughnut sort of thing (not sweet, salty!) in curd/yoghurt w/ a few mild spices and garnishing.

Along with these dishes, you could either get basmati rice or naan.. usually. Some places may serve an alternate pancake sorta thing called Kulcha which is so good! :drool:

Of course, this is all just North Indian cuisine. South Indian cuisine is a whole different world of it's own! You may not be able to find south indian restaurants that easily though, unless you're living in NJ or CA. Okay, I think I've rambled enough. :wink:

I've never really had Indian food, but in Tanzania, where there is lots of Indian influence, everywhere we went we were offered samosas. I was already sick from bad water, and I ate so many samosas....it was bad, but they were sooooooo good :drool:

My friend makes butter chicken, but for all of it's good/spicy smells, it's almost flavorless to me. Still good though!

Zootlesque said:
South Indian cuisine is a whole different world of it's own! You may not be able to find south indian restaurants that easily though, unless you're living in NJ or CA.
Dosa Hut :drool:

Unfortunately for me, I now live in southern Indiana... :angry:

I've never been to an indian restaurant :reject:

but i have an indian friend who is a wonderful cook and has taught me how to make a few things. She always says i'll never find the good homemade foods in a restaurant so that's why i never go :huh:

I can make a good samosa :up:

If you like spinach, try the Paneer Saag. It's kinda like creamed spinach, but the paneer part is a special cheese that is cooked with the Saag (spinach). It's usually a solid piece of cheese and is very good. :drool:

Then there's Tandoori chicken. It's chicken that's been coated in yogurt and then grilled. It's reddish in color and deeeelicious. :up:

see if they have chicken or beef tandoori or something with peanut butter sauce.

You people are making me hungry. :( Butter chicken sounds delicious.

dandy said:
indian food :drool:

for the main course, i'd recommend butter chicken. it has nothing to do with butter--it's simmered in a yummy tomato cream sauce that's mildly spiced, and it's to die for. i've never seen anyone not love it, whether they like indian food or not. :drool:

This is my favorite Indian dish!!!!!

:drool:

Vindaloos are too hot for me, but i do have a chicken madras from time to time&i've been really into onion bhajis with yummy spicy dips! :drool: :drool: i really love pakora too :love:

dandy said:

so where does the butter come from, or is it just some goofy translation issue?

i'll come visit you. first i'll stalk you in your office when you don't expect anyone to be there, then we'll get indian food, and i will be that person who doesn't love it. :angry:

IWasBored said:

so where does the butter come from, or is it just some goofy translation issue?

i'll come visit you. first i'll stalk you in your office when you don't expect anyone to be there, then we'll get indian food, and i will be that person who doesn't love it. :angry:

:madwife:

i don't know why they call it butter chicken when there's no butter in it. but it is good, and you will like it!1!111!! :angry:

oh, and we can go watch brokeback mountain, too. which i will also hate.

it will be the anti-social social event of the year! we can take pictures and post every single one on this site!!

we can take pictures of other people and pretend they're us. the important part is that we spam images!

Back
Top Bottom