"In This Time, Especially Post 9-11, Blah blah..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do You Agree With My Opinion On 9-11?

• Yes

Votes: 44 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Not Sure/No Opinion

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

DethVeggy

french-tickling sausage eater
Is anyone else tired of tributes and people endlessly invoking this?

To clarify even to the most banal, I AM NOT DIMINISHING THE TRAGEDY OR MEANING TO INSULT ANYONE'S MEMORY.

However, I grow very sick of celebrities, politicians, artists, the homeless, pizza delivery people, and my cat invoking something terrible every time they want to pull my heart strings in order to get my-attention, vote, attention, money, tip, cat food.

I actually think the more it gets used, the less impact the actual memory has on people. It's getting to be American-ized. It's like the Big Mac of tragedy.

Why do we have to run things into the ground? Why do I see idiotic blond sorority girls proudly wearing "FDNY" tube tops? Why??

Remember the events with a solemn respect. Not an ad campaign.

One more time for the cheap seats-NOT TAKING ANYTHING AWAY FROM THE HORRIBLE TRAGEDY!!

Thoughts?

*falls to knees pounding the ground with my fist*

yesyesyesyesyes!

I am SO sick of the whole fricking 9/11 bandwagon! Yes, it was a horrible thing that I think about a lot more than I want to, but to see all these wannabes in their SUVs driving around with "FDNY" stickers on their cars makes me sick!

I completely agree with you: the more it's used, the less impact it has.

Grr...Don't get me started on how irritating the bumper stickers I see are...they're not clever, and, GUESS WHAT?? We'll Never Forget?? No kidding....

FDNY, NYPD, DKNY, C'mon, man. Just stop slapping crap on your car and actually do something for the world other than "not forget"

I just saw a family of tourists walk by my office (near ground 0) and the kids had on "Ground Zero 2002" visors. I almost beat them to suhbmission...

I agree that with all this people are becoming desensitized to what happened. Personally I find all the T-shirts, bumper stickers, hats, etc... just a way for greedy, moral and ethically challenged retailers to make of buck off of this. I no longer see signs that say: All proceeds go to the Fireman's fund charity, Red Cross, or whatever. It makes me wonder where the money is actually going to.

Also with the T-Shirts, etc.. it has a touristy sentiment like a Disney World T shirt, rather than a more thoughtful and somber sentiment.

That "Ground Zero 2002" hat really disturbs me, it's like "Wow, for my summer vacation we went to NYC.... we went to the Bronx Zoo, the Empire State Building, Ground Zero, and The Metropolitian Art Musuem, and I got all these nifty souveniors."

You know what gets me is how everyone goes on and on about how "wonderful" it is that everybody is so patriotic after 9/11. I would much rather have back our nation's pre-9/11 patriotism level (which was still pretty high overall without being obnoxious and commercialized like it is now) AND have all the people who were killed that day still alive.

Yeah, I was just in New York City last month and everyone has those Groun Zero shirts on. It really is weird. Its like "Oh, thousands of people died, so lets show that off by wearing these shirts!"

And the news too, I have to agree with the Daly Show[whoo] would there be less terroist in Ameirca if they stopped showing how to make 'dirty bombs'?

I had no idea there were "Ground Zero 2002" hats and shirts. How tacky and tasteless can people be? Even if every penny went to 9/11 charities(doubtful)..its still too tacky, just give a donation rather than wear such an item.

I agree completely.

I think the worst I've seen yet is a whole 9/11 store in a mall -- full of merchandise that is patriotic and says things like "We'll never forget" and such. :tsk:

Last edited:
I totally agree with you on all this. The "patriotism" that supposedly abounds these days just seems so manufactured and commercialized. Of course, we're all upset that 3,000 people were killed, but does that mean that we all have to go run out and buy bumper stickers, t-shirts, etc? And I also can't stand it when people start chanting "USA! USA!" at big events. The rest of the world already thinks the US is obnoxious- do we have to prove them right?

Giant Lemon said:
I totally agree with you on all this. The "patriotism" that supposedly abounds these days just seems so manufactured and commercialized. Of course, we're all upset that 3,000 people were killed, but does that mean that we all have to go run out and buy bumper stickers, t-shirts, etc? And I also can't stand it when people start chanting "USA! USA!" at big events. The rest of the world already thinks the US is obnoxious- do we have to prove them right?

ditto!

I totally agree with everything y'all stated. I mean, even at the frickin' All-Star game, which is what...9 months after?":eyebrow:...they had a tribute!

:|
:barf:

My problem is with our vocabulary. The word 'hero' means nothing anymore...I saw a thing in a magazine where it said "Robin Williams was a 'hero' because he gave blood!":ohmy: I'm sure if Mr. Williams saw that he would be mortified...he was no more a hero than anyone else who gave blood!! I'm sure it might have encouraged someone who saw the picture to give...but to call him a hero?

Also the phrase 'changed forever'. Quit using it. Say something else....say life will never be the same...say things are different now...say we can't go back...anything but 'changed forever'.

grrrrrrrr..........the commercialization of patritiotism cheapens it...

dream wanderer

ouizy said:
I just saw a family of tourists walk by my office (near ground 0) and the kids had on "Ground Zero 2002" visors. I almost beat them to suhbmission...

Oh that would piss me off to no end if I had to see that everyday. It blows my mind that people are selling shit like that for no other reason than to make a dollar off the lives of others that were tragically taken.

After 9-11 my boss wanted to run US flag colored pop ups to "catch the spirit," I almost flipped my lid on her when she told me that, I told her I would quit on the spot if she ran them among other things.

My roomie had 3 friends die on that day at the pentagon. Maybe his friends wife and baby daughter would like one of those shirts do they do not forget.

No one will ever forget that day, the people who are out to make $$ off of it make me ill.

Know what pisses me off??? People displaying the American flag improperly...tattered...torn...upside down...

Good intentions gone bad.

As far as our behavior post September 11, we haven't changed much. We used to put our flag out in the morning and take it in at night. Now we have a timed spotlight out so that the flag is always lit up at night, and we leave it out 24/7 (I did take it in during some particularly bad storms though).

I have pride for my country, but it's the same pride I've always had. I do have a lot of admiration for the brave people who came to the rescue during this tragic time, but I prefer a more internal admiration...I don't need to display it/show it off.

*edited because I have problems spelling* :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bonochick said:
Know what pisses me off??? People displaying the American flag improperly...tattered...torn...upside down...

Good intentions gone bad.

I agree BC!

Besides agreeing with what everyone here has said, another thing I'm tired of hearing about is "how the FBI could have done this differently" or "how the CIA could have done that differently" or whatever.

In hind-sight sure we can see the mistakes made and how the pieces of the puzzle fit together and try to put the blame somewhere. But as good as these agencies are, or will ever be, there is no way to prevent attacks 100% of the time.

I mean sure, things could have been handled differently, there are changes that need to be made, we live in a different world now, but I get tired of hearing about every report that had some slight indication from being scrutinized.

Boy do I get sick of this. Nevermind the fact that I live in a conservative church going half yuppie half cowboy hell hole. Nevermind the fact that America has been oppressing the third world since we found Japan. Bring on the FLAGS! GOD BLESS AMERICA! YEAH!

Yeah...right. I've never been very patriotic in the first place, and all this plus my own reading has intensified that. I HATE when some one says "but don't you love your freedom?" Yes, I do, and I realize this is one of the very few countries on Earth I could live like I do, but if my freedom was bought at the price of no health care, food and living space for hundreds and thousands of humans, I can honestly say I don't want it. Yes, I love my freedom, and I don't want it taken away.

I think a big thing with the whole flag thing is the impression that Bin-Laden was somehow striking at democracy, human rights and freedom, motherhood and apple pie. No, actually, Bin-Laden made an economic move, that's all. If he wanted to make a symbolic move, the Statue of Liberty is within eye-shot of the WTC. Bin Laden didn't strike American freedom, we did that ourselves.

Well I guess coming from a country that has been at war itself, and innocent pple blown-up, shot, etc...........well over a hundred.............

u could say we've never sold t-shirts blah blah, to say, 'Remember Omagh', or anything...............that would be seen as poor poor taste.........

if anything, memorials each year on its anniversary...............we have never displayed great big posters of 'promoting the pain of it all' on anything.................just the News, or else we remember them in mind, or prayer...............

sorry, if I said somethin offending there......but I am with this thread...................keeping it out there is turning it into a one-big-huge-event-like-it-was-the-only-worst-event-ever................yes it was seriously tragic...........but look what else has been happenin worldwide for years eh?

Last edited:
What I truly cannot stand is the constant ass-kissing of the FDNY after 9/11. What did everybody think the fire department did pre 9/11...sit in the firehouse and knit sweaters????? No, they ALWAYS risked their lives and ALWAYS were courageous heroes.

I was at an FDNY benefit the other night and some woman next to me was talking to a firefighter and she said to him, "I've wanted to give a firefighter a hug since 9/11 and I haven't gotten a chance. Can I give you a hug now???"

Puleeeezeee! I wonder if she ever thought of giving a F.F. a hug before 9/11 ever happened.

You know what else I can't stand???? I guess this may only pertain to NYCers but after 9/11 everyone was all peace and love and kind to eachother. Everyone loved their neighbor.

Now it's back to the same old city were people have no courtesy and are flipping eachother off in the street.:mad:

omigor, i thought i was like the only one who felt this way, lol. it is so freaking annoying. my opinion on this patriotism is the same as the confederist people here. i have no problem with people being proud of whatever, but this whole thing with people being compelled to cover their car for a nation they don't even really know all that much about. i mean, these are the same people that refuse to go out and vote in november cuz they're too busy. the people i see with confederate flags everywhere is completely different and i won't get that far off-topic, but i felt they were slightly related in my opinion towards them.

what loopy said about new yorkers is so true. on my way driving from maryland to tennessee, EVERY (i'm not kidding) fucking asshole driver i had, you know, the kind that think 85 in a 70 zone is too slow, cut me off and brake to get me to try to hit them, even the truckdrivers, ALL had new york license plates! i was surprised i didn't encounter more as i drove up north, but for some reason i didn't see any till i was southbound in virginia. :eyebrow:

anyway, as others have said, i am so sick and tired of all this FDNY and NYPD shirts, american flags on their cars and bumper stickers, ones saying "god bless america" (i almost lost it when i saw my grandfather had one, i have always had a big issue with that phrase), "we will never forget," even my dad has one with a george w. bush quote "we will win" or whatever. i screamed when i saw my dad had put an american flag on my car antenna and my mom had broke out the 7/4 decorations in september and put static cling flags on my car. :mad:

i know a lot of people who were around here when it happened knew i pretty much had this point of view even then. i guess it was because i knew even though this was a horrible, tragic thing to have happen, i knew america would jump on the bandwagon.

now, all the channels have fit flags into every square inch they can (especially fox news, but i won't get into it) and have tributes to everything american waaaay too often. for example, the price is right has had like three prime time specials within the past month or so, all to different armed forces. i have no problem with it, since they are working hard to defend our country, but my problem is...where was this stuff before 9/11?

</rant>

ouizy said:

and you didn't because....no, i agree with reminding them that 3000 people died that day. it's all fine and well if they want to go and see it, but perhaps they should keep in mind what they are looking at.

i am still sad about it. sometimes i still cry when i think about it, it still hurts.

and yes, when i see people use it to conjure up a tone that whatever they're saying is more worth my time than it was before...i want to beat them :mad:

Yeah, the over use of the American Flags is also annoying. On my yearbook this year, instead of my school's logo on the cover there was this giant flag and at the botton it had everyones favorite line We Will Not Forget :mad: I was so pissed off.

I got mad at my aunt also, she has this huge flag sticker on the hood of her car, it looks pretty stupid if you ask me.

"I know I'll win my battles though I fear we'll lose the war to the new American way."-Dropkick Murphys

Last edited:
MiniFly said:
No, actually, Bin-Laden made an economic move, that's all. If he wanted to make a symbolic move, the Statue of Liberty is within eye-shot of the WTC.

what about the plane that hit pentagon? and the third plane probably going after the white house or the capitol? were those also economic moves? i think not.

I agree with Bonochick about the flag.

And I agree with U2ME3 about bin Laden's reasons; for all we know, the attacks were political, ethnic, religious, AND economic moves.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
And I agree with U2ME3 about bin Laden's reasons; for all we know, the attacks were political, ethnic, religious, AND economic moves.

~U2Alabama

And I agree with Bama and U2ME3.

As for the post 9/11 bandwagon, yes, its starting to get to me too. I sat down to watch the ESPY's last night and right in the middle, we get a 10 minute tribute to the heros of flight 93...because they loved sports and played college athletics. It just seemed really weird on what was supposed to be a sports awards show. Half the audience looked like they were forcing themselves to cry and the other half looked bored or confused. I was just uncomfortable watching it. My husband and I discussed the fact that there were 40 or so other people on this plane and these 4 have been singled out for sainthood. I'm not in any way diminishing what they did but its been 10 months and what more can be said that hasn't been said already? I saw it as just a blatant attempt by ESPN to play on the emotions of the viewers in exchange for big ratings.

I have noticed that most of the flags in my neighborhood have been taken down but I'm really disgusted everytime I walk into a store and see flag shirts, flag bathing suits, flag towels, flag dinnerwear, flag hats, flag napkins and placemats. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a red, white and blue bad dream...that's all you see!

I haven't seen anyone in a ground zero shirt but I wouldn't wear one...I think its tacky. Really, who in their right mind needs to see a T-shirt or bumper sticker to remind them of what happened?

Final thought...I've been wondering this for quite a while, but why the huge focus on NYFD only? Yes, they lost an obscene amount of firefighters, but what about the NYPD, the Port Authority Police, Cantor-Fitzgerald for crying out loud??? All of these other companies and agencies have been completely overshadowed by the obessesion with the NYFD.

:(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom