In the words of Kramer: "I'M OUT."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I'm leaving Interference, I've really just had enough of it really...some people can be likeable at times but a majority of the time this place just gets on my nerves...

I'm tired of being at such a restrictive forum that makes you PAY if you want to read profiles! perform the most basic of searches! view attachments and loads more you get for FREE on ANY other forum it's insane...I don't care how big the forum is, there are MUCH better things you could think of for making us pay for a 'membership'...I'm a member of quite a few forums that are twice the size of interference and don't charge a penny, so the whole size issue is bullshit.

And I know some Mod will just come in here and say 'No-one's making you pay. Don't want to pay? Then DON'T...blah blah blah,' (no pun) and that brings me to another point...mods here are FAR too defensive whenever you question something to do with the forum...and ride around the forum on a self-righteous high horse closing threads as they see fit when they've had the last word, damning any right of reply, and basically being blunt with people asking perfectly reasonable questions and acting as if we should all know better...!

I hope you all have a nice time, but I think I need to carry on posting somewhere where opinions are heard and respected rather than wasting time I could be spending there, here...I do hope the forum cleans up it's act, introduces things WORTH paying for and admits what a crock of horse-shit that whole Edge incident was...I can't believe people would abuse the trust of U2's fans like that...

don't worry, I shan't be checking back for replies so perhaps a mod would like to come in, say how silly I am for questioning the forum and close the topic. :Wink:

Bye :wave:

Ps. If Jick isn't already back on the forums under another name (do an IP check, I guess) BRING HIM BACK. Seriously, people like him and StarvinMarvin are what made this forum interesting. I like people who can see the bad points and be honest about things instead of constantly gushing...

Seems like this should have gone into the suggestion box.

As far as other forums, I dont know their financial model so I cant comment on them. A lot of video game sites make A LOT of money in advertising, however.. since you havent mentioned what type of forums.. again, I cant comment.

$12 a year, is what some people spend in a day (or two) at Starbucks. To have this community self-supported was the objective, and I'd urge for you to find/read the original threads discussing this.

Your rehashing of subjects that have already been addressed over and over, without reading about them, and making an informed commentary isnt something I'm going to spend my time replying to.

The basic message that I got from your post is that this place isnt worth $1 a month to you. Everything else you said seems inflamatory.

Joel

i LOVE interference, even when it pisses me off

elvis is right. twelve dollars is nothing in comparison to the wonderful things this site has given me. i've met and made friends with more people here than in my entire life. and just look at all of our lovely couples.

i'd also like to say that the mods are some of the best people on this site, and they do try to be very fair, even in some of the worst situations.

yes, there are days when this place makes me want to hurl my mac over the balcony. but there is a simple solution for that - log off for a while.

and seriously, who brings fake edge up after all this time. :wink:

:heart: interference

thanks, guys.

and i didn't even mention my journal. do not get me started on how much i love the journals. the fact that this place provides me with a place where i can write whatever i want and i know that i am going to get positive support and feedback, that's worth waaay more than twelve dollars a year. actually, access to that forum is free!

blahblahblah said:
I do hope the forum cleans up it's act, introduces things WORTH paying for and admits what a crock of horse-shit that whole Edge incident was...I can't believe people would abuse the trust of U2's fans like that...
uh, unless you were here under another name, you weren't even around for the whole edge debacle. so what the hell are you complaining about?
I like people who can see the bad points and be honest about things instead of constantly gushing...
have you even read half of the replies in this place???

yeah, anyway. bye.

and ditto, bg: :heart: journals :heart:

What I love is people who don't know what they're talking about (truly) think they have it all figured out. Or that they think mods/zine staff just sit around gazing at their navels every day doing the evil plotter laugh thinking that we think we are hot shit.

That's fucking hilarious.

The truth is that we are normal people who have regular jobs and lives and friends who just happen to love U2 and fellow U2 fans SO MUCH that we CHOOSE to dedicate what little precious free time (and work time) to having a great place for U2 fans to congregate and oh yeah, produce stories that U2 fans want to read since Propaganda didn't care to do that.

If people want to dredge up the past, go ahead. I have nothing to hide, and I certainly didn't deceive anyone. Some asshole out there did, and we all got fucked for it. I am not a liar and I am not an asshole. But it's people like the lovely person who started this thread that have convinced me that I don't want to be here much longer either - which is why I'm leaving the site later this year. But not because I don't enjoy undeserved shit being thrown at me or the amazing mods - it's because I no longer care to allow that to take up any of my life. I graduated middle school a long time ago and have nothing else to prove to anyone, let alone complete internet strangers that don't give two flying shit about me (or truth or manners) anyway.

You can't listen to reason with your mouth open and yapping.

HelloAngel said:
What I love is people who don't know what they're talking about (truly) think they have it all figured out. Or that they think mods/zine staff just sit around gazing at their navels every day doing the evil plotter laugh thinking that we think we are hot shit.

That's fucking hilarious.

The truth is that we are normal people who have regular jobs and lives and friends who just happen to love U2 and fellow U2 fans SO MUCH that we CHOOSE to dedicate what little precious free time (and work time) to having a great place for U2 fans to congregate and oh yeah, produce stories that U2 fans want to read since Propaganda didn't care to do that.

If people want to dredge up the past, go ahead. I have nothing to hide, and I certainly didn't deceive anyone. Some asshole out there did, and we all got fucked for it. I am not a liar and I am not an asshole. But it's people like the lovely person who started this thread that have convinced me that I don't want to be here much longer either - which is why I'm leaving the site later this year. But not because I don't enjoy undeserved shit being thrown at me or the amazing mods - it's because I no longer care to allow that to take up any of my life. I graduated middle school a long time ago and have nothing else to prove to anyone, let alone complete internet strangers that don't give two flying shit about me (or truth or manners) anyway.

You can't listen to reason with your mouth open and yapping.

Seems you feel a bit sore over issues like this, but you do seem a bit harsh? Putting word's in blahblahblah's mouth almost.

Never mind the chap has gone now, lets let it all go.

People cant leave this site. I dont care what they say. And I'm willing to bet money that he wont leave unless he's banned. No one ever can.

Palace_Hero said:

Seems you feel a bit sore over issues like this, but you do seem a bit harsh? Putting word's in blahblahblah's mouth almost.

Anyone who works on this site has a right to be sore due to all the times we get unceremoniously kicked in the head on a daily basis due to various things and misunderstandings.

Harsh? No. Just expressing myself how I see fit. And no, I didn't put words in his mouth. My words around here don't really matter, and I certainly don't think they do more than anyone elses.

Sicy said:
People cant leave this site. I dont care what they say. And I'm willing to bet money that he wont leave unless he's banned. No one ever can.

That's a fairly pompous statement to make.

HelloAngel said:

Anyone who works on this site has a right to be sore due to all the times we get unceremoniously kicked in the head on a daily basis due to various things and misunderstandings.

Harsh? No. Just expressing myself how I see fit. And no, I didn't put words in his mouth. My words around here don't really matter, and I certainly don't think they do more than anyone elses.

I beg to differ. I feel a great deal of weight is placed on your (and your peer's) words, as I have come to realise recently. I certainly feel that others could take a negative stance on blahblahblah by taking a lead from your disapproval.

Just as blahblahblah is free to leave or buy a membership if he doesn't like his status, you are equally so free to quit your moderator position if it causes you such hassle.

randhail said:

I'm sorry, I've been here for almost 5 years, how bout you?

It's a pretty much a fact.

randhail said:

It's not a pompous statement at all, its a true statement. In the 4 years I've been here, I can't even tell you how many people have started a thread exactly like this one, only to be back a few days or sometimes weeks later. Sometimes it only lasts a few hours. People who go to great lengths to get themselves banned usually end up begging to come back or sneak back in with an alter.

Palace_Hero said:

I beg to differ. I feel a great deal of weight is placed on your (and your peer's) words, as I have come to realise recently. I certainly feel that others could take a negative stance on blahblahblah by taking a lead from your disapproval.

Just as blahblahblah is free to leave or buy a membership if he doesn't like his status, you are equally so free to quit your moderator position if it causes you such hassle.

I apologize if I came across that way. I have nothing against blahblahblah as a person or forum member. However it is possible to disagree and/or dislike something someone says rather than disliking the person. I don't wish to invite ire towards blahblahblah at all. He has every right to express himself and his aggravations against the forum and site. He made some valid criticisms, and suggestions on how to improve paid memberships are always welcome.

I can't simply walk away from something I made a commitment to 4 years ago to the fans. Keeping the main site (not the forum) fresh along with the zine takes time and energy and love and I am glad to do it. I do however, have a right to comment when things are said that are not accurate or true that people choose to continue to believe.

HelloAngel said:

I apologize if I came across that way. I have nothing against blahblahblah as a person or forum member. However it is possible to disagree and/or dislike something someone says rather than disliking the person. I don't wish to invite ire towards blahblahblah at all. He has every right to express himself and his aggravations against the forum and site. He made some valid criticisms, and suggestions on how to improve paid memberships are always welcome.

I can't simply walk away from something I made a commitment to 4 years ago to the fans. Keeping the main site (not the forum) fresh along with the zine takes time and energy and love and I am glad to do it. I do however, have a right to comment when things are said that are not accurate or true that people choose to continue to believe.

All that you have just said I do understand and was aware of. I'm glad you said it to because to me it came across in your first post that you were blowing off steam and I think this post confirms that to me.

Don't think for a second I was trying to encourage you to leave, you're one mod in particular I have noticed that does a top job and is very professional. Interference is richer for it.

Sicy said:

It's true. :yes:

When I first came here I didn't expect to post much or to stay long -- 18 months and 4417 posts later, I'm still here. :rolleyes: :D

Sicy said:

I'm sorry, I've been here for almost 5 years, how bout you?

It's a pretty much a fact.

It's true, people do leave and return...

However, I have noticed that those returning are not the same as they once were (which can be a good thing). The goals of the returning person are not the same as the reasons he/she had for originally joining Interference, which was often a sense of community. Sadly, that is often lost once a person leaves.

That said, I applaud the mods/admins here. There was a time when I could not say this, but I now feel that Interference has become one of the best U2 fan sites, with mods who are supportive, courteous and helpful. It's little wonder, then, that some mods here are offended by the comments written by the original poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom