In the words of Kramer: "I'M OUT."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
doctorwho said:

The goals of the returning person are not the same as the reasons he/she had for originally joining Interference, which was often a sense of community. Sadly, that is often lost once a person leaves.

That's what makes me the saddest about this place these days, much as I still love it...it's that too many of the noobs don't want a community. They want someplace where they can participate in popularity contests, make fun of people they don't know without any repercussion, and basically draw attention to themselves. They have no interest in building community; they don't care about the feelings of longtime members; they are inconsiderate, disrespectful, and just plain annoying.

Now, is this anyone who joined after I did? No, of course not. New blood is wonderful, and lots of newer members still bring fun, positivity, and kindness to Interference. I like quite a few of the newer members. But the nice-people-to-jackasses ratio is getting uncomfortably low, I fear. It didn't used to be this way.

Every forum will always have people who just want to spoil things for others. But I'm afraid that too few people here care about being a community anymore.

And that's sad.

doctorwho said:

It's true, people do leave and return...

However, I have noticed that those returning are not the same as they once were (which can be a good thing). The goals of the returning person are not the same as the reasons he/she had for originally joining Interference, which was often a sense of community. Sadly, that is often lost once a person leaves.

Do you think people join for the sense of community, or do they get that once they are here? I didn't feel any great sense of community when I joined...more of a "wow! lot's of threads to post in and things to discuss here" feeling. The people I've gotten to know (a bit) and enjoy came later. Maybe I'm just odd.

One more thing that I didn't make clear in my original post...while the mods can try to encourage community-building to some extent, it's a hard job when the community doesn't necessarily respond. I don't wish to blame the mods for this; I blame members who are variously averse to community-building, judging from their posts.

hey as long as were bringing up 'fake edge',

at least he was right about electric co and zoo station coming back :wink:

The sense of community doesn't have to come right away, but it's always great seeing fellow U2 fans respond to your words - knowing that you aren't alone in your views.

Unfortunately, there was a time that I felt the mods actually hurt this feeling of community. The mods sometimes hurt more than helped, which broke the sense of community.

But those events occurred years ago. I don't see this behavior from the mods at present in any capacity. Rather, I find all mods to be very responsive and receptive to suggestions. I feel that they are professional and courteous. It's because they are trying so hard that I feel some of them were hurt by this thread.

The community, of course, is what one makes of it... but those who leave usually do not return for that feeling of community any more. They (we) tend to return to gather information and tend to post on vastly different topics than they once did. At least these are my observations.

i happen to know (and miss) someone who did, indeed, leave. and while i know for a fact that this person still reads my journal, i know they will never post again.

of that i am sure.

Sicy said:

I'm sorry, I've been here for almost 5 years, how bout you?
It's a pretty much a fact.

I was trying to recall when I arrived :eek: I think it might have just been the anniversary? August 1st 2000?the horse's birthday. Now that really is 5 years :faint:
that may not be a fact, just a guess.

As beegee just said , I know and miss quite a few of the old regulars who lost faith in this place and moved elsewhere.I suppose that is why I am still here, lost in the corridors hoping they might return. But I doubt they will.

So I suppose I should be careful not to let that famous door hit me on the way out.
Take care blahblahblah, I'm sorry you have been made to feel that way.
Please if you feel differently at some later point, come ye back :)
Viva U2

blahblah, i don't think many people know who you are, nor will you be missed.

you're point isn't taken.

you signed up AFTER all these fees came into place, you knew that going in. you have no reason to complain.

goodbye, and please don't come back.

indra said:

Do you think people join for the sense of community, or do they get that once they are here? I didn't feel any great sense of community when I joined...more of a "wow! lot's of threads to post in and things to discuss here" feeling. The people I've gotten to know (a bit) and enjoy came later. Maybe I'm just odd.

:yes: I agree completely. The more you post, the more you find people who share your opinions and make friends. This place is good fun. And $12 really isn't much. It's the price of an evening at the movies plus some popcorn. I don't understand why blahblahblah feels the way he does. Too bad, he was a pretty cool guy otherwise. :wink:

PS: And Sicy is right. This place does pull you in. I took a break from this site when I went on vacation. Couldn't wait to log back in when I got back. It's addictive! :scream:

im relatively new here and when i joined i will say i wasnt looking to join a community of any sort(or meet anybody)

just simply talk about U2 with fellow fans

I love it here no matter what. I came here to find out more about trading for live U2 and not only did I get more live U2 than I ever thought existed but I made a lot of friends along the way. I met two of my closest friends I've ever had in my life on this website. I can guarantee that without them wouldn't be seeing U2 11 times this year, I wouldn't travel to strange cities only to sit on a sidewalk all day waiting for hours to maybe get a picture or an autograph of my favorite band, I wouldn't have gone to Ireland last month, gone 2 U2 fan conventions last year, or traveled to San Diego, Memphis, Phoenix and any place else we've been to in the past few years. I didn't come here thinking I would meet two people who would want to drop what they are doing to travel the country or to other counties with me but now I don't know what I would do without them in my life.

This website is the first thing I look at in the morning and the last thing I look at before I go to bed. :heart: Interference :heart: I hate when people who have only been here a few months start to complain about the way things are around here.

pax said:
New blood is wonderful, and lots of newer members still bring fun, positivity, and kindness to Interference. I like quite a few of the newer members.

:yes:. New people are fine so long as they act like mature adults. And of course, the same goes with people who've been here for a long time as well.

At another board I go to, though, I've heard people state a belief in which "newbie" isn't so much a description of how long you've been there as it is the attitude you present. Don't know who here would agree with that, but just something to put out there.

Originally posted by pax
But I'm afraid that too few people here care about being a community anymore.

And that's sad.

For what it's worth, I care about that. I haven't been a part of these boards for three years now for nothing, after all :).

Also, :up: to what bonosgirl84 and nbcrusader said.

I feel sad that some people are thinking of leaving, though :(. Don't let a few jerks ruin things for you-there are still good people here. But then again, it is your choice.

Angela

Zootlesque said:

(edited)
:yes: I agree completely. The more you post, the more you find people who share your opinions and make friends. This place is good fun. And $12 really isn't much.

PS: And Sicy is right. This place does pull you in. I took a break from this site when I went on vacation. Couldn't wait to log back in when I got back. It's addictive! :scream:

It's $1 a month which is like 3 or 4 cents a day. Cheap entertainment! :wink: And this is quite addictive. My daughter just said... You'll be a blue crack addict someday (referring to my current status, LOL). I'm already an addict, and when not here I think of which smileys I would use in certain situations. I don't have a lot of free time, but most of it has been spent here the last 4 or so months. And this is the only place where I can share my passion for U2 with others who feel the same. Hopefully when the band are back in the fall in L.A., I will meet up with others here from Interference, and I do look forward to that. It's worth it to me, and like arw said, it's the first place you look at online in the morning, and the last before bed. I don't see me wanting to leave anytime soon.

Group hug!
grouphug.gif

blahblahblah said:
I'm leaving Interference, I've really just had enough of it really...some people can be likeable at times but a majority of the time this place just gets on my nerves...

I'm tired of being at such a restrictive forum that makes you PAY if you want to read profiles! perform the most basic of searches! view attachments and loads more you get for FREE on ANY other forum it's insane...I don't care how big the forum is, there are MUCH better things you could think of for making us pay for a 'membership'...I'm a member of quite a few forums that are twice the size of interference and don't charge a penny, so the whole size issue is bullshit.

And I know some Mod will just come in here and say 'No-one's making you pay. Don't want to pay? Then DON'T...blah blah blah,' (no pun) and that brings me to another point...mods here are FAR too defensive whenever you question something to do with the forum...and ride around the forum on a self-righteous high horse closing threads as they see fit when they've had the last word, damning any right of reply, and basically being blunt with people asking perfectly reasonable questions and acting as if we should all know better...!

I hope you all have a nice time, but I think I need to carry on posting somewhere where opinions are heard and respected rather than wasting time I could be spending there, here...I do hope the forum cleans up it's act, introduces things WORTH paying for and admits what a crock of horse-shit that whole Edge incident was...I can't believe people would abuse the trust of U2's fans like that...

don't worry, I shan't be checking back for replies so perhaps a mod would like to come in, say how silly I am for questioning the forum and close the topic. :Wink:

Bye :wave:

Ps. If Jick isn't already back on the forums under another name (do an IP check, I guess) BRING HIM BACK. Seriously, people like him and StarvinMarvin are what made this forum interesting. I like people who can see the bad points and be honest about things instead of constantly gushing...

Who gives a shit?
Have a nice life tho. :wave:

I don't pay shit and still have a good time here; who gives a shit if I can't view a picture of someone's halloween costume from last year?

I do think some mod's have an attitude though:|

...(not sicy:hug: )

btw, in response to the original post, does that mean you jacked off before declaring your agenda?

I like people who can see the bad points and be honest about things instead of constantly gushing...

That's the majority of the people here, actually. Not like there's just two of them.

No one cares that you're leaving, this didn't deserve your own thread. If you had just stopped posting, no one would have noticed. What have you done that's so great?

Don't like it here? Then it's a good thing you left, otherwise I'd tell you to get your arse out. :wave: :dancing:

inmyplace13 said:
No one cares that you're leaving, this didn't deserve your own thread. If you had just stopped posting, no one would have noticed.

I care that he's leaving and I would've noticed if he'd stop posting. Some of you in this thread need to stop making such rude comments - some of which are rather hypocritical.

I personally don't like threads where someone declares their intention to leave, as they're usually just attention-seeking, and I also don't like it when people grovel for that person to return, but what's worst of all is when the thread turns into a rude, offensive "glad you're gone" thread that just proves the original poster's point.

And regarding the sense of community, I was here for over a year and had something like 3000-4000 posts before I really felt welcomed and considered people here to be friends. Maybe the size of the forum was a bit daunting for me.

Axver said:

I care that he's leaving and I would've noticed if he'd stop posting. Some of you in this thread need to stop making such rude comments - some of which are rather hypocritical.

I personally don't like threads where someone declares their intention to leave, as they're usually just attention-seeking, and I also don't like it when people grovel for that person to return, but what's worst of all is when the thread turns into a rude, offensive "glad you're gone" thread that just proves the original poster's point.

Excellent post! Agree 100%. :up:

let's be honest; there are clicks here just like in high school.

the funny thing is that you're not judged on your looks or popularity but rather on how well you type in a response on a computer.

umm.....so yeah, when ya gotta go ya gotta go.

bon voyagee.

Axver said:
I also don't like it when people grovel for that person to return, but what's worst of all is when the thread turns into a rude, offensive "glad you're gone" thread that just proves the original poster's point.

Uh...but this is EXACTLY what blahblahblah wanted:

blahblahblah said:
I like people who can see the bad points and be honest about things instead of constantly gushing...

WildHoneyAlways said:
Wasn't he just complaining about changing his name? Perhaps he'll be back with a new name. :shifty:

:lol: I'm suuuurre he'll be back!!! No one leaves. No one can ever leave.

You can check out but you can never leave!

You can never leave! :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom