In Defense Of DeathBear, old school Interference and Quagmire - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Who Is The Hottest?
DethVeggy 7 28.00%
Jay Leno 6 24.00%
Michael Owen 3 12.00%
Dutch Prime Minister Wim Kok 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2002, 08:12 PM   #1
french-tickling sausage eater

Local Time: 07:13 PM
In Defense Of DeathBear, old school Interference and Quagmire

I am back, you see, and writing in defense and support of deathbear.

Having not informed myself of any of the events of recent memory here, I can positively say that he is right 97% of the time.

PLEBA is the mature, intelligent equivalent of 14 yr old girls shrieking over Lance and Justin from NSync.

So then, what is there to do?

I feel that the biggest reason I'm not here anymore is that there is no sense of comeradierie like there used to be. Maybe that's due to the dearth of actual new U2 discusssion, but also there is a shocking disrespect to those of us that were around when this was a happy little family.

All of the new people that may or may not read this, I don't care about what you think I meant. Be offended. Shoot your neighbors dog for all I care. The fact is that this is a less enjoyable place because of your presence. So step off on Deathbear and show some respect for someone who's been around long before the new album came out and all you closet U2 fans on the bandwagon drank your "Bono is a star" Kool-Aid and decided to hang out here. Deathbear is a legend.

Elvis, I know you may get some complaints about this thread, or maybe no one will respond. But don't close it down. I would like to hear what the forum veterans think. And veteran means time, not posts. I don't have many posts yet I have been around for quite a long time.

So everytone who gives the bear crap, beware. Despite the lack of interest of the veterans here to close ranks and defend one of thier own for many reasons-some petty, some valid-I will defend the bear, starting today. Anyone who ridicules Zoomerang96 in any way will get it right back from me. And anyone who knows my posting history knows how creative I can be. I mean, hey, I won a popularity contest here once.

Be warned. Show respect to the elders of the forum, even if we are nonsensical and "weird" to you.

We've been here awhile. This is our board too.

Old 07-09-2002, 08:50 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:13 PM
veggggggy! long time no see. *hugs*

I think I'm veteran enough to count. emm, I believe that the lack of new U2 news/albums/tours does account for some of the fragmentation, but also the advent of the Private Messaging feature may have something to do with it as well. anyways, I'm not going to be around much longer as I'm off to europe again in a month.

but anyways, nice to have you back around.

Old 07-09-2002, 08:51 PM   #3

Figures....

No one has a response??

Not a defense of any kind??

And not even a hello from my old friends...

This place has definetly changed ....
Old 07-09-2002, 08:56 PM   #4

Wow!!

Finally, someone responds!!

It is good to see you again too...

And I think the fragging of the group is disasterous...

Numbers do not equate to quality
Old 07-09-2002, 10:52 PM   #5
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i'm probably not an old school poster of interference, and i don't even really read pleba, but i thought i'd at least spew a little bit of nonsense.

but, i do remember when i started reading and later posting at interference, it was like being welcomed warmly into a new family. now, i feel like i hardly know anyone on this forum, and i've actually started posting more on the forum than back when i originally joined.

why? i don't know. maybe i'm guilty by association. a lot of people wouldn't admit it, but i'm sure a lot of people do simply because i'm married to someone who's banned from here. the reception alone when i announced i'd be out of town for two weeks was frosty, whereas people post they're going to the bathroom and they get a bunch of "i'll miss you" stuff. no, i'm not jealous or bitter or anything. because actually, i thought of replying to that thread i'd started and saying "you know, if you're not gonna miss me or you couldn't care less that i'm leaving, then please, don't post. but if you feel for some reason the forum won't be the same while i'm gone or you feel a slight pang of something saying you might hope i have a good vacation, then by all means, wish me a bon voyage." but i was afraid i'd come off as whiney or bitchy. blah.

anyway, as i said, i'm not a reader of pleba. but, in their defense, it's just a little sub-community of interference. i don't see what the big deal is. as they've said before, if you don't like it, don't read it. i really don't care what they do in that forum, since i don't read it, it can't bother me. if it's something like pleba posters' mention of things that are inside jokes used outside of the pleba forum, so what? almost everyone here probably makes reference to things that at least one reader doesn't get.

i just don't see what the big deal about all this pleba-bashing is. i know i'm not a regular at that part of the forum, and i'm not friends with any of the posters at that forum, but hey, if this can make one person see pleba in a less harsh light, then i guess this post wasn't for naught after all.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:26 PM   #6

See, though, you ARE and old school poster, and that's the kind of garbage that I don't like....the responses to us are poor, and the fights we all got in were petty.

I think it's sad when people post to go to the bathroom
Old 07-09-2002, 11:31 PM   #7
Refugee

Oh, dude, did we have to bring this idiotic PLEBA-bashing into an entirely new forum? I really didn't want to get involved, but now I feel that I must.

I do believe I qualify as a forum veteran. So, as such, my opinions actually count, which is such a relief.

Of course new interferencers are going to change the landscape of the forum. Duh. It's kind of sad that the old, smaller interference is gone, but was inevitable after the new album came out and the tour began. Interference.com is supposed to be a place for U2 fans to meet and discuss U2, first and foremost. Not a private party. Some of the newer people on this forum are great. Some of the older people on this forum are not so great.

This may be a revolutionary concept, but I don't judge people on how long they've been here, or what their reputation is. I judge them on what they post. So, if a forum veteran posts something offensive and stupid, that forum veteran deserves to be blasted for it. I find deathbear funny a lot of the time. I find his crusade against PLEBA tiresome. So (still following me? yay!) when he - or anyone - posts something I agree with, I will post and agree. If he - or anyone - posts something I have issues with, I will post and disagree. Amazingly, this seems to work pretty well. It saves me the trouble of keeping track of lists of people I either like or don't like based on where they spend their time on interference, how long they've been here, what day of the week it is, what I'm wearing today, etc. Fancy!

So, that's my opinion. If there aren't a lot of threads that interest you, post threads that interest you. Start a thread for forum vets if you want, but you could try basing it on something constructive. Anybody around here planning on being a "new Best Of songs" virgin?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:23 AM   #8
Kid A

the new members are as uninspiring as the latest U2 album, this never would have happened during the Zooropa/Pop era
Old 07-10-2002, 01:00 AM   #9
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:13 PM

Hi DethVeggy!

We already settled the PLEBA deathbear discussion, he apologized and the threads were closed.

Let's not drag this out ok?

I'd like to leave this open so that your old friends can say hello, but if the remainder of the replies are repetitive and negative, I will close the thread down.

Nice to see you, you should check out Lemonade Stand. Its a tad more exciting.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:20 AM   #10
New Yorker

hey veg!!

howve u been?
Old 07-10-2002, 02:48 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:13 PM
*waves

hi dethveggy
Old 07-10-2002, 02:59 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:13 AM
I have been a member of this forum since December 2001
I have been a member of this forum since December 2001
I have been...

uh oh, People's Court.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:34 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:13 PM

hi dethveggy!

I love the bear.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:37 AM   #14
Acrobat

Re: In Defense Of DeathBear, old school Interference and Quagmire

Quote:
Originally posted by DethVeggy
I am back, you see, and writing in defense and support of deathbear.

Having not informed myself of any of the events of recent memory here, I can positively say that he is right 97% of the time.

PLEBA is the mature, intelligent equivalent of 14 yr old girls shrieking over Lance and Justin from NSync.

So then, what is there to do?

I feel that the biggest reason I'm not here anymore is that there is no sense of comeradierie like there used to be. Maybe that's due to the dearth of actual new U2 discusssion, but also there is a shocking disrespect to those of us that were around when this was a happy little family.

All of the new people that may or may not read this, I don't care about what you think I meant. Be offended. Shoot your neighbors dog for all I care. The fact is that this is a less enjoyable place because of your presence. So step off on Deathbear and show some respect for someone who's been around long before the new album came out and all you closet U2 fans on the bandwagon drank your "Bono is a star" Kool-Aid and decided to hang out here. Deathbear is a legend.

Elvis, I know you may get some complaints about this thread, or maybe no one will respond. But don't close it down. I would like to hear what the forum veterans think. And veteran means time, not posts. I don't have many posts yet I have been around for quite a long time.

So everytone who gives the bear crap, beware. Despite the lack of interest of the veterans here to close ranks and defend one of thier own for many reasons-some petty, some valid-I will defend the bear, starting today. Anyone who ridicules Zoomerang96 in any way will get it right back from me. And anyone who knows my posting history knows how creative I can be. I mean, hey, I won a popularity contest here once.

Be warned. Show respect to the elders of the forum, even if we are nonsensical and "weird" to you.

We've been here awhile. This is our board too.
So we should automatically show respect towards you and the rest of the "old school' interference even though you may show no respect for us "newbies"? Why does your opinion count more than mine or anyone elses? If I think deathbear is a moron (which I'm NOT saying, although I often haven't got a clue what the hell he is talking about), I'm not allowed to express that because I'm a "newbie"? Why is it so important to you?? when did interefernce become a "highschool click"? I mean no disrespect, I just would like to know where you are going from??
Old 07-10-2002, 08:28 AM   #15

Where I am coming from is simply this:

When you come to any new place, there should be a time period where you are a little more deferential. That's all. I don't like people harrassing friends of mine. I also don't like the way everyone is fragmented.

I'm really not trying to sound negative, but It does bother me that the place I loved so much has turned into something so big it's unrecognizable. It limits what I can say b/c before, people would get the joke; now, it's more that likely if I posted as I did before, people would either flame me or complain. And I don't like that...maybe I just miss the closeness of it all.

And to all my friends out there, Hi! I missed you all. Nellie, Brettig, Sula, Calluna and Sicy-I'm glad to see you all. Hope you're all well!