In Defense Of DeathBear, old school Interference and Quagmire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who Is The Hottest?

• DethVeggy

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Jay Leno

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Michael Owen

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Dutch Prime Minister Wim Kok

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters

DethVeggy

french-tickling sausage eater
I am back, you see, and writing in defense and support of deathbear.

Having not informed myself of any of the events of recent memory here, I can positively say that he is right 97% of the time.

PLEBA is the mature, intelligent equivalent of 14 yr old girls shrieking over Lance and Justin from NSync.

So then, what is there to do?

I feel that the biggest reason I'm not here anymore is that there is no sense of comeradierie like there used to be. Maybe that's due to the dearth of actual new U2 discusssion, but also there is a shocking disrespect to those of us that were around when this was a happy little family.

All of the new people that may or may not read this, I don't care about what you think I meant. Be offended. Shoot your neighbors dog for all I care. The fact is that this is a less enjoyable place because of your presence. So step off on Deathbear and show some respect for someone who's been around long before the new album came out and all you closet U2 fans on the bandwagon drank your "Bono is a star" Kool-Aid and decided to hang out here. Deathbear is a legend.

Elvis, I know you may get some complaints about this thread, or maybe no one will respond. But don't close it down. I would like to hear what the forum veterans think. And veteran means time, not posts. I don't have many posts yet I have been around for quite a long time.

So everytone who gives the bear crap, beware. Despite the lack of interest of the veterans here to close ranks and defend one of thier own for many reasons-some petty, some valid-I will defend the bear, starting today. Anyone who ridicules Zoomerang96 in any way will get it right back from me. And anyone who knows my posting history knows how creative I can be. I mean, hey, I won a popularity contest here once.

Be warned. Show respect to the elders of the forum, even if we are nonsensical and "weird" to you.

We've been here awhile. This is our board too.

veggggggy! long time no see. :) *hugs*

I think I'm veteran enough to count. emm, I believe that the lack of new U2 news/albums/tours does account for some of the fragmentation, but also the advent of the Private Messaging feature may have something to do with it as well. anyways, I'm not going to be around much longer as I'm off to europe again in a month.

but anyways, nice to have you back around. :)

Figures....

No one has a response??

Not a defense of any kind??

And not even a hello from my old friends...

This place has definetly changed ....

Wow!!

Finally, someone responds!!

It is good to see you again too...

And I think the fragging of the group is disasterous...

Numbers do not equate to quality

i'm probably not an old school poster of interference, and i don't even really read pleba, but i thought i'd at least spew a little bit of nonsense.

but, i do remember when i started reading and later posting at interference, it was like being welcomed warmly into a new family. now, i feel like i hardly know anyone on this forum, and i've actually started posting more on the forum than back when i originally joined.

why? i don't know. maybe i'm guilty by association. a lot of people wouldn't admit it, but i'm sure a lot of people do simply because i'm married to someone who's banned from here. the reception alone when i announced i'd be out of town for two weeks was frosty, whereas people post they're going to the bathroom and they get a bunch of "i'll miss you" stuff. no, i'm not jealous or bitter or anything. because actually, i thought of replying to that thread i'd started and saying "you know, if you're not gonna miss me or you couldn't care less that i'm leaving, then please, don't post. but if you feel for some reason the forum won't be the same while i'm gone or you feel a slight pang of something saying you might hope i have a good vacation, then by all means, wish me a bon voyage." but i was afraid i'd come off as whiney or bitchy. blah.

anyway, as i said, i'm not a reader of pleba. but, in their defense, it's just a little sub-community of interference. i don't see what the big deal is. as they've said before, if you don't like it, don't read it. i really don't care what they do in that forum, since i don't read it, it can't bother me. if it's something like pleba posters' mention of things that are inside jokes used outside of the pleba forum, so what? almost everyone here probably makes reference to things that at least one reader doesn't get.

i just don't see what the big deal about all this pleba-bashing is. i know i'm not a regular at that part of the forum, and i'm not friends with any of the posters at that forum, but hey, if this can make one person see pleba in a less harsh light, then i guess this post wasn't for naught after all.

See, though, you ARE and old school poster, and that's the kind of garbage that I don't like....the responses to us are poor, and the fights we all got in were petty.

I think it's sad when people post to go to the bathroom

Oh, dude, did we have to bring this idiotic PLEBA-bashing into an entirely new forum? I really didn't want to get involved, but now I feel that I must.

I do believe I qualify as a forum veteran. So, as such, my opinions actually count, which is such a relief.

Of course new interferencers are going to change the landscape of the forum. Duh. It's kind of sad that the old, smaller interference is gone, but was inevitable after the new album came out and the tour began. Interference.com is supposed to be a place for U2 fans to meet and discuss U2, first and foremost. Not a private party. Some of the newer people on this forum are great. Some of the older people on this forum are not so great.

This may be a revolutionary concept, but I don't judge people on how long they've been here, or what their reputation is. I judge them on what they post. So, if a forum veteran posts something offensive and stupid, that forum veteran deserves to be blasted for it. I find deathbear funny a lot of the time. I find his crusade against PLEBA tiresome. So (still following me? yay!) when he - or anyone - posts something I agree with, I will post and agree. If he - or anyone - posts something I have issues with, I will post and disagree. Amazingly, this seems to work pretty well. It saves me the trouble of keeping track of lists of people I either like or don't like based on where they spend their time on interference, how long they've been here, what day of the week it is, what I'm wearing today, etc. Fancy!

So, that's my opinion. If there aren't a lot of threads that interest you, post threads that interest you. Start a thread for forum vets if you want, but you could try basing it on something constructive. Anybody around here planning on being a "new Best Of songs" virgin?

Hi DethVeggy!

wavey.gif

We already settled the PLEBA deathbear discussion, he apologized and the threads were closed.

Let's not drag this out ok?

I'd like to leave this open so that your old friends can say hello, but if the remainder of the replies are repetitive and negative, I will close the thread down.

Nice to see you, you should check out Lemonade Stand. Its a tad more exciting. :)

I have been a member of this forum since December 2001
I have been a member of this forum since December 2001
I have been...

uh oh, People's Court.

DethVeggy said:
I am back, you see, and writing in defense and support of deathbear.

Having not informed myself of any of the events of recent memory here, I can positively say that he is right 97% of the time.

PLEBA is the mature, intelligent equivalent of 14 yr old girls shrieking over Lance and Justin from NSync.

So then, what is there to do?

I feel that the biggest reason I'm not here anymore is that there is no sense of comeradierie like there used to be. Maybe that's due to the dearth of actual new U2 discusssion, but also there is a shocking disrespect to those of us that were around when this was a happy little family.

All of the new people that may or may not read this, I don't care about what you think I meant. Be offended. Shoot your neighbors dog for all I care. The fact is that this is a less enjoyable place because of your presence. So step off on Deathbear and show some respect for someone who's been around long before the new album came out and all you closet U2 fans on the bandwagon drank your "Bono is a star" Kool-Aid and decided to hang out here. Deathbear is a legend.

Elvis, I know you may get some complaints about this thread, or maybe no one will respond. But don't close it down. I would like to hear what the forum veterans think. And veteran means time, not posts. I don't have many posts yet I have been around for quite a long time.

So everytone who gives the bear crap, beware. Despite the lack of interest of the veterans here to close ranks and defend one of thier own for many reasons-some petty, some valid-I will defend the bear, starting today. Anyone who ridicules Zoomerang96 in any way will get it right back from me. And anyone who knows my posting history knows how creative I can be. I mean, hey, I won a popularity contest here once.

Be warned. Show respect to the elders of the forum, even if we are nonsensical and "weird" to you.

We've been here awhile. This is our board too.

So we should automatically show respect towards you and the rest of the "old school' interference even though you may show no respect for us "newbies"? Why does your opinion count more than mine or anyone elses? If I think deathbear is a moron (which I'm NOT saying, although I often haven't got a clue what the hell he is talking about), I'm not allowed to express that because I'm a "newbie"? Why is it so important to you?? when did interefernce become a "highschool click"? I mean no disrespect, I just would like to know where you are going from??

Where I am coming from is simply this:

When you come to any new place, there should be a time period where you are a little more deferential. That's all. I don't like people harrassing friends of mine. I also don't like the way everyone is fragmented.

I'm really not trying to sound negative, but It does bother me that the place I loved so much has turned into something so big it's unrecognizable. It limits what I can say b/c before, people would get the joke; now, it's more that likely if I posted as I did before, people would either flame me or complain. And I don't like that...maybe I just miss the closeness of it all.

And to all my friends out there, Hi! I missed you all. Nellie, Brettig, Sula, Calluna and Sicy-I'm glad to see you all. Hope you're all well!

I know i am "newbie-esk" but I want to add..

I don't really know if you want or care what my opinion is. I just wanted to say that I see your point on both the friend and old school issues. I don't think anyone likes when there friends are jacked with. I am sorry you do not like where the forum has gone either. I was not here "back in the day" so I do not know what it was like, but I can see how you would miss it if there was a better sense of family and closeness as you say. Who would not miss that.

"To change and to change for the better are two different things."

i like your name mr. veggy.

i will agree with gheto. i tried not to be annoying when i first joined but now i've been around enough so i feel justified when acting like a freak. i also :heart: the little bear. i'm sorry you are sad mr veggy. i voted for dutch prime minister wim kok. have a good day.

Hi Dethveggy, nice to see you back. :)

KhanadaRhodes said:
a lot of people wouldn't admit it, but i'm sure a lot of people do simply because i'm married to someone who's banned from here. the reception alone when i announced i'd be out of town for two weeks was frosty, whereas people post they're going to the bathroom and they get a bunch of "i'll miss you" stuff.

I don't think that's the reason Khanada... I don't even know Dr. Gonzo is banned! (maybe I'm a bit insensitive... :huh:) Maybe people didn't notice the post... maybe... Hm... I don't know.

Back to the 'newbie getting offensed' problem. I think it's the sense of humour of some of the 'old school' interferencers is a bit too difficult and too sacastic to understand if the reader didn't be here long enough. You can't deny that some of the comments they made are quite offensive if they're being taken too seriously!

Last edited:
Sorry, but i don't buy the "old posters should be respected, but newbies should keep it quiet" attitude.

For starters, everyone should be treated with respect - and it goes both ways: just as an "oldie" will come up with a good thread, so can a newbie. Personally i try to reply (or at least) read at the most interesting thread regardless of the author.

Oh and IMO bear was out of line in the PLEBA incident. I'm aware that bear will always be bear and that he has a special way of thoughts - but that is no excuse to go and push people's buttons.

IMO some more, i think that "show some respect" demand can come off arrogant to some people. You don't just go out and say "Here i am, now everyone respect me". Respect is earned, it can't be just granted on demand.
I'd rather be respected for something good/nice/smart i said, not because i'm a veteran or older than some posters.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Oh and IMO bear was out of line.

oh, and thanks for your valuable opinion. everyone crosses the line at one point or another, and you are definately no exception.

i will not even touch the pleba matter at this time due to a recent promise.

as for the whole newbie issue, wanderer hit the nail right on the head with the analogy of newbies being as unispiring as u2's latest album.

luckily however, u2 is coming out with a new album next year, by the looks of things.

sorry veggy, i really cannot let lose at this time, cause i dont really want to be banned. forgive me.

thanks for the nice words though, much appreciated.

Zoomerang96 said:

oh, and thanks for your valuable opinion. everyone crosses the line at one point or another, and you are definately no exception.

Oh now, what's the matter? Can't handle the truth?

True - i am no exception, that's why i know what i'm talking about. But unlike you, i changed and i stopped pissing people off.

You yourself said "i'll tone it down" and took back what you said - so you do realise you were wrong. It's not like it's the first time people have a problem with your posts.

Last edited:
enooooooough already

U2girl said:

Oh now, what's the matter? Can't handle the truth?

True - i am no exception, that's why i know what i'm talking about. But unlike you, i changed and i stopped pissing people off.

You yourself said "i'll tone it down" and took back what you said - so you do realise you were wrong. It's not like it's the first time people have a problem with your posts.

working for a newspaper, i know how to distort the truth better than anyone else.

you stopped pissing people off?

i did not take back what i said. i barely even apologized. i simply said i was finished discussing the matter. i did not backtrack, i simply halted my offensive, and i will continue to do so, for i do not need to make the moderators anymore work. theyre good people.

if people dont have a problem with my posts, then im not being very effective am i? everyone needs an enemy so that there can be a hero.

without hero's wed never have chad krueger singing about them, and heaven knows how awful that would be.

i'm eating vegetables.

Screaming Flower said:
i will agree with gheto. i tried not to be annoying when i first joined but now i've been around enough so i feel justified when acting like a freak. i also :heart: the little bear. i'm sorry you are sad mr veggy. i voted for dutch prime minister wim kok. have a good day.

:yes: Everything she said.

DethVeggy said:
Where I am coming from is simply this:

When you come to any new place, there should be a time period where you are a little more deferential. That's all. I don't like people harrassing friends of mine. I also don't like the way everyone is fragmented.

I'm really not trying to sound negative, but It does bother me that the place I loved so much has turned into something so big it's unrecognizable. It limits what I can say b/c before, people would get the joke; now, it's more that likely if I posted as I did before, people would either flame me or complain. And I don't like that...maybe I just miss the closeness of it all.

And to all my friends out there, Hi! I missed you all. Nellie, Brettig, Sula, Calluna and Sicy-I'm glad to see you all. Hope you're all well!

allright, that's fair enough, but unfortunately with this place as big as it is, the "inside jokes" that you may share may accross as offensive or whatever... I do agree that EVERYONE needs to be a little more tolerant and less "my sh@% doesn't stink" like. WE are all a part of a community here, and just because it's large, the largeness doesn't mean we can't all be close. I think we should have a big group hug!!!!! I think that given time, any member gets to be better understood, the problen often times is that newer members are afraid to express themselves for fear of being discredited or put down solely based on their "newbie status" which isn't fair. anyway, hope we can be friends dethveggy!!!!!!

glad to see that people are getting the Veg's sense of humor.

oh btw, Veggy...some of us are gonna be down in Chi-town the weekend of July 26th. Wanna say hi? :D

First of all, I am suprised at the strong showing of Dutch Prime Minister Wim Kok...VERY suprised. He is the coolest ever European Leader named Wim.

I can agree with some of what is being said about how respect is earned, but then, there is the age old adage of "Respect Your Elders"....

And hey, I understand that my bizarre sense of humor and outwardly violent rants can turn people off, but hey, it's all in fun. And how much fun would a Veggy post be without some weird rant or quasi-offensive-to-someone diatribe? It's all about the fun. It's not serious. Did anyone here really think I would take it out on Montreal should I be elected "Most Popular?

Nah...

Oh, and Chicago? I will be there if someone wants to tell me where and when. After all, I own Chicago. It's me hometown!

Back
Top Bottom