Impromptu Album Listening party: Spilt Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
My plans for tonite fell through. And I've recently rediscovered one of the greatest albums of all time. Spilt Milk by Jellyfish.

I'm gonna listen at 11PM EST, about 2 & 1/2 hours from now. Uploading as I write this.

More thoughts to come.

If you'd like to join me, leave an email, and I'll forward the album.

Good God, I love this record.

Ah, Spilt Milk. A gem of the 90's. An undiscovered classic. The album that defines the "Power-Pop" genre.

smcover.jpg

This record was released in February, 1993. I bought it the day of it's release. Drove home, and spend the next few day devouring it. Listening loud. 4 roomies entralled as well. Bongs, beer, sober. It didn't matter. This became our "go to" record. We all could agree on it. We all could sing along to it. We all would put it in the player. It was never turned off until it was done playing. Which was amazing since I was the resident U2 fan, another was the resident Cure fan, another was the resident "indie" rock fan, and another was the resident "metal head", and yet another was the resident "Dead" head. My girlfriend wound up buying a copy. As did her best friend. Schemp bought a copy. Mac bought a copy. My sister bought a copy. My brother already had a copy. And on, and on. Simply put, anyone I knew who loved music, who heard this record, went out and bought it. It became ubiquitous. If you didn't have "Spilt Milk", you were a shithead.

To this day, when I visit an old friend, and browse their record collection, I inevitably come across "Spilt Milk." I smile and shake my head, "yeah, awesome."

I'm in, amakaxver[at]gmail.com

Shame you missed the Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream listening party.

Now, if your worried about the size of your dick, you won't want to listen to Jellyfish (I can't think of an equal female analogy, boobs perhaps, but you get the idea)

You can't pose to it. It doesn't make you part of any scene. You can't dress the part. It isn't "cool."

If you love melody, this is the ultimate album (it's got it up the wha-zoo.) It rocks, it pops, it sways, it dances. It even does a little polka. It's Queen/The Beatles/Badfinger/The Beach Boys/Nilsson/Kiss/Supertramp in a blender. Everyone sings. That's right. The drummer sings lead. The guitar player sings. The bass player sings. The piano player sings. And they sing well. It's a perfect record. The band is trying. Real hard. No embelishment is spared. Do it. Put it on. Play it. Layer it on. "A Night At The Opera" kind of ambition, and "A Night At The Opera" kind of success.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

Yeah, I've been in wedding season.

Can you send me that album?

Ah, I was wondering where you'd got to but no-one chimed in with any info.

I'm uploading Stupid Dream now. I'll probably do the second listening party in my series soon. Won't do a vote because I already know Dream Theater's Images And Words will win; plus, it's such an important album in the history of prog that anyone who wants to know anything about the genre post-1992 needs to hear it.

Now, Jellyfish are much more than just their influences. Hanging all that talent on a crap song just won't do. Hanging all that talent on great songs is more like it. Infact, it's what keeps them from being merely derivative. It's candy coated steak and potatoes. Andy Strumner's and Roger Manning's lyrics have the sweet of sugar in sound, but the bite of a bulldog in thought. Very little here is "happy". There's alot of piss and vinegar. And the influences are managed in a structure to gain maximum effect. Melody is key. Beauty is key. Force is key. But it's all binded into purpose with arrangements and lyrics that give birth to something new. Something fucking awesome.

Last edited:
Ah well. This band rules. Free record. To pass it by, is the ultimate loss.

They played it live as well as they put it on record. Saw them 3 times. They split in 1994. 2 classic records.

Andy(singer/drummer) went to Japan or Maine. Genius in exile.

Roger(piano/keys) went on to play keys for Beck.

Tim(bass) played bass for Sheryl Crow.

Eric(live guitar) sang in Slash's Snake Pit.

Jason Faulkner (Guitar) has a thriving solo career. Go buy Jason Faulkner records.

Jon Brion (Album Guitar) played on that "Magnolia" soundtrack, and the indie kids love him.

Lyle Workman(Album Guitar) I don't know where he went.

I'm looking forward to hearing this. I hope some other folk come onboard.

Ax, I gotta give it to ya. You are one of the most opinionated pricks on this board. But you're always up for something new. That's ace.

That's really fucking ace. :up:

What's the point of being an opinionated prick if you don't have a good, at-least-I-tried-it basis for your opinions? :wink:

Hush.

Name me one band nowadays who sing like that?

None.

Shit singing is all the rage. I like bands who try. Bands who try and succeed.

thanks MrBrau but I'll pass. Not my cup of tea. When you have a Raconteurs listening party, let me know :wink: Saw them last night and they were great! Wish I could have gone tonite too, but... I can't :(

Ah, hell, it's start time already? I thought we had another hour. How far behind am I?

OK, starting at New Mistake. I'm peeved I messed up the timezones.

Hush.

Name me one band nowadays who sing like that?

None.

Shit singing is all the rage. I like bands who try. Bands who try and succeed.

MrBrau1 said:
Oh, yes. Use the volume on "Fanclub" is has TONS of earphone candy

One step ahead of you. I'm liking this song a fair bit. :up:

Back
Top Bottom