Impromptu Album Listening party: Spilt Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Baby Dream In Cellophane.

There's a great Steven Wilson quote about this song:

The baby in the song is basically singing the song: 'I am in my pram'. And it's quite a cynical song because he's basically saying that the boy's life is almost mapped out already as the child is born, it's already predetermined by society and the baby's kind of singing from the pram if you like, saying 'well, actually no, I'm not going to go down this path that's been laid out for me. I'm gonna break out.' It's almost like a very surreal teen rebellion song. If you imagine Nirvana, if they wrote about rebellious teenagers, I write songs for rebellious babies.

Stranger By The Minute.

Seems like an upbeat song, but it's actually quite sick and twisted.

The chorus is great though:

Strange as I seem
I'm getting stranger by the minute
Look in my dream
It's getting stranger by the minute

Could be said about me and some of my friends. :wink:

A Smart Kid. This took a bit of time to grow on me, but one part of it has always affected me every time:

And I will wait for you
Until the sky is blue
And I will wait for you
What else can I do?

The song itself is about the sole survivor of an all-out nuclear war.

Tinto Brass.

My least favourite song on the album, but still a good instrumental. The Japanese sample at the start is spoken by Steven Wilson's Japanese girlfriend.

Stop Swimming.

An amazing closer with beautiful singing. These are some of the best lyrics I have ever heard:

This song leaks out onto the pavement
It could be a joke, it could be a statement
The more that I fake it and pretend I don't care
The more you can read into what isn't there

And that's the album. I think it was the best of 1999, just beating out Anathema's masterpiece, Judgement.

What did you think, Brau?

MrBrau1 said:
I'm still enjoying "Stop Swimming"

Good record. It's a workout. Long. But worth it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It will be interesting to see how the rest of my prog albums go down, especially the prog metal ones. Hopefully not too bad, as I left out any prog metal with death growls.

I wonder when to do Dream Theater's Images And Words listening party. Maybe this coming week or next ...

MrBrau1 said:
My plans for tonite fell through. And I've recently rediscovered one of the greatest albums of all time. Spilt Milk by Jellyfish.

I'm gonna listen at 11PM EST, about 2 & 1/2 hours from now. Uploading as I write this.

More thoughts to come.

If you'd like to join me, leave an email, and I'll forward the album.

Good God, I love this record.

This thread has piqued my interest...I'd love to hear Spilt Milk, Mr Brau...thanks

njf377@gmail.com

MrBrau1 said:
My plans for tonite fell through. And I've recently rediscovered one of the greatest albums of all time. Spilt Milk by Jellyfish.

I'm gonna listen at 11PM EST, about 2 & 1/2 hours from now. Uploading as I write this.

More thoughts to come.

If you'd like to join me, leave an email, and I'll forward the album.

Good God, I love this record.

Great album Brau, thanks. :up:

The truely amazing thing about Jellyfish, was their ability to translate all that studio work into a live setting.

They were a white hot live band.

Check out these bootleg tracks:

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?actionfiltered=download&ufid=6C6F0C9E1AF41376

See what I mean? And the singer/drummer is standing up, playing the drums as he sings lead.

I like Jellyfish a good deal. Surprised to see such a big topic on them, because most people don't seem to know them very well. I like Bellybutton better than Spilt Milk, though.

I was just checking back a few pages to see if I missed an Interference Listening Party announcement, I see I missed this one. Could I still get that album MrBrau? Pattip2000@hotmail.com

Axver- you have totally turned me onto Porcupine Tree, I got In Absentia last week. Love it too!

Back
Top Bottom