Impromptu Album Listening party: Spilt Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrBrau1 said:

Yeah. 12 minutes left on the download.

Notice how the end of "Spilt Milk" was the same note as the start of "Spilt Milk"?

Ala Queen, "Day At The Races". Fucking Puurfect.

New thread? Or shall we keep our motors running?

I think we should just stick with this thread. Tell me when you're ready to go.

I like what Dream Theater did with their last few albums: the last note of the previous album was the first of the next. Created some good flow.

I'm warming up for this party by playing some other great PT. Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is such a bloody good instrumental. :drool:

Shame it got consigned to an EP that few people have.

Lyrics: http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/porcupinetree/stupiddream.html#1

Cover:

Porcupine_tree_stupid_dream.jpg

MrBrau1 said:
Nice Ax. Nice.

:)

There's a 14 minute version of Even Less on an out-takes/unreleased compilation CD, but I prefer this version. That's mainly because I dislike the lyrical content of what was cut from the Stupid Dream version though.

Steven Wilson, vocals and guitar, is the heart and soul of PT. The guy's an amazing musician, and crazily prolific too. He always seems to be recording albums for a number of bands/side projects or producing other people's albums. The best part that he's totally self-taught.

Stupid Dream is essentially his criticism of the state of music. The title refers to how a lot of teenage musicians dream of becoming famous, living a comfortable life and playing the music they love to make, but the reality is harshly different to what was really just a "stupid dream".

Credit me with some intelligence
If not just credit me
I come in value packs of ten
In five varieties

:lol: What a great chorus.

Stupid Dream.

The title track ... is just random sonic noise acting as Piano Lessons' outro. Bit of a "WTF" there.

(And Piano Lessons may soon overtake One Tree Hill as my most played song on last.fm. How weird.)

Pure Narcotic.

Spot the Radiohead reference.

Also has one of my favourite lyrics on the album.

MrBrau1 said:
This is not prog-rock. Far too many acoustic guitars. Pure Narcotic

Steven Wilson doesn't like the term prog rock, he thinks his music is too simple for that label.

I know some people prefer to term PT as "art rock", though whatever the case, after Dream Theater, PT are the darlings of the prog universe at the moment.

The last two Porcupine Tree albums have quite a strong metal influence. The earlier albums are very Pink Floydian. Stupid Dream is in the middle.

Slave Called Shiver. I love the bass on this one, bassist Colin Edwin carries this song.

MrBrau1 said:
"You have me listening to the bends"

Winner.

The line I like is "dreaming on a railway track". But I'm a railfan, so who's surprised? :wink:

Don't Hate Me. A twisted song of unrequited love and stalking ... with a saxophone solo to boot!

MrBrau1 said:
Exactly. Behind a giant beat.

If I ever see Porcupine Tree live - which isn't likely unless I'm lucky enough to be in the right part of the Northern Hemisphere at the same time they're touring - I really hope they play Slave Called Shiver just because I can imagine that bass shaking the roof off the venue.

Don't Hate Me is honestly my second-least favourite song on the album, behind Tinto Brass, but still, the sax solo is a nice addition.

This Is No Rehearsal.

My second favourite on the album. Great, great song.

I said it on the original party, and I'll say it again: Bono NEEDS to snippet This Is No Rehearsal at the end of The Fly, as Edge rocks it out.

I've gotta go, yeah, I'm running out change
There's a lot of things, if I could I'd rearrange
But this is no rehearsal
Play it back and throw things at the screen
This is no rehearsal!
Somebody interpret this for me!
This - is - no - rehearsal!
PLAY IT BACK AND THROW - THINGS - AT - THE - SCREEN!
THROW THINGS AT THE SCREEN!

Would've been awesome on Popmart, had U2 played The Fly and had This Is No Rehearsal existed prior to 1999. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom